Franco-Flemish Jewish composer were there any?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, December 01, 2020, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

I know Jews were persecuted during medieval time but I am wondering if Flemish  were mmore liberal or if there any renaissance Jewish  Italian composers that I would like like Sephardic composer?

This is an interesting topic is it ?  :) mazel tov

pjme

I can't answer your question. Try here (Fr/eng):
https://www.iemj.org/

https://boutique.iemj.org/fr/cd/62-juifs-et-trouveres.html

This CD is dedicated to the songs of the Jewish communities living in Northern France in the second half of the 13th century. During this troubled time spanning the burning of the Talmud to the expulsion of 1306, Jews shared much of their daily life with the Christians, as well as a common taste in literature, monuments, the sounds of cities and fairs, their joie-de-vivre and popular music.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: pjme on December 02, 2020, 01:25:07 PM
I can't answer your question. Try here (Fr/eng):
https://www.iemj.org/

https://boutique.iemj.org/fr/cd/62-juifs-et-trouveres.html

This CD is dedicated to the songs of the Jewish communities living in Northern France in the second half of the 13th century. During this troubled time spanning the burning of the Talmud to the expulsion of 1306, Jews shared much of their daily life with the Christians, as well as a common taste in literature, monuments, the sounds of cities and fairs, their joie-de-vivre and popular music.
Thank you buddy , the CD album look quite nice  8)

Mandryka

Though not really answering your question, this may be of interest - not least because Montserrat Figueras is in fine fettle.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

There is some information here:
https://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/browse?btog=chap&t=music_Topics%3A69&t0=music_Eras%3A4
My own family is of Sephardic Jewish origin so this is of more than academic interest to me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carlo Gesualdo

Thnak you very much kind folks ffor answering  the best you can this question,, love you guys   really do  the great Mandryka, Vandermolen is also  a great human being,, you have all my respect,, and the first poster  that answer too, great folks.

Love you all greats souls  ;D

Carlo Gesualdo

What is the Mandelsson of Franco-Flemish , who converted to christianism or conceal his religion I am sure there is at least one?

To make another subject about Jewish franco-flemish ?
good idea hey?

How about the mysterious CD that I love so much CESAR VIVE! Prague 1609-Music for Emperor Rudolfh  II there is a mysterious  M .Maier or  Krystof Harant(Harrant being a Jewish name). love both

vandermolen

Quote from: deprofundis on December 05, 2020, 11:56:34 AM
What is the Mandelsson of Franco-Flemish , who converted to christianism or conceal his religion I am sure there is at least one?

good idea hey?

How about the mysterious CD that I love so much CESAR VIVE! Prague 1609-Music for Emperor Rudolfh  II there is a mysterious  M .Maier or  Krystof Harant(Harrant being a Jewish name). love both

Not sure about this DP although it always moves me to remember that the (non-Jewish) German composer Karl Amadeus Hartmann banned the Nazi radio from playing any of his music, apart from his string quartet based on Jewish themes! (source Erich Grunberger: 'A Social History of the Third Reich'). Needless to say, his music went into something of an eclipse during the period of the Third Reich and it's amazing that he survived at all. The mayor of Leipzig, Carl Goerdeler joined the resistance to the Nazis (he was later executed) when the statue of Felix Mendelssohn was removed from outside the Town Hall while he was away on holiday.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on December 05, 2020, 11:56:34 AM

good idea hey?

Maybe not Flemish exactly, but what about Luys Milan? Jew by birth, Christian by faith, nobleman by aspiration,  poet, composer, virtuoso.

That being said, I'm sure that there was some Franco Flem wallah who was seriously interested in Jewish occult stuff, Kabbalah, dybuks & co., and his music is full full of it symbolically speaking, if and when I remember who I'll post. If he doesn't exist, he should.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen