RIP Camilla Wicks (1928-2020)

Started by schnittkease, December 07, 2020, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnittkease

I just found out about her death on November 25. A great violinist who I wish made more recordings. Wicks' Sibelius is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5gwjkFoBX4Y

André Le Nôtre

My favorite Sibelius cto ever recorded. Her Beethoven was very nice as well. Sorry to hear this news.

springrite

I know her personally and know much about intimate details about her life, including things that now only I know (since other people who know those secrets are all gone now). It is a deep loss!

For her last three decades she has lived in the Bay Area. She had 30 to 40 students living in her house! One of her students is Huang Bin, winner of the Paganini Competition many years ago (along with Vengerov). After the death of the most important person in Camilla's life passed away, it is through Huang Bin that I got Camilla's phone number. Our first phone conversation lasted more than three hours.

Rest in Peace.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for posting that link Schnittkease.  I was greatly enjoying listening to it (alas lost it when I went to type something here).  Is her recording of it on CD still available?  On Amazon, it listed the Biddulph CD as NLA (There's an MP3 recording available there though).

Springrite,

Fortunate you to have known her!  And how kind and generous for her to have offered her home to all of those students over the years!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

In the world of LPs, this is the one you want. (I am now motivated to find her other recordings, whatever medium they may occupy.)

schnittkease

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 10, 2020, 03:50:49 AM
Thank you for posting that link Schnittkease.  I was greatly enjoying listening to it (alas lost it when I went to type something here).  Is her recording of it on CD still available?  On Amazon, it listed the Biddulph CD as NLA (There's an MP3 recording available there though).

I only know of the Biddulph CD. If not Amazon, I'm sure you can get it from Discogs or some other place...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on December 10, 2020, 01:59:33 PM
In the world of LPs, this is the one you want. (I am now motivated to find her other recordings, whatever medium they may occupy.)

Yes, thanks André.  That was the image (or with a blue cover) that I saw online yesterday.  :)

Quote from: schnittkease on December 11, 2020, 12:31:05 AM
I only know of the Biddulph CD. If not Amazon, I'm sure you can get it from Discogs or some other place...

I did see (on Discogs) that there was also a Japanese release on CD (couldn't read the name of the label) too.  Neither the LP nor the CD are going for cheap however.  I did also find a boxed set (on CD) of other recordings by her too (on Amazon).

There's also this one too:

Oh!  The Sibelius is on the Profil one!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

schnittkease

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter