New Computer

Started by Lady Chatterley, April 14, 2007, 07:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Chatterley

I need a new computer,imac vs pc...?

Que

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 14, 2007, 07:57:13 PM

All I can say I made the switch from PC to Mac a few years ago - and I won't ever go back. 8)

Q

mahlertitan

depends what you are going to do with it

Dungeon Master

With an iMac, you can run Apple OS X with all its excellent built-in programs, stability and user-friendliness, as well as Windows XP - best of both worlds. Why would anyone buy just a PC anymore?

mahlertitan

Quote from: admin on April 14, 2007, 10:32:52 PM
With an iMac, you can run Apple OS X with all its excellent built-in programs, stability and user-friendliness, as well as Windows XP - best of both worlds. Why would anyone buy just a PC anymore?

PCs are cheaper.

Catison

There really is no one size fits all computer.  What you intend to do with it, where you plan to use it, and your own budget are all major factors.

I can't personally endorse Macs because I have never used them.  I do know a lot of people like them and find them very easy to use.  The only problem I have with them is that they are extremely proprietary (even more than Windows).  Apple makes the hardware and the OS.  It is impossible to get a configuration to suite you exactly, and sometimes pricing can seem arbitrary.  But because their OS only needs to support standard equipment, they can minimize incompatibilities.

PCs offer much more customization, and are usually a better value.  Windows Vista, the new Microsoft OS, is much more user friend than XP.  Right now the leader in PCs is HP, so I would recommend them if you want to buy from a national brand, which I think is a good idea.

But whatever you get, try not to get suckered into buying a bunch of extras you don't need.  Most of the expensive components in computers are there for a small group of customers, and the average computer user will never need them.  So don't get a huge hard drive unless you plan to do a lot of music and/or video editing.  Don't get the best graphics card unless you plan on playing a lot of 3D games.  If I was going to spend my money on anything, it would be the most RAM I could get.  How fast the processor is doesn't really matter much anymore.  It is much more important to have between 1 and 2 GB of RAM.  Your computer will start faster, and you'll be able to have many more programs running at one time, which is the general trend people have.
-Brett

mahlertitan

if you enjoy ipod, and interested in iphone, or like mouse with only one button, ibook is the computer for you.

Lady Chatterley

I like to use my computer as a stereo,I like to scan,store and send photo's and I'm a great e-mailer.
That's about it. I don't play games.

I like the idea of the mini mac,not too costly and I can use the monitor,printer/scanner,speakers I already own.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 15, 2007, 07:49:55 AM
I like to use my computer as a stereo,I like to scan,store and send photo's and I'm a great e-mailer.

I like the idea of the mini mac,not too costly and I can use the monitor,printer/scanner,speakers I already own.

in that case both PC and Mac are equally good.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: admin on April 14, 2007, 10:32:52 PM

Because you get more bang for your buck, assuming you know what you are doing. That comes in handy with hardware intensive applications, like gaming...

Catison

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 15, 2007, 07:49:55 AM

So what is wrong with your current computer?
-Brett

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Catison on April 15, 2007, 03:52:30 PM
So what is wrong with your current computer?
It won't talk to my printer,the usb port or something.Did I mention I hate computers?

Catison

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 15, 2007, 07:17:15 PM
It won't talk to my printer,the usb port or something.Did I mention I hate computers?

That's no reason for a new computer...
-Brett

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lady Chatterley on April 15, 2007, 07:17:15 PM

lol

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Catison on April 15, 2007, 08:35:20 PM
That's no reason for a new computer...

The printer works fine,I can scan and print anything and my scanner seems to talk to the computer and will affix images to my e-mails,but if I try to print from the computer,Lexmark tells me it won't  communicate .I paid $80 bucks for some fella to tell me it was the usb port?