Announcements > GMG News

Should Politics Be Banned From GMG?

(1/22) > >>

Mirror Image:
If the moderators take this poll down, then you’ve chosen to silence what could be a potentially fundamental issue in regards to the forum’s future. Please let this poll determine whether to allow politics in this forum or ban them altogether. I realize that it’s not an easy issue to deal with and make any hard decisions about, but I feel, and I’m speaking strictly for myself, that more members here are participating or worried about the political threads than actually contributing to what I would assume we’re all here for: the discussion and sharing of music. I say enough is enough, which may not be a popular opinion, but it’s how I feel.

T. D.:
Agreed. Of the other 2 music forums on which I spend time, one long ago banned politics (not just threads, but posts invoking the subject) after initially allowing it, and the other allows only music discussions.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: T. D. on November 22, 2020, 02:46:07 PM ---Agreed. Of the other 2 music forums on which I spend time, one long ago banned politics (not just threads, but posts invoking the subject) after initially allowing it, and the other allows only music discussions.

--- End quote ---

I do realize that in some musical discussions politics can be brought up, but it shouldn’t be one’s entire focus while they’re on GMG. Again, I’m speaking only for myself, but if I was a new member here and I see how much focus politics has been on this forum, then I would probably find another forum to join. Back when I joined GMG (10 years ago I believe), the discussion of politics was minimal and it was such an enjoyable experience, especially since I was just coming off another music forum. Now, many of the veteran members can rarely be found in the music threads (and some of them have left altogether and for good reasons).

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 02:35:59 PM ---If the moderators take this poll down, then you’ve chosen to silence what could be a potentially fundamental issue in regards to the forum’s future. Please let this poll determine whether to allow politics in this forum or ban them altogether. I realize that it’s not an easy issue to deal with and make any hard decisions about, but I feel, and I’m speaking strictly for myself, that more members here are participating or worried about the political threads than actually contributing to what I would assume we’re all here for: the discussion and sharing of music. I say enough is enough, which may not be a popular opinion, but it’s how I feel.

--- End quote ---

Tell you what: PM he Admin and make an argument to him. We've already been down that road. It's his decision to make, not ours.

FWIW, we are all in favor of no politics.

Also FWIW, be careful what you wish for; posts will disappear in a hurry, no questions asked.

Gurn

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 22, 2020, 03:13:05 PM ---Tell you what: PM he Admin and make an argument to him. We've already been down that road. It's his decision to make, not ours.

FWIW, we are all in favor of no politics.

Also FWIW, be careful what you wish for; posts will disappear in a hurry, no questions asked.

Gurn

--- End quote ---

Here’s a question in response to this post, if all of you are in favor of no political threads, why haven’t you messaged Rob? You’re a moderator. If it’s true what you say that every moderator feels that political threads should be banned, then why haven’t you guys taken it out with him? All I can do is post a poll and get people’s opinion on the topic. Don’t turn the issue back on me and say I should PM him. I’m just a peon here, Gurn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version