Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Six

Opus106

I wonder if it's a fan.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

SonicMan46

Now listening to the CD below (top image) and am enjoying the 'cover art' - described as The Gust of Wind (1898) by Lucien Lévy-Dhurmer (1865-1953), a French artist who is 'new' to me -  :)

So, I wanted to explore this work and others by the same artist; well, he apparently painted a number of these pictures w/ a similar theme and with variations of the same title; one from the cover art in the middle, and another at the bottom!  :D

Lethevich

SonicMan - I recall looking for an artbook on that painter a while back, then finding to my horror that not only are none available at any price, but possibly also that none have ever existed. It is sad that artists like this cannot be even vaguely appreciated by people who don't have the means to fly around to various countries to see them in person :-X

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lethe on October 11, 2009, 09:55:03 AM
SonicMan - I recall looking for an artbook on that painter a while back, then finding to my horror that not only are none available at any price, but possibly also that none have ever existed. It is sad that artists like this cannot be even vaguely appreciated by people who don't have the means to fly around to various countries to see them in person :-X

Hi Sara - I own a lot of art books, including 3 or 4 on 'general art history' - the largest is Janson's History of Art (6th ed., 2001; nearly 1000 pgs) - absolutely no mention of the artist in question - but like all of these 'little known' composers from the past that we seem to be discovering on this forum, I'm sure that there are 'tons' of painters of merit completely lost to history - Dave  :)

CD

My book on the Museum of Orsay has a lot of these "forgotten" artists, like George Hendrik Breitner (who?). I particularly like this one called Moonlight.

The Six

Lethevich

Those photos are odd - based on the images I had seen of the elderly (bald) Sibelius, I figured he was rather barrel-shaped, but these contradict this.

Scarpia

I'm to believe Sibelius dressed up in a suite and tie to listen to the radio?

Dana

A picture I took of a lamp at a relative's house. I think it's rather artistic.

CD

Quote from: Scarpia on October 12, 2009, 09:46:50 AM
I'm to believe Sibelius dressed up in a suite and tie to listen to the radio?

Nice Freudian slip there (or was it?).

SonicMan46

Quote from: corey on October 12, 2009, 09:28:47 AM

Quote from: Lethe on October 12, 2009, 09:40:11 AM
Those photos are odd - based on the images I had seen of the elderly (bald) Sibelius, I figured he was rather barrel-shaped, but these contradict this.

Sara - I think he's just sitting in a BIG chair!   ;D

In Thomasville, NC, there is a BIG chair downtown (inserted above) - how would Jean look in that one?  ;) :D

greg

Just saw this ad when I was reading:
(usually it's a picture of some girl)

Lilas Pastia

Greg, are your sexual appetites making you overlook that 'some girl' sports a mustache ? Or did you want us to know you are an open-minded fellow?

CD

Quote from: Greg on October 16, 2009, 03:48:25 PM
Just saw this ad when I was reading:
(usually it's a picture of some girl)

In this case, the warning symbols are absolutely justified.  :o

Dana

For a while in facebook, I made it public knowledge that I was single and a christian - facebook started advertising "hot christian babes in your area!" to me and I decided to hide some of that information.

greg

Quote from: Dana on October 16, 2009, 04:12:13 PM
      For a while in facebook, I made it public knowledge that I was single and a christian - facebook started advertising "hot christian babes in your area!" to me and I decided to hide some of that information.
That's what I always get, too...

That ad is just desperate for people to click on it, to take them to their lame website, whatever it is.  ::)
Eventually, people figure out the "Someone has searched for you" (w/ a picture of a girl) is fake and they overlook it, so they just try something like this to get your attention to potentially get more visits.

SonicMan46

Currently, Susan & I are in NYC on a short vacation (last visit about 5 yrs ago) - so far, we've been to a number of museums, i.e. the Metropolitan, Whitney, and MOMA (Museum of Modern Art); the latter today - two of my many favorite Picasso paintings are there in adjacent rooms, i.e. Three Musicians &  Les Demoiselles d'Avignon - I've seen these originals many times now and am always 'flabbergasted' by their magnificent size; each takes up much of a wall and the figures are life-size (or slightly larger!) - again, just another example of 'being there' vs. seeing a picture/photograph in a book; plus, the colors, brush strokes, and lightening all make a difference - unbelievable.  And this is just a minuscule sampling of what these museums have to offer -  :D