New Year 2021's Resolution

Started by Florestan, December 19, 2020, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I have one and only one:

--- to never ever again post in any political, or politically-related, thread, so help me God!

I also take the opportunity to sincerely and publicly apologize to whomever I might have offended by posting in such threads. It was never my intention to do so, and in my defense I plead either mostly drunk or otherwise in contrarian mood just for the sake of it.

From today on I shall post only in topics related to music, literature or other arts.

NOTE TO THE MODS: Please feel free to ban me permanently if I break this resolution!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

To buy less CDs (I'm sure that this is my resolution every year  ::))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on December 19, 2020, 09:16:36 AM
to never ever again post in any political, or politically-related, thread, so help me God!

This is very good Florestan, I must think of something along the lines of protecting my mind from absorbing negativity.

Mirror Image

Like Jeffrey, I'd like to buy less CDs and try to focus more on what I already own, which I've done a decent job of given how much I used to buy in the past. I'd like to dwindle it down to like one new CD a month if I could or maybe even one new CD every three months. On a more personal note, I'm not looking for any companionship of any kind this year and I'm enjoying my solitude. It allows me for more time for other things like music, films, books, etc, but if something good does come along, then obviously I won't turn the other cheek. I guess when you start getting comfortable being alone, it feels like it'll take someone quite special to pull me away from all the things I love doing.

greg

Quote from: Florestan on December 19, 2020, 09:16:36 AM
I have one and only one:

--- to never ever again post in any political, or politically-related, thread, so help me God!

I also take the opportunity to sincerely and publicly apologize to whomever I might have offended by posting in such threads. It was never my intention to do so, and in my defense I plead either mostly drunk or otherwise in contrarian mood just for the sake of it.

From today on I shall post only in topics related to music, literature or other arts.

NOTE TO THE MODS: Please feel free to ban me permanently if I break this resolution!
I was about to say, why do people even make new years resolutions? Never understood that. I do all my planning year round, no need to wait for a fresh start.

But then I saw your resolution... and yeah, that's a good one... it's such a purely toxic environment and a waste of time.

If I have any New Year's resolution it's just to continue working on the mixing of my album, it's all recorded but just a matter of learning how to turn something that sounds like garbage (as all raws do) to something that sounds professional. Learned a LOT just the last week. 
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Jo498

There is a fairly easy trick if one has an urge to respond to obviously stupid comments: Write your answer to blow off the steam but delete it before posting. Of course the self control to delete before posting and then refrain from re-engaging with the thread or message is still needed but it is an option I have sometimes used in the past.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2020, 07:21:14 PM
Like Jeffrey, I'd like to buy less CDs and try to focus more on what I already own, which I've done a decent job of given how much I used to buy in the past. I'd like to dwindle it down to like one new CD a month if I could or maybe even one new CD every three months. On a more personal note, I'm not looking for any companionship of any kind this year and I'm enjoying my solitude. It allows me for more time for other things like music, films, books, etc, but if something good does come along, then obviously I won't turn the other cheek. I guess when you start getting comfortable being alone, it feels like it'll take someone quite special to pull me away from all the things I love doing.
Sounds like a good plan John.
Remember the paradoxical Taoist saying 'Give up and you will succeed'.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 21, 2020, 06:04:43 AM
Sounds like a good plan John.
Remember the paradoxical Taoist saying 'Give up and you will succeed'.
:)

Yes, indeed. 8)

drogulus

My old year had a resolution of 1680x1050. My New Years resolution, not yet adopted, is 1920x1200.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

I have never done new years resolutions, but I'm planning to be much less active here and perhaps on other boards too. Now that Biden becomes the president in less than three weeks I will try to follow US politics much less. I have already followed it enough for one lifetime!  :-\

I feel better being less active online and doing my own things like making music and exploring Air Supply's albums. Amazing band. How can sappy soft rock/ballads sound that good?

So, you'll probably see me less frequently here, but I'm not planning to leave completely. Occationally I might have a valid reason to come here.

Quote from: drogulus on January 01, 2021, 08:53:27 AM
     My old year had a resolution of 1680x1050. My New Years resolution, not yet adopted, is 1920x1200.

2022 it's gonno be 4K?  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on January 02, 2021, 02:00:38 PM
How can sappy soft rock/ballads sound that good?

It's user error, or an illusion like consciousness.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on January 02, 2021, 07:12:44 PM
     It's user error, or an illusion like consciousness.

People are "music racists." People often like one or two music genres while thinking all other music just sucks. I used to be like that when I was 20. That was 30 year ago. Suprising music appears to your music collection when you explore music with an open mind. It's okay. If the music makes you happy and improves your quality of life you are doing it right even when other people say to you it's the worst music on this planet... ...if user errors and illusions make my life worth living so be it!  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Not completely right IMO. People finding out what they like doesn't preclude exploring; as all the forays into obscure music here shows a joy in discovering new horizons even though it's not humanly possible to listen to (or like) everything.

I've recently played a couple of Bille Holliday albums, listened to "Never for Ever" from Kate Bush and ordered Heroes from Bowie and 3 Lana del Rey albums from a sale, even though classical is my main fare. And Talk Talks Spirit of Eden - you made me do it! Wonder what that will sound like. Perseverance often is the key, but not everybody has all the time in the world. One cannot read all the books in the world, either.

Don't usually post about it here, though.

And yes, there's stuff I after 55 years of music listening have found out I cannot bother to spend time on.

It's the same with my wine interest, I know what I find interesting and occasionally venture into unknown territory and discover gold in some cases, and rubbish in other cases.