Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Awesome art on this page.

pjme

The mad woman 1919 - Chaim Soutine

Kullervo

Peter, have you studied art? I am always impressed by the breadth of your knowledge; you've also put many artists on my radar that I hadn't known about (e.g. James Ensor, Rik Wouters, and many others).

Drasko

Drasko

Quote from: pjme on November 03, 2008, 07:14:57 AM
And, although I enjoy the series of idealized and hyper-elegant Pre Raphaelite / art Nouveau women...not all women are ethereal fairy-like creatures...

But thankfully some are

Ekaterina Maximova as Katya, The Stone Flower (1959) Photo: Y. Umnov

Kullervo

Slightly off the topic at hand, but does anyone have a reasonably-sized image of the series of portraits of Carl Nielsen goofing off for the camera? I've seen it before but can't seem to find it again.

Wanderer

Quote from: Jezetha on November 01, 2008, 09:40:45 AM
I like this one by Lovis Corinth, too:

Which, incidentally, does look amazingly like a Corinthian landscape (the plains before the Isthmus and the mountains of Arcadia in the background).

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2008, 08:45:24 AM
There's a Dutch Painter, Carel Willink (1900-1983) whose work I like. Here is his "Simeon" from 1939. Evidently a premonition of war. A great atmospheric work.

And this must be Symeon Stylites. Fascinating.

vandermolen

Max Beckman 'Departure' German 1932-33.

I find this a moving work despite the gruesomeness of the side panels. The central picture; an anonymous boatman taking the king and his family away (to safety) was painted in Germany before Beckman left for the USA, away from the Nazis. To avoid problems with the Nazi authorities Beckman called it 'Scenes from Shakespeare's The Tempest'!

:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

When Harry met Jeffrey - tastes couldn't be more different...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Corey on November 03, 2008, 03:51:05 PM
Slightly off the topic at hand, but does anyone have a reasonably-sized image of the series of portraits of Carl Nielsen goofing off for the camera? I've seen it before but can't seem to find it again.

I am interested.

Kullervo

I'm starting to think Rossetti knew only one facial type. ;D

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on November 04, 2008, 06:04:00 AM
I'm starting to think Rossetti knew only one facial type. ;D

Result of a catastrophic shortage of models in (prudish) Victorian England? [half-joking]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kullervo

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 05:58:48 AM
I am interested.

I can only find one, but there are several others. Has to be the best composer portrait ever  ;D:

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on November 04, 2008, 06:13:28 AM
I can only find one, but there are several others. Has to be the best composer portrait ever  ;D:

I know them. They were in the booklet accompanying the Ole Schmidt recordings (LPs), almost 30 years ago. I was very surprised at Nielsen's mimic talent.

karlhenning

I have a fondness for composers who can readily not take themselves seriously.  But who don't think they came from another planet; be fair.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 06:17:58 AM
I have a fondness for composers who can readily not take themselves seriously.  But who don't think they came from another planet; be fair.

So have I. But I don't get the next sentence, Karl. Who has to 'be fair' about what?

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 06:17:58 AM

I love the old anecdote about Richard Strauss, while conducting one of his own compositions, reaching into his waistcoat pocket with his left hand, extracting his watch, looking at the time, and increasing the tempo of the piece because he was late for a game of skat with his buddies :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on November 04, 2008, 06:26:00 AM
So have I. But I don't get the next sentence, Karl. Who has to 'be fair' about what?

Claiming extraterrestrial origins is taking oneself unseriously to a degree for which I cannot feel much fondness, I guess.