Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Well, I won't confess to liking this one, exactly, but I have been curious about its origins ever since I saw it on a half dozen different Schubert covers (and a couple of Beethoven ones too). Does anyone have any idea who painted this?

Thanks,
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on May 11, 2010, 10:12:31 AM
Artist: Caspar David Friedrich.
Painting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderer_above_the_Sea_of_Fog
:)

Thanks, Navneeth. I don't care what they say about you, you're pretty handy to have around... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 11, 2010, 10:26:43 AM
Thanks, Navneeth. I don't care what they say about you, you're pretty handy to have around... :D

8)

What did they say about me?
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on May 11, 2010, 10:27:51 AM
What did they say about me?

Umm, that you're handy to have around. No, really. ;)

8)

SonicMan46

Last day on Kiawah Island on our short South Carolina coastal vacation - off to Charleston tomorrow for a few days, then back home -  :D

But walking over to Heron Park for a couple of hours by the pool, we were crossing a bridge over a lagoon (plenty on this island), and guess 'what' was sunning right below us - YES, a 6+ foot alligator and some babies; not sure if that was their mama?  One of the pool assistants said the 'real mama' was more like 8 feet in length - the one below is big enough for me!  :)

Opus106

Crikey! Nice shots there, mate. :)

Those remind of my time at another forum, where one of the members was this extremely talented photographer from N. or S. Carolina -- or somewhere along the eastern coast of the U.S.-- who regularly posted photos of 'gators. Some energising themselves on the road, or one from six feet away in its natural habitat. Wonderful stuff.
Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on May 13, 2010, 01:31:57 PM
Crikey! Nice shots there, mate. :)

Those remind of my time at another forum, where one of the members was this extremely talented photographer from N. or S. Carolina -- or somewhere along the eastern coast of the U.S.-- who regularly posted photos of 'gators. Some energising themselves on the road, or one from six feet away in its natural habitat. Wonderful stuff.

Hi Navneeth - well not the 'best' pics - gator was half in the sun & I was bending over a bridge but probably only 10 ft. or so away - just exciting to see these animals au naturale; for those not familiar w/ this island (or dozens of others along the Carolina Coast into Georgia & Florida), this is indeed 'nature' - not a zoo!  :o

We rented a wonderful lagoon villa (small condo) w/ a screen porch looking out on the lagoon; this morning I saw a gator, but only a 3 footer or so, i.e. a youngster!  :D

But for the fun I was googling Kiawah Island & alligators and found the photo shown below - a youngster w/ a golf ball in its mouth, probably a 2-yr old or so?  This picture was taken on the Turtle Point Golf Course on Kiawah Island, a course designed by Jack Nicklaus - back around 1984, I was running our summer radiology meeting on this island (our inaugural meeting); my in-laws (both physicians) attended (our son was about 8 y/o then, so a joy for them) - however, we played one of the courses on the island (can't remember which one?) - but I drove a ball on one hole next to a lagoon, and as I was approaching the ball, an alligator emerged - decided to drop a 'new' ball on the other side of the fairway!  So that pic brings back some memories - Dave  :)

SonicMan46

Just a few more pics after dinner on Kiawah Island - ate at the Atlantic Room at the Ocean Course (Pete Dye designed & opened in 1991; site of a Ryder Cup, Senior's PGA Championship, and upcoming PGA Championship in 2012 - a ocean seaside course w/ wild winds and no major trees!) - but driving back (i.e. in my car ;-)), I stopped at a large pond (obviously w/ an alligator potential) w/ several egrets resting, and on one pic the clubhouse w/ the restaurant mentioned that we had just had a wonderful seafood dinner!  :D

Opus106

This photo reminds me of Mahler's symphonies.

Perhaps this, even more so...

More touristy pictures of Eyjafjallajökull here.

Regards,
Navneeth

The Six

Scarpia

From what I've seen in the media, she doesn't look like his type at all.   8)

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Todd

One reason I do not fight bulls:

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Opus106

Because you'll then get photoshopped? ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

knight66

That was a real incident reported on the UK news today. The matador lived and is recovering after a five hour operation. I wonder whether he will be able to speak?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Scarpia

Quote from: knight on May 25, 2010, 11:37:32 AM
That was a real incident reported on the UK news today. The matador lived and is recovering after a five hour operation. I wonder whether he will be able to speak?

Mike

Animal cruelty as a spectator sport?  Score one for the bull.

Opus106

Mike

Oh. Do you have a link?
Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Mike - I'm afraid that he'll be known as Mumbles in the future, unfortunately -  :-\  Dave