Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Thought I'd share this here.

Russian in Color, a century ago

With images from southern and central Russia in the news lately due to extensive wildfires, I thought it would be interesting to look back in time with this extraordinary collection of color photographs taken between 1909 and 1912. In those years, photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun. Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948.

Boston Globe - The Big Picture
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Thanks - those early colour photographs often look terrible, but these are well taken, well preserved and well scanned :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Fascinating, Navneeth. I doubt that I have ever seen anything photographed with that method, so a combination of wonderful subject matter and interesting technology makes for a highly interesting read.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

pjme

Last week, the French group Royal de Luxe was in Antwerp .
Royal de Luxe creates giant puppets that are manipulated by..normal humans! The effect is quite overwhelming and often strangely poetical.

This year the main character was a diver.

pjme

unfortunately, the website doesn't function yet...

http://www.royal-de-luxe.com/

Plenty of photographs on Flickr.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on August 31, 2010, 09:45:14 AM

Russian in Color, a century ago.......................

Navneeth - astounding pictures (and technology for its time)!  I was particularly interested because Susan's grandmother was Russian from the Ukraine and from that period of time!  A short bio of her can be found HERE for those interested in the times of this period and country - unfortunately, my first visit to New Jersey was in 1969, a year after she died - would have loved to have met her (I had just finished my second year in medical school) - Dave  :)

Harpo

Quote from: Opus106 on August 31, 2010, 09:45:14 AM

Russian in Color, a century ago

Great photos! Since my mother's parents came from Russia, some of these people could have been related to me. I am particularly thinking of "Isfandiyar, Khan of the Russian protectorate of Khorezm," since his Russian Afro is curly, as is my hair. Wait a minute--I think that's a hat. Never mind.  ;)
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Opus106

Susan and Dave, I'm glad to know that those photos connected you with your ancestral past (-in-law ;) ).

Yet another perspective of seeing images of eras gone by is the following collection in which black-and-white photos taken during the Second World War are superimposed on contemporary photographs of the same location. While I will admit that not all of them are well done, some are strangely haunting.

Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on September 02, 2010, 01:11:23 PM

An 8-string guitar? Interesting. What are the two lowest notes? I know one of them is B right? I've been playing guitar for 20 years and I have yet to tackle one of those!

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

This should have been the front cover to Michael Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony recording on Naxos:

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2010, 06:29:13 PM

An 8-string guitar? Interesting. What are the two lowest notes? I know one of them is B right? I've been playing guitar for 20 years and I have yet to tackle one of those!
That's right- the 7th string is B. The 8th string is a low F#- and if you tune it down a full step, it becomes the same note as the lowest note on a standard 4-string bass guitar.

I want this guitar (it's cheap for an 8-string- only ~$800), but the one thing it's missing for me is a whammy bar. I'm not sure if a whammy pedal could be a sufficient substitue, because I've never had the chance to play one.

Also, if I got one of these, if used with some sort of octave pedal, I could get some sort of range such as an E below the lowest note of the piano up to the highest E on the piano. I haven't been able to experiment with this, either, though (I've only played a seven string once, at Guitar Center a couple of months ago).  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on September 06, 2010, 09:11:14 AM
That's right- the 7th string is B. The 8th string is a low F#- and if you tune it down a full step, it becomes the same note as the lowest note on a standard 4-string bass guitar.

I want this guitar (it's cheap for an 8-string- only ~$800), but the one thing it's missing for me is a whammy bar. I'm not sure if a whammy pedal could be a sufficient substitue, because I've never had the chance to play one.

Also, if I got one of these, if used with some sort of octave pedal, I could get some sort of range such as an E below the lowest note of the piano up to the highest E on the piano. I haven't been able to experiment with this, either, though (I've only played a seven string once, at Guitar Center a couple of months ago).  :D

Very cool. Thanks for the information.

I played a 7-string once too and it was fun. Last time I was at Guitar Center, I bought a Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler, but this was about 9 years ago. I usually enjoy going to into guitar shops, but Guitar Center is so loud that I can't even hear myself think. :) So I try to stick to local dealers and smaller shops.

Since I play jazz, or a hybrid of jazz, rock, and ambient (??? I don't know), I place a lot of importance on tone and hearing every note with great clarity. I try not to use distortion too much, but sometimes I will want an improvisation with a tone that has more bite, so that's when I'll use distortion. I also like delay and reverb, which I consider the main ingredients of my sound. Seldom do I fool around with modulation effects like flanger, chorus, phaser, etc. I do like chorus sometimes though.

