Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

Very striking, with New York right on the cusp.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Opus106

Quote from: knight on February 08, 2010, 10:23:14 AM
Very striking, with New York right on the cusp.

Mike

Something closer to (your) home from a month ago. :) (Click on image for more info and a wider version.)

Regards,
Navneeth

knight66

Yes, that has the look of something familiar. We had some snow today, but I don't think it lay anywhere on the central belt and frankly....I can't be doing with further bouts. I have so much travel to do for work over the next two weeks, then Morocco on the 23rd, so there had better not be blizzards closing any airports at that point.

One thing that has frankly alarmed me, is the severe and sudden deterioration in the road surfaces. Many main roads have bad holes in them and now, instead of seeing the driver in front weave about and assume he is under the influence, you try to shadow the swerving to avoid the pot holes.

Today I drove on the motorway near to us, mile upon mile I could see that the surface of at least two lanes is breaking up. I wonder about the materials we are using, or the workmanship. My guess is that there will be no money to put all this right. The roads are starting to remind me of Uganda, there people places palm fronds over particularly bad holes, so drivers knew to avoid. We might have to start to do something similar. Except; we might run out of trees.

Mike

Opus106

Quote from: knight on February 08, 2010, 10:52:26 AM
Yes, that has the look of something familiar. We had some snow today, but I don't think it lay anywhere on the central belt and frankly....I can't be doing with further bouts. I have so much travel to do for work over the next two weeks, then Morocco on the 23rd, so there had better not be blizzards closing any airports at that point.

Looking forward to the sun?

QuoteOne thing that has frankly alarmed me, is the severe and sudden deterioration in the road surfaces. Many main roads have bad holes in them and now, instead of seeing the driver in front weave about and assume he is under the influence, you try to shadow the swerving to avoid the pot holes.

;D

QuoteToday I drove on the motorway near to us, mile upon mile I could see that the surface of at least two lanes is breaking up. I wonder about the materials we are using, or the workmanship. My guess is that there will be no money to put all this right. The roads are starting to remind me of Uganda, there people places palm fronds over particularly bad holes, so drivers knew to avoid. We might have to start to do something similar. Except; we might run out of trees.

I suppose I can relate. Good roads are a rarity here.
Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Scarpia

My entry

knight66

Quote from: Opus106 on February 08, 2010, 11:01:54 AM
Looking forward to the sun?

Very much. Here is a link to photos from three years ago when I visited the country.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/demster_2006/Morocco/?start=0

Mike

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on February 08, 2010, 10:21:12 AM
The Great White South?

Thanks for posting that!  Yes, New Yorkers got lucky this time, but supposedly another big storm is going to hit tomorrow, and we are definitely getting socked.

PS, knight, that last photo with the tables and chairs is fantastic.

--Bruce

knight66

Get the hot waters bottles out!

Mike

Opus106

Quote from: knight on February 08, 2010, 11:19:13 AM
Very much. Here is a link to photos from three years ago when I visited the country.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/demster_2006/Morocco/?start=0

Mike

Thanks for sharing those photos with us, Mike. I especially like the one with the frames -- something that would have made me take a few photographs, as well. :)

Eating at the restaurant(?) along the stream must be quite an experience.

Quote from: bhodges on February 08, 2010, 11:25:42 AM
Thanks for posting that!  Yes, New Yorkers got lucky this time, but supposedly another big storm is going to hit tomorrow, and we are definitely getting socked.

--Bruce

You're welcome, Bruce. :) Keep yourself warm. [I don't know if warm is even the right word at this instance. :-\]
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Sheer awesomeness!

[Click on image for larger version.]

With just four more launches and year to go, I will most likely never have my wish of watching a Shuttle launch from close range fulfilled.  :'(
Regards,
Navneeth

John Copeland

What a shame Navneeth, that it is likely you will never see a Shuttle take off.  I am genuinely sad for you too because I know you are an astrohilic.   :(   ;)

I personally never liked the damn things.   ???
Old technology and old propulsion method, regardless of how much it was updated inside, it is still a fairly unatttractive flying object, and should have been ditched in 1986.  It hasn't proved very useful in the open arena of space anyway, all it can do is go up, fix a sattellite or two, take pictures, research and come back again (not very far at that).  For the purpose of inter-planetary travel, one of its founding visions, it turned out to be hopelessly inadequate.

More advanced and hopefully more aesthetically pleasing and safer technology is on the way Navneeth, keep your chin up!   ;D

But aye, the picture is fabulous.

To cheer you up, here is a picture of Brahms' Music Room.    ???

Opus106

Quote from: John on February 09, 2010, 08:26:24 AM
What a shame Navneeth, that it is likely you will never see a Shuttle take off.  I am genuinely sad for you too because I know you are an astrohilic.   :(   ;)

I personally never liked the damn things.   ???
Old technology and old propulsion method, regardless of how much it was updated inside, it is still a fairly unatttractive flying object, and should have been ditched in 1986.  It hasn't proved very useful in the open arena of space anyway, all it can do is go up, fix a sattellite or two, take pictures, research and come back again (not very far at that).  For the purpose of inter-planetary travel, one of its founding visions, it turned out to be hopelessly inadequate.

More advanced and hopefully more aesthetically pleasing and safer technology is on the way Navneeth, keep your chin up!   ;D

But aye, the picture is fabulous.

To cheer you up, here is a picture of Brahms' Music Room.    ???

Thanks, John, for your concern. :) Yes, it's an old piece of technology, I agree, but just watching (on TV!) the boosters power up and lift the colossus off the ground makes me all goosebumpsy. I wish I could express emotions as finely as you do listening to various composers. :D

Brahms' music room, you say? It's a bit gaudy for my taste ;), but your latest (Xenakis) avatar has me in splits. ;D ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Lilas Pastia

From Quebec, with love (photos taken in March 2008):

Scarpia

Quote from: Barak on February 11, 2010, 05:50:48 PM

I don't see any photos

Opus106

Quote from: Barak on February 11, 2010, 05:50:48 PM

I'm afraid I can't see any of them. I think there must be a simpler URI (try right clicking on the image and click Properties or Copy Image Location). :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Lilas Pastia

Let me try again (no success guaranteed) :P

Lilas Pastia

That's too bad. I received very nice pics of the 2007-2008 winter in Quebec -  12 to 18 feet of snow depending on the location - but I flushed them. When I posted them here yesterday, they were there all right, including the arresting jacuzzi one.  ???

John Copeland

Nope.  I still can't see them.   :(    :'(

Lilas Pastia

Well, I see them !! What's wrong?

Anyhow, imagine vast expanses of white stuff, horizontally and vertically filling your screen...

Statistics: 18 ft of snow in the winter of 2007-2008 in Quebec City (most of it Febr-April 2008). We were luckier in Montreal: barely 12ft to shovel.