Your Five (or so) Favorite Composers

Started by USMC1960s, November 24, 2020, 06:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC1960s

Not in any particular order. Trying to broaden my horizons a bit.

Mirror Image

Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Sibelius, Villa-Lobos and Martinů. If I was allowed to expand it to 10, the others would be Dvořák, Shostakovich, Szymanowski, Fauré and Enescu.

Sergeant Rock

Wagner, Bruckner, Mahler, Sibelius, Haydn
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

steve ridgway

Ligeti, Xenakis, Penderecki, Schnittke, Scelsi.

bhodges

Listening to some Schnittke right now (for his birthday), and thinking he might be on my list. Others: Bartók, Ligeti, Bruckner, Mahler.

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

My top 5 are:

Shostakovich
Nielsen
Sibelius
Beethoven
Dvorak
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Que

Quote from: Dave B on November 24, 2020, 07:18:23 AM
Mozart...Vivaldi...Beethoven....Bach.. Tchaikovsky...Handel. .Too general a thread topic,  I guess. But I can't delete it.

You can change the opening post, and the (thread) title.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 24, 2020, 08:53:51 AM
My top 5 are:

Shostakovich
Nielsen
Sibelius
Beethoven
Dvorak

Sibelius and Nielsen...very interesting. My love for Nielsen came a bit later, but these two are certainly towering figures of Nordic music.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams
Miaskovsky
Bax
Honegger
Tubin
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Chronologically

Haydn
Mozart
Schubert
Chopin
Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninoff
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Artem

Morton Feldman
Claude Debussy
Gustav Mahler
Toru Takemitsu
Maurice Ravel

Gurn Blanston

Haydn,
Mozart,
Beethoven,
Schubert,
Vivaldi,
The Russian Romantics from Glinka thru Shostakovich  ( :-[  Well, they are interchangeable to me ::) )

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

LKB

Mahler
Beethoven
Schubert
Bruckner
J.S. Bach
Brahms

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

T. D.

Bach is definitely at the top for me. After that, the list constantly shifts.

LKB

Quote from: T. D. on November 24, 2020, 12:29:59 PM

My top five are pretty stable, but from no. 6 on l experience some shifting as well. Too many master composers for a short list...

Counting,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on November 24, 2020, 12:29:59 PM

Mine is almost in a constant flux as well, but if I were to be really honest about (and judging from my own listening habits over the past say 2-3 years), then my list would actually look something like this: Debussy, Ravel, Sibelius, Nielsen and Dvořák.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2020, 10:03:32 AM
Sibelius and Nielsen...very interesting. My love for Nielsen came a bit later, but these two are certainly towering figures of Nordic music.

I don't remember who came the first, but both are imprescindible in my top 5 or 10. I can't live without any of them!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Uhor

In this moment:

Bach
Debussy
Webern
Boulez
Feldman