Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: AndyD. on November 03, 2008, 03:05:21 AM
Now I've got to know whom Killer Bob is (laughing)

The frightening figure with long hair from Twin Peaks...

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: Jezetha on November 03, 2008, 03:15:54 AM
The frightening figure with long hair from Twin Peaks...

GAD!I didn't think they were frightening! Just some big, goofy metal dude who loves Wagner.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: AndyD. on November 03, 2008, 03:28:33 AM

GAD!I didn't think they were frightening! Just some big, goofy metal dude who loves Wagner.

That's why I was joking - the 'big, goofy metal dude' is the complete opposite of Killer Bob! And he wears glasses. But his long blonde hair reminded me of him... Make of this what you will!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Haffner

Quote from: Jezetha on November 03, 2008, 03:44:12 AM
That's why I was joking - the 'big, goofy metal dude' is the complete opposite of Killer Bob! And he wears glasses. But his long blonde hair reminded me of him... Make of this what you will!

I'm smiling because I finally "got" the irony. I can be extremely dumb.

You rock, J.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2008, 08:50:45 AM
I share a taste for the paintings of Caspar David Friedrich with Solitary Wanderer but another of my favourites is Louis Corinth. Here is his 'Ecce Homo', Christ between the forces of science and militarism.

Priceless. Thank you for posting it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

pjme

Quote from: Harry's Corner on November 03, 2008, 01:41:25 AM[/img]

Harry, I have a ..slight feeling that this is..not an, hmm, real Degas?  :o

And, although I enjoy the series of idealized and hyper-elegant Pre Raphaelite / art Nouveau women...not all women are ethereal fairy-like creatures...

pjme

pjme

Karl SCHMIDT-ROTTLUFF

Ludwig Kirchner

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

There's a Dutch Painter, Carel Willink (1900-1983) whose work I like. Here is his "Simeon" from 1939. Evidently a premonition of war. A great atmospheric work.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, Willink! He was extremely famous when I was young (60s-70s). His young widow Mathilde was quite a character. She appeared on Dutch tv very often and died tragically young (suicide or in mysterious circumstances, I can't really remember).

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 03, 2008, 08:50:39 AM
Yes, Willink! He was extremely famous when I was young (60s-70s). His young widow Mathilde was quite a character. She appeared on Dutch tv very often and died tragically young (suicide or in mysterious circumstances, I can't really remember).

That's interesting Johan. I have a book about him. Probably bought in the 70s or 80s, unfortunately (for me) all in Dutch but with great photos of his works. There is a website I see by Sylvia Willink. His daughter I guess. here is another ominous painting by Willink, which appeals to me too:

Added later. Sylvia was his wife. He seems to have married many times.

karlhenning

That would be more ominous, if it was Lakehurst, NJ.

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on November 03, 2008, 09:01:24 AM
That would be more ominous, if it was Lakehurst, NJ.

Yes, I take your point Karl.

karlhenning

Mom and I watched a show on the History Channel about the Hindenburg . . . and it is astonishing how many survivors there were, and how narrow the window was for their winning their way to safety.  What a dreadful event!

pjme

Those were the days, my friend....: Mathilde 1976

photo by J.Smulders

Mathilde's look was -for a large part- determined by the creations of fashion designer extraordinaire Fong Leng.

Well, what is it? Plain bad taste or originality?

P.

pjme

Nina Hagen

Velasquez - Picasso

Dundonnell

Coming late to this thread, so, apologies if this has been posted before.

Goes well with my interest in Polar Exploration and love for Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antartica :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Jeffrey - I just looked up some info about Mathilde Willink (1938-1977) - she was Willink's third wife. They separated in June 1977 and in October that same year she was found dead in her bed, while having an affair with a car (and drugs) dealer, who had his shop across the road from my cousin's house in Amsterdam North (and this last fact is not to be found on the Internet!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2008, 08:55:02 AM
That's interesting Johan. I have a book about him. Probably bought in the 70s or 80s, unfortunately (for me) all in Dutch but with great photos of his works. There is a website I see by Sylvia Willink. His daughter I guess. here is another ominous painting by Willink, which appeals to me too:

Added later. Sylvia was his wife. He seems to have married many times.

Re that painting with the Zeppelin - every Amsterdamer recognizes the house to the right immediately, it's on Stadhouderskade. Willink very often put real houses in his paintings, so that some of them were (and are) even called 'Willink-huizen'.