Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Ten thumbs on July 30, 2009, 11:32:28 AM
No, actually Stanley Royle hails from Lancashire and much of his later work was done in Nova Scotia.

Oh ! In my mind it evoked this:

The Six

If anyone can explain this, I'd appreciate it.

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on July 30, 2009, 07:24:50 PM
Oh ! In my mind it evoked this:

I see your point. The connection is probably folk tale elements. The goose girl is of course a princess who is subject to enchantment. Actually, the outside world, which is just visible through the trees, looks very much like southern France.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

DFO

What about those amateurs?

Lilas Pastia

OMG !  :o

That's Oistrakh, Menuhin, Grumiaux of course  ;)

DFO

Yes, papa David marking some point, Yehudi very interested, and Arthur listening rather amused. Probably on a recording session by Menuhin (only one on shirt, the other two on suits.Visiting?)

Lilas Pastia

Oistrakh points out to Menuhin it's a G sharp, not a G natural, Menuhin looking in disbelief, and Grumiaux amused 'cause he always plays it as A.

greg

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 04, 2009, 08:46:27 AM
Oistrakh points out to Menuhin it's a G sharp, not a G natural, Menuhin looking in disbelief, and Grumiaux amused 'cause he always plays it as A.
Wow, lol.  ;D

DFO

And who was this smiling young man?

Lilas Pastia

DFO

No. This gay had a dark character and any pictures of him smiling, like that one, are rarities. It was a very young Heifetz.

Opus106

Interior of St. Peter's Basilica
Giovanni Paolo Panini (1691-1765)

This image immediately caught my eye while I was going through the Wikipedia article on Girolamo Frescobaldi. (I didn't realise St. Peter's was this huge!) At a glance, this painting (and another one by the same artist) reminds me of Escher.

Regards,
Navneeth

knight66

It is a bit of a self conscious building. There are brass plates along the aisle counting off the comparitave lengths of other and lesser famous churches that are smaller. The throne of St Peter at the back alter is so large that Peter would have needed a ladder to reach the seat.

Of course, it is all glorious.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: opus106 on August 06, 2009, 08:16:41 AM
This image immediately caught my eye while I was going through the Wikipedia article on Girolamo Frescobaldi. (I didn't realise St. Peter's was this huge!) At a glance, this painting (and another one by the same artist) reminds me of Escher.

Yes, the grandeur of St. Peter's Basilica is impossible to experience w/o an actual visit - I've been there just a couple of times and that was decades ago, but the memories still persist - because of the SIZE of the church, the artwork had to be proportioned to adapt to the space so is much larger 'in person' than expected, and of course much more glorious when standing next to some of these magnificent works. 

Another example (and many can be mentioned) is that the magnificent Sistine Chapel just cannot be fully appreciated w/o standing on the floor and looking up at the artwork by Michelangelo; BUT, isn't this true of so much architecture and art works?   :D

Opus106

Quote from: knight on August 06, 2009, 12:00:46 PM
It is a bit of a self conscious building. There are brass plates along the aisle counting off the comparitave lengths of other and lesser famous churches that are smaller.

Interesting. How old (or recent) is this practice of showing off? ;D

Quote from: SonicMan on August 06, 2009, 05:03:37 PM
Another example (and many can be mentioned) is that the magnificent Sistine Chapel just cannot be fully appreciated w/o standing on the floor and looking up at the artwork by Michelangelo; BUT, isn't this true of so much architecture and art works?   :D

Quite. I think it was in class four that we had a lesson (or something like that) on Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel. Ever since it has been very close to the top of my 'To-visit' list. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Lilas Pastia

Just curious: has anyone ever lied on the floor of the Sistine Chapel looking up? Or witnessed others doing it ?

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: DFO on August 05, 2009, 04:23:11 AM
No. This gay had a dark character and any pictures of him smiling, like that one, are rarities. It was a very young Heifetz.

Now that you mention it... ;). Horowitz was gay, too, and russian, and jewish, and a contemporary of Heifetz.

DFO

Ok,Ok, I usually confuse guy with gay. And if Vladimir was gay, don Arturo anyway was relieved for get his ugly and manly daughter married, even with a gay jew. ::)

greg

Quote from: DFO on August 07, 2009, 04:34:42 PM
Ok,Ok, I usually confuse guy with gay. And if Vladimir was gay, don Arturo anyway was relieved for get his ugly and manly daughter married, even with a gay jew. ::)
lol what country are you from again?
I was talking to this girl from Columbia (my friend's ex-gf), and we were talking about Family Guy, and she writes "Family Gay."  ;D
Of course, we laugh about it... but still, there is an episode of Family Guy called "Family Gay," where Peter turns gay.

knight66

Quote from: opus106 on August 07, 2009, 05:12:06 AM
Interesting. How old (or recent) is this practice of showing off? ;D

visit' list. :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. But within St Peters there are pharonic scale tombs of the humble Popes; many started off before they died. Their humility and modesty seemed to impell then to make sure they left a larger bum-print on the building than their predecessors. But for us now, these tombs form an astonishing array of marvelous sculpture.

I have not laid down in the Sistine. I suspect the guards would stop people, as it does get crowded there. You would be in real danger of being trampled. The noise level rises to a deafening babble, the guards blow their whistles and you get comparative quiet; for a little while.

It looks pretty astonishing since the cleaning up. There is just so much to take in. Not just the roof and end wall, but the masterpieces just under the windows and what I never noticed in any photograph, wonderful trompe-l'œil round parts of three of the walls up to a height of say 12 feet. This skillfully conveys the images of rich material, beautifully painted and so realistic you feel it would move if you touched it.

I know that the Vatican will do private tours, so you get to see the Sistine and some other places almost deserted. Needless to say, they cost a great deal and don't last all that long.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.