Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on November 05, 2008, 08:24:05 AM
Maybe he was attempting to start a school of Culinary Surrealism?

;D (That's genius for you, always ahead of the curve.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on November 05, 2008, 08:22:22 AM
I like chicken, so - beautiful picture.  ;) (Btw - there is a Caspar David Friedrich exhibition in Amsterdam at the moment, and I'm going there with my cousin later in the month.)

How exciting. I am most jealous. In 1985 I was hoping to see some of his work when I went to the Hermitage in Leningrad (as it then was). The room with the Friedrich paintings in was closed  >:( However, I have seen quite a few in exhibitions of German Romantic painting. He is a really interesting painter.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2008, 12:51:50 PM
How exciting. I am most jealous. In 1985 I was hoping to see some of his work when I went to the Hermitage in Leningrad (as it then was). The room with the Friedrich paintings in was closed  >:( However, I have seen quite a few in exhibitions of German Romantic painting. He is a really interesting painter.

Well, I am going to the 'Hermitage Amsterdam', a sort of branch of the Petersburg Hermitage. I suspect I'll see the paintings you missed.  :'(

http://www.hermitage.nl/en/content.htm

Click on Exhibition...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Ok, one of my favourite photos....mainly because I took it ;D ;D

It was taken on the Latrabjarg Cliffs of north-western Iceland at about 10.30pm ;D and shows husband returning to the burrow after a hard day's work out on the waters between Iceland and Greenland

pjme

Maxfield Parrish 1870 - 1966

see:http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/parrish/parrish_bio.htm

Maxfield Parrish was one of America's most beloved artists working during the "Golden Age of American Illustration." He achieved incredible artistic renown and critical acclaim during his lifetime and has continued to interest new audiences ever since. His prolific body of work has been reproduced in books, calendars, art prints, advertisements, and magazines for generations. His paintings and murals always utilized a unique juxtaposition of designed elements, luminescent colors, photorealistic subjects and romantic images which combined to captivate his viewers.

Maxfield Parrish so dominated the images America loved that in the 1920's one out of four homes had his world of make-believe hanging on their walls. In a survey taken in 1925, van Gogh, Cezanne and Parrish were thought to be the three greatest artists of all time. Consequently, Maxfield Parrish was the single most popular American artist of the early decades of the 20th century. The continuing demand for his art prints today indicates America's fondness for his fantasy images.

pjme

I'm sure all those lovers of 19th/early 20th century academic art will enjoy Parrish' works. The sweetness of most paintings is ..cloying, but some of these exuberant visions are quite captivating.
Peter

ezodisy

not exactly a picture -- Ladybug flight in slow motion

http://uk.youtube.com/v/S77SYgOZXfg

mozartsneighbor

I went to a new Hopper exhibition at the Kunsthalle, here in Vienna. One of the painters most dear to me. They only had 9 Hopper paintings, but the exhibition made up for it very cleverly by including work by other artists influenced by him (50% of which were actually pretty interesting) including some very recent ones; by showing Hopper's influence on Jim Jarmusch's films, which I like; and by discussing the factors that influenced Hopper, including his fascination with cinema. You could even watch a movie from the 1940's that Hopper liked, called "Sudden Fear" I think -- and the train travel scenes are uncannily similar to some of Hopper's paintings.
Hopper can be a bit misleading. His paintings may look realist, but in fact they are not really so. These are often such simple scenes but the atmosphere and feelings they convey are so difficult to pin down, but so right on the money at the same time about what it is like to be human and to be alive.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, mozartsneighbor. Another Hopper fan here.

greg

Quote from: mn dave on November 17, 2008, 01:09:53 PM

Awesome picture and quote!
Says exactly what i like about Brahms...... the 'mist' in his compositional language is definitely his own (actually, constant use of a 'blurred' bar line is part of this). 

mn dave

Thanks.

That's Michael Whelan art by the way.

http://www.michaelwhelan.com/

mn dave

I also like John Jude Palencar.

http://www.johnjudepalencar.com/

Both this work and the one above can be found as cover art to short story collections by H.P. Lovecraft.   >:D

mn dave

Quote from: AndyD. on November 17, 2008, 01:34:48 PM

Dude! Obituary, "Cause of Death".

Well, it was a Lovecraft book cover first.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like these pieces of 'horror art'. But they aren't very Lovecraftian, in my opinion. Lovecraft is much cooler, not so overt.

mn dave

Quote from: Jezetha on November 17, 2008, 01:39:43 PM
I like these pieces of 'horror art'. But they aren't very Lovecraftian, in my opinion. Lovecraft is much cooler, not so overt.

Yeah. I like them as art. My liking them doesn't have much to do with their being wrapped around Lovecraft's stories.

ezodisy

Budapest Chain Bridge following the Siege of Budapest

of course 'like' isn't the right word for this.

vandermolen

I like Edward Hopper too.

Here is a favourite of mine: Magritte's "Homesickness"

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).