Pictures I like

Started by oyasumi, April 14, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 03, 2011, 07:35:02 AM
Oktoberfest 2011 ends today. That's a good excuse to post a picture of my favorite Bavarian beer...and stuff.

Sarge

Those are hearty.....healthy jugs......of beer.  ;D

Opus106

Solar Ballistics. In this case, it's literally (a series of) pictures I like leading to one awe-some moment.

[NOTE: It links to a ~2 MB animated GIF.]

The "bullet" is a comet that was discovered by armchair astronomers from the pictures taken by SOHO, the satellite which also sent this set of images, just a day before this event. However, do note that as of now there is no accepted explanation between the comet's crashing into the Sun and the massive explosion.
Regards,
Navneeth

Cato

Nepalese musicians rockin' out birthday ditties for the King's birthday!  I have tried to find the name of the Reuters photographer who took the picture, but so far...I can find nothing.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on October 03, 2011, 03:54:46 PM

Nepalese musicians rockin' out birthday ditties for the King's birthday!  I have tried to find the name of the Reuters photographer who took the picture, but so far...I can find nothing.

Are there any concertos for these instruments?  I want to know!   :D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 03, 2011, 05:29:11 PM

:D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Sure, you haven't seen the "GMGs Favorite Concertos for ___________" thread yet?

;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

The Six

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 03, 2011, 07:35:02 AM
Oktoberfest 2011 ends today. That's a good excuse to post a picture of my favorite Bavarian beer...and stuff.

Sarge

That's a nice set of....beer mugs.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Coco

Geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladus being backlit by Saturn-shine. Amazing.

kishnevi

Been taking some vacation time, so Sunday and today (Tuesday) I pretended to be a tourist and took my camera to the local beach areas.

First, this is how you take the taxi in Fort Lauderdale.  (Just north of the Las Olas Bridge, if you are familiar with the area.  The blue and white bisected building is, I'm pretty sure, the Ritz Carlton.)

Next to the taxi stand is a public (meaning city owned) marina.  These boats are small compared to some of the yachts moored in the network of canals you can see in the background.  The main body of water in the picture is the Intracoastal Waterway (for the benefit of non-Yanks, that's a long waterway, part natural part man made, which runs slightly inland of the actual beach areas for most of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts).

Passing on to the beach itself, here's AIA, the beach highway.   Florida is probably the only place in the world where you would see that sign (which can be found up and down the coastline).

And here's one of the many eatery-drinkeries directly across the street from the beach.   Notice the size of the glasses--but I have no idea of how strong the drinks actually were.  And yes, Guitar Guy was actually singing "Wasting Away in Margaritaville" when I walked past.

And one from this afternoon, on the Hollywood Broadwalk (not a typo, that's the actual name)--I'll be posting the full set (a lot of 3 and 4 MB files) to Flickr in the next day or so.  But this one got on my snark radar.  It's a banner they haven't gotten around to taking down yet from a couple of weeks ago.  But really, aren't $5 Bloody Marys early on a Sunday morning the most appropriate way to memorialize 9-11?

TheGSMoeller

Thanks for sharing, Jeffrey.  ;D

Lethevich

A friend of a friend just got sent this msg when they applied for a hostel place:

Sounds awesome :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 04, 2011, 07:12:22 PM

Florida is probably the only place in the world where you would see that sign (which can be found up and down the coastline).

In some places (in the Boca area), restaurants will only seat you outside up until a certain time, because of the light and their proximity to the beach (so as not to disturb the turtles I guess). I've seen those signs all over southern Florida (along or near A1A).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

My in-laws used to live in Delray Beach between Boca Raton (i.e. Rat's Mouth) & Palm Beach - we use to visit yearly and also have made numerous trips to Florida, both coasts are lovely.  A1A is one of my favorite roads - love the manatee mail boxes.  But for those visiting try to take a scenic intracoastal waterway cruise (a nice one is in Delray Beach) if you want to see some EXPENSIVE homes (most only used in the winter) and some BIG boats.  And the eating - OH MY!   :D

kishnevi

As threatened, I posted the full set of pictures from yesterday's stroll along part of Hollywood (FL)'s beach (called the Broadwalk) over at Flickr.   The Broadwalk itself was recently renovated and pretties up but the stores and restaurants and motels range all over the place from 1940/50s to brand new, and from tourist kitschy on up to middle class respectable (there's nothing very upscale about this part of town, unlike some of the beach areas in Fort Lauderdale or Miami Beach).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34574498@N06/

Since I'm not paying for Flickr Pro, eventually these pictures will come down to make way for others, but  in the meantime you're welcome to enjoy them, and download a copy if, halevai, you really like them.  (There's a total of 82 pictures.)

Cato

Paging Karl Henning!  :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Opus106

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 05, 2011, 12:39:00 PM
Since I'm not paying for Flickr Pro, eventually these pictures will come down to make way for others...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's a storage limit for the free account. However, there is an upload limit per month.

And thanks for the tour. :)
Regards,
Navneeth