The 1550 to 1650 appreciation society.

Started by Mandryka, September 15, 2022, 07:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

This period seems to me transitional, maybe I've been over generous in giving it 100 years - what I have in mind is  the transition from Renaissance style to Baroque.

Anyway, here's a thread to post ideas about it. Maybe it'll come to nothing, maybe it'll be a valuable catalogue of a really creative time in European music history.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

And I'll kick it off with everyone's favourite Scottish mercenary composer callant, Tobias Hume

What a voice Suzie Le Blanc has! Magnificent. And I think the two viol players are much much better here than on their Naxos Hume integral.

San Antone

Are the dates meant to cover birthdates for composers or composition dates of works?

Mandryka

Music composed in this 100 year period I think. Biber, Reincken, Blow - they're streng verboten.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Yes thinking about what happens in Monteverdi Book V is what prompted this thread in fact. It seems to start off Renaissance style and end thoroughly baroque. Written in the last decade of the 16th century I think.

Trabaci is another good one to think about - I'd argue that his Bk 1 is Renaissance style and his Bk 2 is baroque.

Todd

Another easy pick from the period: Gesualdo.

Todd

Another really easy one, and one of the best piano recordings of the century, even if it is anachronistic:

Archaic Torso of Apollo

This period is dear to me, because it marks the emergence of both solo keyboard music and ensemble instrumental music as distinct genres.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mandryka

One mover and shaker in instrumental music  from this period was Antonio Valente - he was a publisher of anthologies certainly, and maybe a composer in his own right too. Paola Erdas has been keen to explore the music he championed on record, this was released last year

An earlier recording explored music coming out of the court of Gesualdo - there's some overlap, different instruments, the musician 10 years younger - that makes it all the more interesting I think

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Reviewing a list of other composers who cranked out works in the defined period, it does indeed end up a disproportionate favorite of mine.  Another great composer who wrote quite a bit in the defined period was Heinrich Schütz.  The Rademann set is a handy way to hear all of it.  Some highlights:

The new erato

Definiyely agree on Schutz - sorry about the lack of umlauts.

Todd

A composer that fits perfectly in the designated time period is Tomás Luis de Victoria.  In addition to a few other discs, this handy-dandy set has served me well for over a decade now: