Debussy's Preludes

Started by Frankler, August 15, 2008, 07:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: George on February 16, 2024, 07:29:33 AMwow, Google groups rmcr is dead in a few days!

EDIT: Actually it seems that it's Google that is getting kicked off Usenet, not the other way 'round.

I checked in a few weeks ago, and it looked like a cesspool then (over Israel/Palestine, but it's always something...).  I posted a lot on r.m.c.r in the pre-GMG days.

r.m.c.r will still be available with a Usenet news reader, though.  Google Groups was just a free way to access it on the web without having to subscribe to a Usenet server.

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on February 16, 2024, 02:33:35 PMr.m.c.r will still be available with a Usenet news reader, though.  Google Groups was just a free way to access it on the web without having to subscribe to a Usenet server.

That is an age check if I've ever seen one!  No millenial or gen z would even know about subing to a usenet server.

Mookalafalas

Irina Mejoueva in live recital

It's all good...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Listening to these recordings on YouTube lately.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 16, 2024, 06:58:42 AMThanks a lot for the link. Richter and Ericourt look interesting. I like Paul Jacobs.

New discovery - Hisako Hiseki. Bad sound though.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Talking about Joyce Hatto, I just checked Tateno's Debussy. Nice playing, but the touch is a little hard (and monotonous) for my preference. Plus, I would like more rhythmic vigor and expression. Again, decent performance though.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 26, 2024, 07:02:56 PMTalking about Joyce Hatto, I just checked Tateno's Debussy. Nice playing, but the touch is a little hard (and monotonous) for my preference. Plus, I would like more rhythmic vigor and expression. Again, decent performance though.

I have a recording of him with Bk1 and 2 - I've never got into much, though as you say it seems decent enough.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 26, 2024, 07:02:56 PMTalking about Joyce Hatto, I just checked Tateno's Debussy. Nice playing, but the touch is a little hard (and monotonous) for my preference. Plus, I would like more rhythmic vigor and expression. Again, decent performance though.

Enjoying the book 2 this morning - you just have to go with the flow. It's the sense of a poised and thought through and well executed performance which I think I'm responding to. Tasteful and restrained. Glad to have it, even if it's taken me about 15 years to finally appreciate it. And in truth I don't know whether I'm just in a Debussy mood and happened to pick this one. I'm now enjoying the Hatto etudes (Margit Rahkonen.)

Has he lost his right hand? The English translation of the review of this recording suggests he has, but it's not clear!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Izumi-Tateno-Takashi-Yoshimatsu-Hybrid/dp/B000NA6OSO

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on April 14, 2024, 12:59:58 AMEnjoying the book 2 this morning - you just have to go with the flow. It's the sense of a poised and thought through and well executed performance which I think I'm responding to. Tasteful and restrained. Glad to have it, even if it's taken me about 15 years to finally appreciate it. And in truth I don't know whether I'm just in a Debussy mood and happened to pick this one. I'm now enjoying the Hatto etudes (Margit Rahkonen.)

Has he lost his right hand? The English translation of the review of this recording suggests he has, but it's not clear!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Izumi-Tateno-Takashi-Yoshimatsu-Hybrid/dp/B000NA6OSO

In 2002, Tateno became paralyzed on his right side body due to a cerebral hemorrhage. In 2004 he made a comeback as a "left-handed pianist". Crown empress of Japan is a fan of his music.  I will check the recording again and comment later.

https://www.nippon.com/ja/people/e00167/#:~:text=60%E5%B9%B4%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E8%8A%B8%E8%A1%93%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6,%E6%94%AF%E6%8F%B4%E6%B4%BB%E5%8B%95%E3%81%AB%E3%82%82%E3%81%8B%E3%81%8B%E3%82%8F%E3%82%8B%E3%80%82