What kind of music do you play Greg and how long have you been playing? Who are your favorite guitarists?

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2010, 09:34:53 AM

Very cool. Thanks for the information.

I played a 7-string once too and it was fun. Last time I was at Guitar Center, I bought a Line 6 DL4 Delay modeler, but this was about 9 years ago. I usually enjoy going to into guitar shops, but Guitar Center is so loud that I can't even hear myself think. :) So I try to stick to local dealers and smaller shops.

Since I play jazz, or a hybrid of jazz, rock, and ambient (??? I don't know), I place a lot of importance on tone and hearing every note with great clarity. I try not to use distortion too much, but sometimes I will want an improvisation with a tone that has more bite, so that's when I'll use distortion. I also like delay and reverb, which I consider the main ingredients of my sound. Seldom do I fool around with modulation effects like flanger, chorus, phaser, etc. I do like chorus sometimes though.

What kind of music do you play Greg and how long have you been playing? Who are your favorite guitarists?
I started off listening to Joe Satriani when I was 10 or so (and it was the only music I liked for several years). When I was almost 13, I started playing guitar gradually, figuring out how to play his stuff and all. It was mainly him and Yngwie Malmsteen who I completely admired, though on the side I'd be into anything related in that style- Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore, Theodore Ziras, etc. Nowadays I've been getting into other stuff- Opeth, Meshuggah, Kayo Dot, Necrophagist, Psyopus, to name a few (after a period of many years listening almost exclusively to classical)...

Now, when you say jazz-rock, what do you mean by that? I know you mentioned Eric Johnson before, though I don't really know who else would be categorized under that genre. Who are your other influences?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on September 06, 2010, 09:51:06 AM
I started off listening to Joe Satriani when I was 10 or so (and it was the only music I liked for several years). When I was almost 13, I started playing guitar gradually, figuring out how to play his stuff and all. It was mainly him and Yngwie Malmsteen who I completely admired, though on the side I'd be into anything related in that style- Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore, Theodore Ziras, etc. Nowadays I've been getting into other stuff- Opeth, Meshuggah, Kayo Dot, Necrophagist, Psyopus, to name a few (after a period of many years listening almost exclusively to classical)...

Now, when you say jazz-rock, what do you mean by that? I know you mentioned Eric Johnson before, though I don't really know who else would be categorized under that genre. Who are your other influences?

Sounds like you're really into shred and metal, which is cool and requires a different kind of playing than I'm accustomed to.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, I'm not going to launch into my whole history with you, for sake of boredom not only to you, but anybody else reading, and keep my answers short.

I started off as a rock player very heavily influenced by progressive bands like King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, ELP (Emerson, Lake, & Palmer), Pink Floyd, among others, but then I discovered jazz music and been head-over-heels in love every since that day. I would say my style blurs the line between jazz and rock, but also more ambient or textural music. It's hard to explain really, because I can demonstrate it much better than putting it into words.

I have only been actively listening to classical music for 2 years, but have heard it all my life. The guitarists I'm influenced by are Bill Frisell, Eric Johnson, Steve Rothery, David Gilmour, Pat Metheny, Ben Monder, Terje Rypdal, Will Ackerman, Jim Hall, John Abercrombie, Robert Fripp, Alex Lifeson, and Al Di Meola.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2010, 01:23:38 PM

Sounds like you're really into shred and metal, which is cool and requires a different kind of playing than I'm accustomed to.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, I'm not going to launch into my whole history with you, for sake of boredom not only to you, but anybody else reading, and keep my answers short.

I started off as a rock player very heavily influenced by progressive bands like King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, ELP (Emerson, Lake, & Palmer), Pink Floyd, among others, but then I discovered jazz music and been head-over-heels in love every since that day. I would say my style blurs the line between jazz and rock, but also more ambient or textural music. It's hard to explain really, because I can demonstrate it much better than putting it into words.

I have only been actively listening to classical music for 2 years, but have heard it all my life. The guitarists I'm influenced by are Bill Frisell, Eric Johnson, Steve Rothery, David Gilmour, Pat Metheny, Ben Monder, Terje Rypdal, Will Ackerman, Jim Hall, John Abercrombie, Robert Fripp, Alex Lifeson, and Al Di Meola.
That's cool, man. (I've been meaning to dive into King Crimson, since I've already heard stuff by them I like.)

CD