Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: pjme on July 11, 2011, 01:01:07 AM
Hi Drasko,

i wasn'able to figure out who made that etching/drawing. Definitely late 19th century and possibly by one of the Pre Raphaelites.

The glossy photographs of actors and celebrities ...made me think of Vanitas paintings...the brittleness of Life.

Here's a fragment of François Villon's  "La ballade des pendus" ....

Hi Peter, sorry for bit late reply, I was offline for a few days.

I have very lovely book of Villon in Serbian translation illustrated with some early Vladimir Velickovic prints. Modern prints and 15th century poetry go better than one might think.

Do you remember way back that 'Girl with curls' painting from Naive cover that I couldn't identify, and Naive didn't reply to any of the queries. Well now they reused the painting for the box set and gave us bit more of the picture. It seems the girl is holding finger to her lips.

My best guess is still French, neoclassical, style most reminds me of David or maybe one of his pupils, but still don't really know.

pjme

Hi Drasko,

With the help of Google:

Until Her Death'
Dinah Maria Mulock, afterwards Craik, 'Until Her Death' Good Words 3, 5 (May 1862)
Illustration by Frederick Sandys. Engraving by Dalziel Brothers
Size: 4" x 5"

As for the girl with the pearl earring... We're having awfuil weather in Belgium, so I' just might enjoy another searchg for this "coquette".

Now back to TV  fo The Proms and Janacek.  The choral/orchestral overture by Judith Weir was ...a bit tame.

A bientöt,
Peter

SonicMan46

Well ALL - I retired at the end of June after 34 years as an academic radiologist (abdominal imaging) from the Wake Forest University Medical Center - now promoted (or demoted?) to Professor Emeritus, which does have some perks -  ;)  :D

My GI/GU technologists (who I worked most closely w/ on a daily basis) put on a nice luncheon for me on my last clinical day - gave me a nice gift certificate to one of the local wine stores (already GONE!) - a bunch of pictures were taken (one shown below) - I'll miss my gals but looking forward to not having to set my alarm for an early morning wake up & making out a monthly schedule!   ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 01:11:52 PM
Well ALL - I retired at the end of June after 34 years as an academic radiologist (abdominal imaging) from the Wake Forest University Medical Center - now promoted (or demoted?) to Professor Emeritus, which does have some perks -  ;)  :D

My GI/GU technologists (who I worked most closely w/ on a daily basis) put on a nice luncheon for me on my last clinical day - gave me a nice gift certificate to one of the local wine stores (already GONE!) - a bunch of pictures were taken (one shown below) - I'll miss my gals but looking forward to not having to set my alarm for an early morning wake up & making out a monthly schedule!   ;D
Congratulations on that! Now you can spend MORE of your time buying...errr....umm...listening (phew) to classical music. Seriously, it can be a scary day, but it can also lead to all sorts of new, exciting experiences. I hope you enjoy it!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Congrats Dave!  Enjoy retirement.  And keep posting vacation pics!! :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Drasko on July 15, 2011, 10:38:29 AM

My best guess is still French, neoclassical, style most reminds me of David or maybe one of his pupils, but still don't really know.

Hello Milos - that picture drove me NUTS when you first asked about its origin; well, I thought that the 'new' Google images software might do the trick - first try for me?

Well, the painting added above popped up on the 2nd page or so (most of the initial hits were the CD offering) - apparently painted in 1806 w/ the following description:

Portrait de femme à la fourrure, Bon-Thomas Henry, 1806, Musée Thomas-Henry de Cherbourg-Octeville (link HERE)

Dave

Drasko

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 01:39:04 PM
Hello Milos - that picture drove me NUTS when you first asked about its origin; well, I thought that the 'new' Google images software might do the trick - first try for me?

Well, the painting added above popped up on the 2nd page or so (most of the initial hits were the CD offering) - apparently painted in 1806 w/ the following description:

Portrait de femme à la fourrure, Bon-Thomas Henry, 1806, Musée Thomas-Henry de Cherbourg-Octeville (link HERE)

Dave

Bravo Dave !!! 

You are genius! :-* That's the one! That painting was driving me nuts for months (see, I'm even rhyming).
But I guess we did get most about it right from the beginning - it is early 19th century French neoclassicism. Have to admit don't think I've heard before of Thomas Henry, that's probably why I couldn't find it.

Found picture with what looks like more natural color scheme:

And Congratulations on your retirement!! Now you can plan as many museum trips as you like, maybe even one to Normandy to see femme à la fourrure in person. :)

Kontrapunctus

My kitten's first bath...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 15, 2011, 01:39:04 PM

Dave
Fantastic! You guys had sucked me in too and I had searched with no luck at the time. Good job!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Hey Guys - thanks for the 'retirement' congrats - just 2 weeks and need to slip into the 'new' role -  :D

Concerning the 'Lady in Fur', I never heard of the painter either, but there is a short Wiki bio on him HERE - dates are 1766-1836; he was born & died in Cherbourg - he donated his art collection which started the museum named in his honor; apparently included 160+ paintings by him - 'Google Images' just brings up a few.

Dave   :)

The Six

Lethevich

Unusually clean on the back.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Lethevich

That pic won't display for me :c

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Lethevich

Works, indeed. And hey, I recognise those curtains. Delicious prehistoric hotel rooms :)

Wendell_E

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 18, 2011, 09:49:17 AM
Unusually clean on the back.

She probably exercises like that every day, so it gets cleaned often.   ;D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Lethevich

Lethevich