Avant garde music for that piece of furniture called a piano.

Started by Mandryka, December 20, 2020, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Suddenly I find myself really enjoying Mark Andre's piano music, I guess like everything, the music has to match your mood if you're going to appreciate it. A debt to Stockhausen seems possible, on the basis of very superficial listening to both composers!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Tom Johnson: An Hour for Piano
by Kai Schumacher
I don't know. Am I in the right place?

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on February 18, 2021, 08:54:18 AM

There are some incredible, astonishing, things on this one -- the best new discovery for a long time. Traces for piano and live electronics, Fantasy for piano, Less than Two. This is a magnificent album.

Returning to this this morning I feel exactly the same way, this is one of the most interesting and stimulating piano recordings I know.

T. D.

Quote from: milk on April 04, 2021, 07:32:54 AM
Tom Johnson: An Hour for Piano
by Kai Schumacher
I don't know. Am I in the right place?

Some might quibble with calling a "minimalist" work avant-garde, but I see no problem. Especially since Rzewski recorded the piece.

Mandryka

This CD features quite a long and exploratory piece of music called Beginners Mind, I have to say that it's one of the more interesting examples of piano music I've ever heard, a systematic exploration of a range of styles. Ian Pace is in fine fettle for it, and well recorded too. Zimmermann is, I think, a good composer - in a Howard Skempton/Laurence Crane sort of way.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2021, 01:11:12 PM

Sensual performance well recorded - possibly the best new release of 2021 and it's only the start of  May.

arpeggio

It is because of threads like this that I think that this is the best classical music forum I have participated in.  It is very enlightening.

I have participated in other forums where threads like this were taken over and ruined by people who hated avant garde music.

Mandryka

I discovered this CD and the piano player through exploring performances of Sciarrino's Perdute in un cità d'acque. I thought Stafano Malferrari moved it forward really skilfully, it caught my attention in a positive way. I then went on to enjoy his way with Danatoni's Françoises Variationen (why the mixture of French and German? Does anyone know?)

There seem to be three sets of the Donatoni variations by the way - so this must be a significant piece in his oeuvre.

Anyway, he's a musician for me to follow. And the experience made me realise that I know so little of what's happening with music in Italy today.

premont

Quote from: arpeggio on May 06, 2021, 06:10:58 PM
I have participated in other forums where threads like this were taken over and ruined by people who hated avant garde music.

It is not fair to say that one hates avant-garde music. Such people should be moderated. It must be sufficient to state that one is not attracted to it
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Mandryka, do you recall the Fluxus festival in Copenhagen somewhere in the 1960es (I only saw it on TV) where David Tudor interrupted his playing and then with an ax shattered the piano completely. This is performance, but is it art, and if yes then why?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 09, 2021, 08:03:05 AM
Mandryka, do you recall the Fluxus festival in Copenhagen somewhere in the 1960es (I only saw it on TV) where David Tudor interrupted his playing and then with an ax shattered the piano completely. This is performance, but is it art, and if yes then why?

i don't know how to answer the question.

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2021, 08:27:57 AM

This CD features quite a long and exploratory piece of music called Beginners Mind, I have to say that it's one of the more interesting examples of piano music I've ever heard, a systematic exploration of a range of styles. Ian Pace is in fine fettle for it, and well recorded too. Zimmermann is, I think, a good composer - in a Howard Skempton/Laurence Crane sort of way.

Everybody who loves life and poetry should take Herbert Henck's recording of Walter Zimmermann's Beginner's Mind forthwith.

https://soundcloud.com/user-985460328/walter-zimmermann-beginners

Mandryka

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

arpeggio

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 09, 2021, 07:58:44 AM
It is not fair to say that one hates avant-garde music. Such people should be moderated. It must be sufficient to state that one is not attracted to it

I think I can say this in this forum without getting into trouble.

There are many contemporary and avant garde composers I do no understand.  For example I do no get Stockhausen.  That is just my opinion.  And an opinion is like a rectum.  Everybody has one.  I know that we have many members who follow Stockhausen.  They really do not care what my opinion is of Stockhausen, so why bother to mention it.  Who knows.  Some day I may run into a Stockhausen that I like.

Most want to know about the music we like and do not care about the music we dislike.

steve ridgway

Quote from: arpeggio on May 09, 2021, 04:19:05 PM
Some day I may run into a Stockhausen that I like.

It's possible as his works have varied across the years, some were thoroughly composed while others were just suggestions to the performers.

Mandryka

Rytis Mazulis uses a computer to compose and then to perform his piano music. I know half of you won't believe me,  but it is thrilling stuff: brutal, fast beyond the limits of what mortals alone can do. This is piano music for the Merzbau fraternity.

The title is interesting. Twittering Machine could refer to Twitter, the frantic and unreasonable plethora of tweets. It could also refer to Paul Klee's extraordinary painting of the same name.

Mandryka

There's a piano piece here, Der Schattenspiel by G F Haas, it's very good, it has caught my interest.

T. D.

Sorry if slightly OT, but here's a funny jazz story (emphasis and [...] added):

...But there was one Blue Note Pete La Roca album, Basra. Steve Kuhn [the pianist on Basra] is a wonderful pianist who played with Pete in John Coltrane's tremendous band with Steve Davis on bass. I saw that quartet often at the Jazz Gallery. Eventually Steve, Pete and I played a lot together and made a few records. Three Waves was Kuhn's trio date, while Art Farmer's Sing Me Softly of the Blues has a wonderful rendition of the Carla Bley title track. But the record most people know today is Basra.
"One of the tunes on Basra was 'Lazy Afternoon,' a tender ballad. We were in full flight, mid-take, with our eyes closed, when Kuhn reached inside the piano to pluck a chord. There were immediate loud and abrupt noises over the P.A. Rudy [legendary recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder] came running out to the room in the middle of the take and angrily told Kuhn, 'If you touch those strings again, this date is over.' We were all sitting there pinned to our seats with our eyes bugged out.

https://jazztimes.com/features/columns/steve-swallow-pete-la-roca/