Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

маразм1

ha

Dundonnell

Quote from: pjme on November 05, 2008, 11:42:15 PM

I'm sure all those lovers of 19th/early 20th century academic art will enjoy Parrish' works. The sweetness of most paintings is ..cloying, but some of these exuberant visions are quite captivating.
Peter

That is a wonderful picture!

karlhenning

Were Parrish's lenses tinted . . . rose?  ;)

pjme

No, but he always wore the same pink jacket! ;)

Opus106

An elderly Kashmiri woman voter displays her ink-marked finger after she cast her vote during the second phase of local elections in Lar, 35 km (21 miles) east of Srinagar November 23, 2008. REUTERS/Fayaz Kabli (INDIAN-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR)

I saw this on the front page of the paper this morning and immediately went hunting for the 'Add to Faves' button. ;D (Users of Flickr may be familiar with this.)
Regards,
Navneeth

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Anne

That picture of the mountains is so impressive!  Thanks for posting it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

My absolute Magritte fave, "L'Empire des Lumieres":

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maciek

Wonderful. Haven't seen it before.

pjme

In 2009 a new Magritte museum ( the "Altenloh-building) will be opened in the center of Brussel's artistic heart - near the Fine Arts Museum and the Museum for musical Instruments.
The Museum will house more than 170 works by Magritte.

Not all Magritte's are breathtaking masterpieces...but Brussels can finaly show one of it's famous artists in a contemporary and welcoming setting.

One can also visit:
http://www.magrittemuseum.be/code/nl/index4.htm
The René Magritte Museum occupies the house in which the Belgian surrealist painter worked nearly 24 years of his life.
On the ground floor the museum presents the appartment which the painter rented together with his wife Georgette from 1930 to 1954, as well as a biographical exhibition dedicated to the painter.

Peter

Kullervo

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Corey on December 02, 2008, 06:01:15 AM
What?

The da Vinci Robot  :o - a new approach to minimally invasive surgery - being used at my institution, mainly by the urologists for kidney and prostate surgery - Star Wars comes to medicine!  8)

Kullervo

Quote from: James on December 02, 2008, 08:39:01 AM

Zappa: Look man, you're not fooling anyone with that combover.

ezodisy

Quote from: Lethe on December 02, 2008, 07:20:45 AM

which film had that violent unloading onto the beach? Was it Saving Private Ryan? I think it was Spielberg film.

Bulldog

Quote from: ezodisy on December 02, 2008, 09:26:57 AM
which film had that violent unloading onto the beach? Was it Saving Private Ryan? I think it was Spielberg film.

You're right on all counts.

ezodisy

Thanks. That's a very powerful opening. I've only seen it once, though I've caught the final half of the film 3 or 4 times  ::) That would make for one of the more harrowing moments in life

karlhenning

Oof.