Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Recent pic in an e-mail from my sister-in-law - a Texas-bred Christian lady who keeps my brother on a tight leash!  :D

CD

Lucian Lévy-Dhurmer - Woman with a Medallion, or Mystery

Opus106

Quote from: pjme on November 08, 2009, 04:17:45 AM

Painting  by Michael Cheval

isn't the man supposed to be Mozart, or something?

Regards,
Navneeth

Benji

Things that make you go awwwwww...

Benji

Thankfully, the bikes are carbon fibre. The riders, however...

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sean

Quote from: SonicMan on October 16, 2009, 05:49:30 PM
Currently, Susan & I are in NYC on a short vacation (last visit about 5 yrs ago) - so far, we've been to a number of museums, i.e. the Metropolitan, Whitney, and MOMA (Museum of Modern Art); the latter today - two of my many favorite Picasso paintings are there in adjacent rooms, i.e. Three Musicians &  Les Demoiselles d'Avignon - I've seen these originals many times now and am always 'flabbergasted' by their magnificent size; each takes up much of a wall and the figures are life-size (or slightly larger!) - again, just another example of 'being there' vs. seeing a picture/photograph in a book; plus, the colors, brush strokes, and lightening all make a difference - unbelievable.  And this is just a minuscule sampling of what these museums have to offer -  :D

Sonic, I'm very interested in Picasso and his faces- those noses, esp the one in the bottom right reorder your brain as it should be. A few years ago I got hold of a face line drawing by Picasso which impressed me enormously, one of the most interesting visual images I've ever seen, despite its simplicity. I've not been able to track it down since nor even its title- any thoughts on how I might do this?

The Six

Carolus

Twenty something..

MN Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sean on December 17, 2009, 10:07:57 AM
Sonic, I'm very interested in Picasso and his faces- those noses, esp the one in the bottom right reorder your brain as it should be. A few years ago I got hold of a face line drawing by Picasso which impressed me enormously, one of the most interesting visual images I've ever seen, despite its simplicity. I've not been able to track it down since nor even its title- any thoughts on how I might do this?

Hi Sean - not sure that I can help w/ the specific drawing that you mention; he was such an excellent draughtsman and did much w/ printmaking; over the years we have seen a number of Picasso exhibits of his drawings and prints - amazing what imagery he could evoke w/ just a few lines.  As an example, we own a couple of Picasso plates (image attached - not great reproduction) which we keep in our living room cadenza - just a few lines but so evocative.

Of course, those faces that you allude to were based on Picasso's interest in African art and masks at the time, and as he was emerging into his cubist period a few years later.  You might have to just to some 'googling' or browse through some art books; also, check out art galleries on line or visit a larger art museum gift shop - not sure 'what else' I can suggest.   :-\  Dave

P.S. - click on the image for an enlargement; BTW, the middle plate is by Edna Hibel - a famous one!

Carolus

Could be me, 40 years ago.

CD

New photo from the Cassini probe: Reflection of sunlight from lake on Titan

Renfield

Quote from: Corey on December 17, 2009, 02:59:43 PM
New photo from the Cassini probe: Reflection of sunlight from lake on Titan

Beautiful. Any hi-res link? :)

Carolus

Good breeding..

Sean

Quote from: SonicMan on December 17, 2009, 02:23:42 PM
Hi Sean - not sure that I can help w/ the specific drawing that you mention; he was such an excellent draughtsman and did much w/ printmaking; over the years we have seen a number of Picasso exhibits of his drawings and prints - amazing what imagery he could evoke w/ just a few lines.  As an example, we own a couple of Picasso plates (image attached - not great reproduction) which we keep in our living room cadenza - just a few lines but so evocative.

Of course, those faces that you allude to were based on Picasso's interest in African art and masks at the time, and as he was emerging into his cubist period a few years later.  You might have to just to some 'googling' or browse through some art books; also, check out art galleries on line or visit a larger art museum gift shop - not sure 'what else' I can suggest.   :-\  Dave

P.S. - click on the image for an enlargement; BTW, the middle plate is by Edna Hibel - a famous one!

Cheers Sonic, and very beautiful...