Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 06:38:44 AM
Claiming extraterrestrial origins is taking oneself unseriously to a degree for which I cannot feel much fondness, I guess.

Ah, I understand... But which composer claimed that? Scriabin?! (Or are you joking?...)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kullervo

Stockhausen claimed to be from the star Sirius.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 04, 2008, 06:33:49 AM
I love the old anecdote about Richard Strauss, while conducting one of his own compositions, reaching into his waistcoat pocket with his left hand, extracting his watch, looking at the time, and increasing the tempo of the piece because he was late for a game of skat with his buddies :)

Man, that's like most people speeding . . . you don't gain that much time over that distance to justify the reckless conducting, erm, motoring!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on November 04, 2008, 07:52:50 AM
Stockhausen claimed to be from the star Sirius.

I didn't know that.  :-[ But it doesn't surprise me... Thanks.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

But it should surprise you! Resist the idea that temperamental artists are next-door to a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal!

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 08:01:06 AM
But it should surprise you! Resist the idea that temperamental artists are next-door to a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal!

"Two great nations divided by a common language" ;D ;D

"...next-door to a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal!"

Please...could you translate? ;D ;D

karlhenning

"A couple of fries short of a Happy Meal" is a McDonalds-centric adaptation of two bricks shy of a load, i.e., "not all there."

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 08:11:45 AM
"A couple of fries short of a Happy Meal" is a McDonalds-centric adaptation of two bricks shy of a load, i.e., "not all there."

Ah!! What we in the Old Country would call 'not the full shilling'. I did sort of guess as much ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 04, 2008, 05:55:32 AM
When Harry met Jeffrey - tastes couldn't be more different...

Not entirely as I rather like the Pre-Raphaelite painters. I like the third one down 'Beata Beatrix' of Harry's original selection.

Holman Hunt is my favourite of those particular painters.

The Scapegoat:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on November 04, 2008, 08:01:06 AM

'I am busy resisting', said the temperamental artist.

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2008, 08:14:48 AM
Not entirely as I rather like the Pre-Raphaelite painters.

That's another witticism dead in the water.  :'( ;D

pjme

Women - from History. I'll add some men later....
They are by - or were found at : Lucas Cranach - Ingres - Willendorf - Rubens

pjme

And some men!

By : August Macke - Schmidt-Rottluf -Jan van Eyck - Francis Bacon - Otto Dix

Maciek

Well, here the mention of those Nielsen photos (I have to find them! :o) causes a sort of knee-jerk reaction:

(click on pics for detailed info)

Maciek

Oh, and this (a special brand of ironic 20th century despair):

Maciek

Wait, there's more:

Master of disguise... ;D (especially the first one ;D ;D ;D)

Brian

You've probably guessed this one already

Maciek

Wait, there's something wrong with my eyes... *double vision* There's still something wrong with my eyes. I think I'm not getting enough sleep...

pjme

;D ;D ;D
Ok- to finish the evening... From the Netherlands : Raoul Hynckes and Dick Ket , Gustave Van de Woestijne ( right) from Belgium

Maciek

I think I'm on a roll. Oh, well... ::)

Here are some of his paintings as filler (actually, I should mention that I'm NOT especially fond of any of those photographic self-portraits, while I do enjoy some of the paintings):

Very early (1911) Witkacy:

Slightly Dali-ish Witkacy (1921):

Typical "formist" period (ie. 1918-24) Witkacy:

Definitely most typical Witkacy (1927) - especially since it's pastel, a technique he seemed to favor:

Another pastel:

1930, "Thawing face":

And any 20th century music lover's elementary Witkacy - the famous Szymanowski portrait:

pjme

:)Great stuff Maciek! wonderful discoveries.
I'll just trow in one last old photograph from my collection...( well, you get 3 "hommes à moustaches!)...some famous moustaches!

Georges Rodenbach (Doornik 16 juli 1855-1898) of "Bruges la Morte"/Korngold -fame and Jules Massenet. Moustache nr 3 is an unknown dandy.