George Whitefield Chadwick - "Tobasco" overture

Started by Scion7, December 14, 2020, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

American composer George Whitefield Chadwick [1854-1931] composed Tabasco (burlesque opera) in 1894.  It is not available on any recording format/never was recorded.

The Czech orchestra 'Hradec Kralove Philharmonic' conducted by Paul Mauffray performed the overture and this was taped in 2014, I believe, but I don't know the location or event.   Like virtually all of Chadwick's work, an excellent piece. Since this has upgraded audio it can't be run in a shell  on the browser - you'll need to d/l it, sorry - .mkv files can be played on any media player worth tuppence.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/thfjbk5v8s4hu55/Overture_to_The_Burlesque_Opera_%2527Tabasco%2527-Hradec_Kralove_Philharmonic_Paul_Mauffray.mkv/file

good for 90 days, I believe

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."