What podcast are you listening to?

Started by milk, November 23, 2020, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: milk on January 07, 2022, 03:36:58 AM
Thanks for this. I was hanging on every word. I'm not done yet but almost.

Great! How can you have sympathy for a monster? But.......
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

milk

Quote from: Irons on January 07, 2022, 08:31:21 AM
Great! How can you have sympathy for a monster? But.......
Right. Maybe growing up with my own shame and traumas I can almost imagine being that monster. But, I do see people act without guilt and I could never escape the mirror. Once in a while I meet people who obviously do not see themselves. I feel sorry for her, but am glad she got the consequences.

Irons

Quote from: milk on January 09, 2022, 04:33:22 AM
Right. Maybe growing up with my own shame and traumas I can almost imagine being that monster. But, I do see people act without guilt and I could never escape the mirror. Once in a while I meet people who obviously do not see themselves. I feel sorry for her, but am glad she got the consequences.

The Philip Larkin poem* quoted in the podcast holds true not only for Ghislaine, also Andrew. I am aware she had brothers and sisters but she was daddy's little girl.

*This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

milk

Quote from: Irons on January 10, 2022, 01:17:39 AM
The Philip Larkin poem* quoted in the podcast holds true not only for Ghislaine, also Andrew. I am aware she had brothers and sisters but she was daddy's little girl.

*This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

And they stuck by her. I signed up for his trial coverage too. We're in a strange place now as the whole trial could really be declared a mistrial. It's a real possibility.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Olias

Conductor Joshua Weilerstein (Alisa's brother) has a great podcast called Sticky Notes.

https://stickynotespodcast.libsyn.com

"It is the artists of the world, the feelers, and the thinkers who will ultimately save us." - Leonard Bernstein

milk

Matt and Shane's secret podcast featuring Louis CK. Here's a 4-part series on every American president. It's good fun and gets better and funnier as you listen. There's lots of bawdy humor but also some genuine insight.

https://mattandshanessecret.libsyn.com/ep-393-the-presidents-feat-louis-ck

Irons

Becoming addicted to Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook's podcast The Rest is History. Many to go but so far cherry picked Trafalgar (3), Qatar: A History, Morocco: The Rif War, Marilyn Monroe and half way through Gorbachev, the fall of the Soviet Union.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 27, 2022, 07:12:22 AMBecoming addicted to Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook's podcast The Rest is History. Many to go but so far cherry picked Trafalgar (3), Qatar: A History, Morocco: The Rif War, Marilyn Monroe and half way through Gorbachev, the fall of the Soviet Union.
Thanks for mentioning these podcasts.  I just listened to one on van Eyck (No. 271).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

Quote from: Irons on December 27, 2022, 07:12:22 AMBecoming addicted to Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook's podcast The Rest is History. Many to go but so far cherry picked Trafalgar (3), Qatar: A History, Morocco: The Rif War, Marilyn Monroe and half way through Gorbachev, the fall of the Soviet Union.
They are just brilliant, especially Tom (I might prefer him slightly because I am far more interested in ancient+medieval history than in 20th century Britain ;)). I have not listened to all of them as quite a few are a bit too UK-specific or otherwise not that interesting to me and they are also more than I have time/leisure for. But they have an almost perfect mix of seriousness, information, often nice details even for people not totally unfamiliar with the themes, banter, great guests, great topics.
Highly recommended! Almost everyone will like at least some of their episodes, I'd expect.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on December 30, 2022, 08:51:36 AMThey are just brilliant, especially Tom (I might prefer him slightly because I am far more interested in ancient+medieval history than in 20th century Britain ;)). I have not listened to all of them as quite a few are a bit too UK-specific or otherwise not that interesting to me and they are also more than I have time/leisure for. But they have an almost perfect mix of seriousness, information, often nice details even for people not totally unfamiliar with the themes, banter, great guests, great topics.
Highly recommended! Almost everyone will like at least some of their episodes, I'd expect.

I quite enjoyed the one that I have listened to so far.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

I'm going to have to try this. My brain is turning to mush from listening to too many Dateline podcasts.

Irons

Quote from: milk on January 06, 2023, 10:41:33 PMI'm going to have to try this. My brain is turning to mush from listening to too many Dateline podcasts.

I recommend Qatar and Morocco as starters. Fascinating.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

"Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds".

The life story in two parts of Oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb.

milk

The Apology Line. Crazy thing that really existed in the 80s. Interesting podcast.