Adolf Barjansky [1850-1900, or 1851-1915]

Started by Scion7, November 08, 2020, 08:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

He is the textbook example of the "forgotten composer."
He has no listing in The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.
Stealing from Editions Silvertrust:

Very little information is available about Adolf Barjansky (1850-1900, some sources say 1851-1915). Even his birthplace is in dispute. Some sources state it was Odessa, others Moscow What musical training he received in Russia is unknown. Most likely it was at the Odessa Conservatory. However, it is known that he studied composition and piano at the Leipzig Conservatory with Carl Reinecke and Salomon Jadassohn. He also briefly studied in Vienna and Paris. Thereafter, he was active in Odessa, where he taught at the conservatory there. He is thought to be the father of the virtuoso cellist Alexandre Barjansky. He has two string quartets to his credit along with a piano trio, a piano quartet and some instrumental sonatas.

Quote from: Brian on April 23, 2020, 07:51:49 AM
Looks like the JUNE RELEASES ...

"ADOLF BARJANSKY was born in Odessa into a wealthy Russian-Jewish family, and received his musical education in Vienna, Paris and Leipzig, studying piano with Carl Reinecke and Salomon Judassohn. Barjansky composed relatively few works, but his highly attractive and original piano music reveals the influence of Schubert, Beethoven and Brahms with a wealth of Russian color, as heard in the Fantasy Pieces. The 6 Piano Pieces are impressionistic and radiant, while the large-scale Piano Sonata No. 1 uses spatial sound as a principal means of expression, blending it with a highly modern simplicity and transparency of structure that anticipates 20th-century minimalism."

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jul/Barjansky_piano_GP796.htm

https://grandpianorecords.com/Album/AlbumDetails/GP796

per Julia Severus in a PM:

" However, the biographical information provided there is not quite accurate. Born in Odessa to the wealthy watch and jewellery retailer Solomon Barjansky, Adolf Barjansky received his musical training from the Prague pianist and composer Ignaz Tedesco, later studied in Leipzig, Vienna and Paris. He did not study or teach at Odessa conservatory as it did not exist at that time. He is not the father of the cellist Alexander Barjansky but of the cellist Serge Barjansky, namesgiver of the famous Barjansky Stradivarius. "
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 7
String Quartet No.1 in F Major, Op.6
String Quartet No.2 , Op.8 (1894)
Piano Sonata No.2, Op.11 (1897)
Piano Sonata No.3, Op.12 (1900)
Piano Trio
Piano Quartet (1893)
Sonata for Cello & Piano
Fantasy Pieces (6), Op. 9
Piano Pieces (6), Op. 10

^ Only compositions that I could find for him.

This is apparently the premiere commercial release of any of his music:

[asin]B086PPCNSS[/asin]

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Maestro267

How on earth does one's year of death get disputed by such a huge margin? 15 years?

Scion7

Apparently nothing  properly documented. By today's reckoning, he was a minor composer of no reputation, and was never a big 'hit' with the public. Paternity for the concert cellist son is in question, according to some sources - maybe Alexandre was none too pleased with dad to ensure a proper grave marker?  Julia Severus did her own research, but the CD notes don't say what her sources were.  It would be great if Grove took a look and wrote up ... something ...