Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Thanks, Peter. Witkacy is considered one of the best (the best?) Polish 20th century pre-war painters. And one of the best writers of that period too (probably the best playwright of that period, a postmodernist, if you can believe it! and a very interesting novelist and philosopher, and art-theorist).

Last batch (I promise!). Self-portraits.

you already have it, several posts above (the one with the chimneys)

1939 (roughly a month before the artist's suicide - if he indeed took his own life, which is still not unanimously accepted

Maciek

Love those mustachioed gentlemen, Peter! :)

pjme

Good night - I'm off to bed! 0:)

Harry

I rather have women posted here............so much nicer to look at! :)

Maciek

I think the one standing in the water is a woman.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maciek on November 04, 2008, 01:23:13 PM
Thanks, Peter. Witkacy is considered one of the best (the best?) Polish 20th century pre-war painters. And one of the best writers of that period too (probably the best playwright of that period, a postmodernist, if you can believe it! and a very interesting novelist and philosopher, and art-theorist).

I didn't know Witkiewicz (the name under which he has been translated into Dutch) was a painter, too. And a very good one he clearly is!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

Quote from: Maciek on November 05, 2008, 12:50:43 AM
I think the one standing in the water is a woman.

;D ;D ;D

The "ladyshave" wasn't yet available in those days!

Peter

pjme

Quote from: Harry's Corner on November 04, 2008, 10:54:07 PM
I rather have women posted here............so much nicer to look at! :)

Maybe you could be a little bit more adventurous? People ( men or women, and everything in between) are -at least -as diverse as your CD collection.
P.

Maciek

Quote from: Jezetha on November 05, 2008, 12:51:32 AM
I didn't know Witkiewicz (the name under which he has been translated into Dutch) was a painter, too. And a very good one he clearly is!

Oh, not only that. He was also a professional soldier (saw the outbreak of the October Revolution with his very eyes, and this was one of the main reasons of the unforgiving pessimism of his art, as well as his suicide upon the attack of Russia on Poland in 1939). And professional photographer (as some of those self-portraits should testify) and traveler (Bronislaw Malnowski hired him as photographer when going on his Trobriand Islands expeditions).

But most of all he remains a genius of the theatre, who anticipated Ionesco and his ilk and blah blah blah (you know the astounding facts yourself).

Maciek

Oh, and I should explain the problem with his name.

Witkacy was his pseudonym (indeed, he signed his paintings that way). Witkacy was actually called Stanisław Witkiewicz. But so was his father. And this father, Stanisław Witkiewicz, was also an artist (a painter, but remembered foremost as an architect - creator of the "Zakopane style" in architecture). And of course, the father was already well known at the outset of the son's career. To avoid confusion, Stanisław Witkiewicz junior took on a pseudonym (Witkacy). So he is usually referred to either as Witkacy, or as Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz (to differentiate between him and his father, who was simply Stanislaw Witkiewicz).

ezodisy

Quote from: pjme on November 03, 2008, 07:22:29 AM

Karl SCHMIDT-ROTTLUFF

Ludwig Kirchner

was looking at the S-R in Tate Modern couple weekends ago, have loved Kirchner ever since an RA retro. Would add Giacometti as a favourite for those long melting statues.

Cracked mirror Witkacy is good. Not a great admirer otherwise, find him a bit too much of an all-consuming genius for my taste.

QuoteEkaterina Maximova as Katya, The Stone Flower (1959) Photo: Y. Umnov

You must have a fair choice of Ekaterinas in Belgrade.

QuoteChaim Soutine

nice one, new to me.

Quote from: pjme on November 05, 2008, 01:01:15 AM
Maybe you could be a little bit more adventurous? People ( men or women, and everything in between) are -at least -as diverse as your CD collection.
P.

You might be surprised by what you find underneath that calm domesticated guise.

Maciek

Quote from: ezodisy on November 05, 2008, 02:01:09 AM
Cracked mirror Witkacy is good. Not a great admirer otherwise, find him a bit too much of an all-consuming genius for my taste.

Well, I've never seen any of the English translations but somehow wouldn't expect them to be very good. It would take a really excellent translator to do his plays justice, not to mention the novels. What have you read? Are all of the novels available in English? Does he ever get staged in the UK?

Haffner

Gorgeous.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Kullervo

Quote from: ezodisy on November 05, 2008, 02:01:09 AM
You might be surprised by what you find underneath that calm domesticated guise.

;D

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on November 05, 2008, 05:16:31 AM
Lovely room.

You see, what you can see, still you miss a lot.....at times! ;)

pjme

;D

the bedspread is colorful!

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Here is a painting I like by Caspar David Friedrich; very romantic and atmospheric. My appreciation of this painting, however, has been somewhat compromised by a student of mine who pointed out the main characters appear to be sitting on a roast chicken. So, I thought it best to point this out to everyone else too  ;D ;D

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2008, 07:59:18 AM
Here is a painting I like by Caspar David Friedrich; very romantic and atmospheric. My appreciation of this painting, however, has been somewhat compromised by a student of mine who pointed out the main characters appear to be sitting on a roast chicken. So, I thought it best to point this out to everyone else too  ;D ;D

I like chicken, so - beautiful picture.  ;) (Btw - there is a Caspar David Friedrich exhibition in Amsterdam at the moment, and I'm going there with my cousin later in the month.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kullervo

Maybe he was attempting to start a school of Culinary Surrealism?