Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on September 07, 2010, 11:58:36 AM
That's cool, man. (I've been meaning to dive into King Crimson, since I've already heard stuff by them I like.)

King Crimson are amazing, but I think the band hit their stride once Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, and Bill Bruford entered the lineup. The music seemed to incorporate more or less more modern influences.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Corey on September 29, 2010, 08:02:13 PM
Alberto Ginastera :D

That's a great picture! Love that face..haha!

greg

Just saw the most adorable picture on famitsu:

Drasko

Could anyone identify the painting/artist for me?

pjme

French, Spanish ...? first half of the 19th century...Ingres, Flandrin....more likely someone else. But who?

I'll check my books.

Grz, Peter

Saul

Drasko

Quote from: pjme on October 05, 2010, 12:51:37 PM
French, Spanish ...? first half of the 19th century...Ingres, Flandrin....more likely someone else. But who?

I'll check my books.

Grz, Peter

I was thinking along the same lines, those curls make it most likely early 19th (like Ingres Madame Riviere) but when I went through decent bunch of French Neoclassicists couldn't find even tentative match. Flandrin don't think so, his portraits always have very serious expressions, and this one is coyishly pretty. I'm not very familiar with Spanish painting of that period apart from Goya which doesn't look like to me, brush stroke seems too fine and smooth for him. Maybe someone later? Gerome, Delaroche?

It cought my eye initially because Naive used it on cover of Monteverdi's 2nd Book of madrigals and I thought odd to use what looks like 19th century painting for late 16th century music. But now I'm really curious.

Benji

Quote from: Drasko on October 06, 2010, 02:14:51 AM
I was thinking along the same lines, those curls make it most likely early 19th (like Ingres Madame Riviere) but when I went through decent bunch of French Neoclassicists couldn't find even tentative match. Flandrin don't think so, his portraits always have very serious expressions, and this one is coyishly pretty. I'm not very familiar with Spanish painting of that period apart from Goya which doesn't look like to me, brush stroke seems too fine and smooth for him. Maybe someone later? Gerome, Delaroche?

It cought my eye initially because Naive used it on cover of Monteverdi's 2nd Book of madrigals and I thought odd to use what looks like 19th century painting for late 16th century music. But now I'm really curious.

Have you tried emailing Naive to ask their cover art department?

Or....a long shot maybe, but have you got a smart phone (iPhone, Android etc)? There is a app called Google Goggles, which is pretty neat - it takes a photo of whatever you point it at, scans it and compares it to it's gigantic library of scanned images and provides information based on that. I've tried it on book covers and it worked with a high success rate. It does claim it can do paintings, landmarks, all sorts. Might be worth a shot.

I'd try it now for you but I'm working at a bank and it might raise a few eyebrows if I start taking photos of my screen...

pjme

I mailed Naive. No answer yet - but I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Drasko

Quote from: pjme on October 07, 2010, 08:50:23 PM
I mailed Naive. No answer yet - but I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Ha, I've done the same yesterday. Now they must be thinking to themselves - Why are all these people inquiring about the same painting all of the sudden? Have we infringed on some copyright? Send these questions to our legal department, on the double!!! -  and we never get our answer  :'( ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Drasko on October 08, 2010, 12:46:54 AM
Ha, I've done the same yesterday. Now they must be thinking to themselves - Why are all these people inquiring about the same painting all of the sudden? Have we infringed on some copyright? Send these questions to our legal department, on the double!!! -  and we never get our answer  :'( ;D
I recognize some of the artwork that they use in that series, but I am not placing the artist or painting yet. I did recognize the one with Raphael (Charpentier), but that gives us a little more to work with than half a face at weird angles. I'm surprised they don't mention something in the booklet.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Drasko on October 08, 2010, 12:46:54 AM

Well, I put in a third e-mail to Naive 2 days ago -  :D  No answer yet either!  I 'googled' a bunch of 'suspect' artists from the early 19th century but no luck.  Dave  :)

Drasko

Quote from: SonicMan on October 08, 2010, 04:55:13 AM
Well, I put in a third e-mail to Naive 2 days ago -  :D

Hahahahaha, now we're definitely doomed. This is how conspiracy theories get born.
Imagine poor guy sorting incoming mail at Naive coming across, at the same time, three e-mails by three unknown persons from different sides of the globe (writing in two languages, I presume Peter wrote in French) asking the same, of first look completely inconsequential question about some obscure painting. He is bound to think there is some secret code behind all this, Templars at the least, if not Rosenkreuzers. I tell you, we'll be happy if he doesn't report us to Sûreté.   >:D $:) 0:)   

greg

Quote from: Drasko on October 08, 2010, 08:46:28 AM
Hahahahaha, now we're definitely doomed. This is how conspiracy theories get born.
Imagine poor guy sorting incoming mail at Naive coming across, at the same time, three e-mails by three unknown persons from different sides of the globe (writing in two languages, I presume Peter wrote in French) asking the same, of first look completely inconsequential question about some obscure painting. He is bound to think there is some secret code behind all this, Templars at the least, if not Rosenkreuzers. I tell you, we'll be happy if he doesn't report us to Sûreté.   >:D $:) 0:)
:D

pjme

Hi Drasko, I wrote in French, indeed.

But at Naive they should be proud and happy to receive all these mails! "wow, they like our artwork"!

I've got no answer either. But the French can be quite lazy about these things. Let's wait till the end of next week.....

Peter

Drasko

Quote from: pjme on October 10, 2010, 05:49:40 AM
I've got no answer either. But the French can be quite lazy about these things. Let's wait till the end of next week.....

I ain't going anywhere  :)

Nice avatar. There is big Ballets Russes exhibition in London, has to have bunch of Bakst included. Would you be hopping the Channel to see it, too far for me unfortunately. 

pjme

I've made no plans yet. I'm tempted , though.

But I've just made a trip to Essen/Ruhr Kulturhaupstadt 2010 (Ruhr Museum, Folkwang Museum, Philharmonie, Aalto Opera...). Very interesting. The new Folkwang is quite impressive - clean and cool. Great collection of late 19th - 20 th century art. For the first time I watched attentively a Concetto spaziale by Fontana....

Essen is only 2.5 hrs drive by car. That was easy.

Peter

SonicMan46

Well Guys, as expected I've not received a response from Naive about the pic in question - oh well!  :-\

So, I'll post some 'personal' pics of our kitchen table - BORING!  But we just returned from a long weekend trip to Blowing Rock, NC (just 90 mins from us off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone) - in a local co-op artist's shop we purchased a 'lazy Susan' (I have to call it a 'Lazy Lester' because of my wife's first name) and a beautiful flower vase w/ a glass insert; now that necessitated a new wood pepper grinder/salt shaker and a napkin holder - I'm just responsible for the napkin holder - built from scrap pieces in my shop - uprights made from 'glued-up' stock, i.e. middle is walnut, light wood pine, and outer mahogany - thought my concept blends well w/ the rest - Susan added some flowers and we are thrilled w/ the much IMPROVED appearance - a 'work of art' at dinner time!  ;D