Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

I am not a fan of hyperrealism but this painting (called Spiritual) by Taner Ceylan is very impressive IMO. It was recently sold at Sotheby's for a hefty price.

Link to his website: http://www.tanerceylan.com/
Warning: His paintings are very provocative. Proceed with caution  >:D

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

orbital

Quote from: opus67 on April 02, 2009, 06:47:51 AM
A painting! :o
I know, amazing. Photo-realistic painting is not something I really like, but the thing about Ceylan's paintings is that even if they were photographs they would still be beautiful.

For those New Yorkers interested, I think he's got an ongoing exhibition until May.

Dr. Dread

Frantisek Kupka (1871–1957).

Resistance, or The Black Idol (1903).

Haffner

Greatest Rock Band ever (my opinion)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

The last two APODs are amazing, to say the least.

09 April

10 April

That was taken by an amateur astrophotographer, from the surface of the Earth.

Regards,
Navneeth

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lilas Pastia

What's the idea behind this  ???. And why the change to pidgin pirate talk at the end ??

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 11, 2009, 04:24:27 PM
What's the idea behind this  ???. And why the change to pidgin pirate talk at the end ??

It's a joke, André. Or is your reaction, too?!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Cato

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 11, 2009, 04:24:27 PM

"Pidgin pirate talk"?  You're right!

It should be Parrot Pirate Talk!     0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lilas Pastia

I imagined it was a joke, but I didn't get it. Something lost in translation ?  :-\

SonicMan46

Well, a few days ago, I posted the photos below in the 'vacation advisory' thread - no responses, but I thought the images attractive - for those interested in the location of these beautiful flowers, please check out that thread -  :)

Anne

Beautiful flowers, Dave!  I keep expecting water to seep between the rocks in that 1st picture and trickle down the wall.  Thanks for posting them.

BTW my youngest sister (I am the oldest of 6 girls) said her son is finishing 4th year of med school and is pondering whether he should go into radiology.  When she said that, I immediately thought of you.  Also I am reading a book from last year's New York Times bestsellers.  The title is How Doctors Think written by Jerome Groopman, MD.  Chapter 8, pp. 177 - 203 discusses radiologists.  I wondered if you had read it and if you agreed with it.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on April 15, 2009, 07:41:30 PM
Beautiful flowers, Dave!  I keep expecting water to seep between the rocks in that 1st picture and trickle down the wall.  Thanks for posting them.

BTW my youngest sister (I am the oldest of 6 girls) said her son is finishing 4th year of med school and is pondering whether he should go into radiology.  When she said that, I immediately thought of you.  Also I am reading a book from last year's New York Times bestsellers.  The title is How Doctors Think written by Jerome Groopman, MD.  Chapter 8, pp. 177 - 203 discusses radiologists.  I wondered if you had read it and if you agreed with it.

Hi Anne - actually, that first picture is called the 'Wall of Orchids' and is much larger than I could capture on just one image; actually a small waterfall is present at one end of the wall and water is coming between the rocks in certain places - much more beautiful 'in person' - glad you like the flowers.

Well, tell your nephew, if he may be contemplating a move 'down south' to give North Carolina a thought - we have some good residencies in this state, including Wake Forest Medical Center, where I'm located.  The field is as busy as ever, so plenty of job opportunities, and if he's into computers & imaging technology, radiology is an exciting field.  If he wants any comments from me about the field and/or Wake Forest, send me a PM w/ his e-mail address - just an offering.

I've not read the book mentioned - Susan actually may have the book in the house and will look for it later; if found, I'll give those pages a read and report back!  ;D

Hope all is well w/ you after your long recovery -  :-*   Dave

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth