Pierre Henry's Concrete Bungalow

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, December 14, 2020, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

steve ridgway

I'm glad to see someone else wants to talk about Henry. From the review that looks like it's a cut and paste of actual Beethoven recordings, and therefore different to La 10ème Remix that I have in the Odyssée box which has many musique concrete sound effects and ends with a big rave music section.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 15, 2020, 10:05:16 AM
I'm glad to see someone else wants to talk about Henry. From the review that looks like it's a cut and paste of actual Beethoven recordings, and therefore different to La 10ème Remix that I have in the Odyssée box which has many musique concrete sound effects and ends with a big rave music section.

That's on me. Although such a work certainly exists (CD from Hell: Beethoven Knob-Fiddling).

QuoteWhat this is: All of Beethoven's symphonies–most of the material coming from the 9th–shredded into bits and then woven into a tapestry that leaves Beethoven unmolested for large stretches at a time, only to then "splice the tape" or repeat a section or layer it with other fragments, with musical cells poking through the surface like shards of drift ice. The ingredients are all and solely Beethoven.

What I meant is that Henry takes exact phrases from the score and overlays and condenses and repeats them. So the source material, compositionally speaking, is all made up of short phrases from his symphonies... but not from recordings.

aukhawk

Variations for a Door and a Sigh is all I know of Henry.  Must be 40 years since I've heard it but wouldn't mind revisiting.

Pierre Henry; Variations pour une porte et un soupir

steve ridgway

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 16, 2020, 06:37:44 AM
What I meant is that Henry takes exact phrases from the score and overlays and condenses and repeats them. So the source material, compositionally speaking, is all made up of short phrases from his symphonies... but not from recordings.

That sounds more reasonable thanks.

steve ridgway

Quote from: aukhawk on December 18, 2020, 03:44:17 AM
Variations for a Door and a Sigh is all I know of Henry.  Must be 40 years since I've heard it but wouldn't mind revisiting.

Not my favourite but I'm still listening to it in the rotation. The unmentioned musical saw is actually my favourite sound on that album.