pianist Stanley Cowell R.I.P.

Started by Scion7, December 19, 2020, 06:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

He was 79.   :(

Prime mover of Strata-East records.  Collaborated with Bobby Hutcherson, Woody Shaw, Ed Blackwell, Roy Haynes, Stanley Clarke, Larry Coryell, Richard Davis, etc., etc., etc.   

Brilliant Circles
(1969), at least, should be in every Jazz fan's collection.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

T. D.

Thanks for starting this thread. I considered doing so yesterday but passed because I expected no response.

I've been listening to all my Cowell recordings as leader and sideman. Extremely sad news; Cowell is a big favorite and a true unsung/underrated artist IMO.

Brilliant Circles is excellent music, but the recording is notorious for poor sound quality. Saxophonist Tyrone Washington seems to be playing his ass off, but it's difficult to tell because he sounds as if he was recorded from another room (and not even an adjacent one  ;) ).

Scion7

?  My vinyl sounds really good - maybe you bought a mfg'd defective copy?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Ah - I see on Wiki that the Black Lion CD re-issue of this record has been scathed.  Scorched.  Volatilized.
I've never heard it.