Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Reynaldo Hahn
Gabriel Pierné
Jules Massenet
Giuseppe Martucci No. 1
John Field No. 1

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Løvfald on March 01, 2023, 12:48:00 PMYes, there's one, and you created it, Jeffrey:

Had he asked his wife before posting, he could have avoided this embarrassment.  ;D  >:D

Wanderer

Medtner: either of the three
Skalkottas: either of the three
Foulds: Dynamic Triptych
Busoni
Dvořák
Korngold
Henselt
Tovey
Paderewski
Scharwenka No. 4
Hummel in A minor (Op. 85)
Walton: Sinfonia concertante
Scriabin
Vaughan Williams (I much prefer it in its original version for ONE piano and orchestra)

I could go on.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 01, 2023, 12:53:12 PMHad he asked his wife before posting, he could have avoided this embarrassment.  ;D  >:D

HAHA  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Wanderer on March 01, 2023, 10:30:01 PMMedtner: either of the three
Skalkottas: either of the three
Foulds: Dynamic Triptych
Busoni
Dvořák
Korngold
Henselt
Tovey

Paderewski
Scharwenka No. 4
Hummel in A minor (Op. 85)
Walton: Sinfonia concertante
Scriabin
Vaughan Williams (I much prefer it in its original version for ONE piano and orchestra)

I could go on.

Nice list - the Tovey interests me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 01, 2023, 12:14:14 PMSigismond Thalberg
Henrique Oswald
Isaac Albeniz
Francisco Mignone
Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Reynaldo Hahn
Gabriel Pierné
Jules Massenet
Giuseppe Martucci No. 1
John Field No. 1

Don't know any of these. Which should I sample first Andrei?

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 01:07:45 PMDon't know any of these. Which should I sample first Andrei?

My vote is for the Paderewski.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 02, 2023, 01:20:38 PMMy vote is for the Paderewski.  :)
Thank you!  :)

Wasn't he Prime Minister of Poland?

Brahmsian

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Tsintsadze Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra
Medtner pc3
Vladigerov pc 3
Fikret Amirov
Vasif Adigezalov pc4
August de Boeck Concerto for Piano and Orchestra
Guarnieri pc1
Ned Rorem
Kapralova
Yossifov pc2
Peter Mennin
Vesslin Stoyanov pc1

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Løvfald on December 21, 2020, 06:06:52 PMSome have been superb discoveries:

Mosolov 1
Benoit
Alnaes
Boeck
Bacewicz
Levina 2
Mathieu 4
Carwithen
Vine 1
Papandopulo 3

+ these:

Bo Linde: Piano Concerto No. 2
Lydia Auster: Piano Concerto No. 1 in G major
Dag Wirén: Piano Concerto, Op. 26
Eduard Franck: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C major
Erwin Schulhoff: Concerto for piano and small orchestra, Op. 43
Samuil Feinberg: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 44
Ildebrando Pizzetti: Canti della stagione alta
William Alwyn: Piano Concerto No. 2
Leo Weiner: Piano Concertino, Op. 15
Zygmunt Stojowski: Piano Concerto No. 2 in A-flat major, Op. 32
Alexis de Castillon: Piano Concerto in D major, Op. 12
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Wanderer

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 01:06:57 PMNice list - the Tovey interests me.

It's a delightful work, unfairly neglected. The Osborne/BBCSSO/Brabbins recording on Hyperion is the one to get.

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 01:07:45 PMDon't know any of these. Which should I sample first?

The Paderewski.

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 01:53:44 PMWasn't he Prime Minister of Poland?

And Foreign Minister. His signature is on the Treaty of Versailles, which granted Poland its independence after World War I.

vandermolen

Quote from: Wanderer on March 02, 2023, 08:43:01 PMIt's a delightful work, unfairly neglected. The Osborne/BBCSSO/Brabbins recording on Hyperion is the one to get.

The Paderewski.

And Foreign Minister. His signature is on the Treaty of Versailles, which granted Poland its independence after World War I.

Thanks!  :)

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 01:07:45 PMDon't know any of these. Which should I sample first Andrei?

The Martucci.

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on March 01, 2023, 12:14:14 PMSigismond Thalberg
Henrique Oswald
Isaac Albeniz
Francisco Mignone
Ignacy Jan Paderewski
Reynaldo Hahn
Gabriel Pierné
Jules Massenet
Giuseppe Martucci No. 1
John Field No. 1

Of these, I know the Paderewski, Hahn, Pierné, and Massenet which are inspired choices. The Paderewski has an ineffably beautiful slow movement, and the Massenet has one of the catchiest minor-key finales of any concerto. I only know Martucci's 2nd PC, which is a truly grand work IIRC.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on December 23, 2020, 12:50:07 PML. Anderson
Damase 2
Foulds "Dynamic Triptych"
Garūta
Gipps
Kabalevsky 2
Paderewski
Röntgen 2
Tcherepnin 4 "Fantaisie"
Tveitt 4 "Aurora borealis"

List #2:

Eyvind Alnaes in D major (probably the most gloriously melodic PC I know by anyone, even above Rachmaninoff!!)
William Alwyn no. 2
Einar Englund no. 2
Lukas Foss no. 2
Milosz Magin no. 3
André Mathieu no. 4
Zara Levina no. 2
George Lloyd no. 4
Selim Palmgren no. 2 The River
Emil von Sauer no. 1
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Løvfald on March 02, 2023, 05:20:55 PM+ these:

Bo Linde: Piano Concerto No. 2
Lydia Auster: Piano Concerto No. 1 in G major
Dag Wirén: Piano Concerto, Op. 26
Eduard Franck: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C major
Erwin Schulhoff: Concerto for piano and small orchestra, Op. 43
Samuil Feinberg: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 44
Ildebrando Pizzetti: Canti della stagione alta
William Alwyn: Piano Concerto No. 2
Leo Weiner: Piano Concertino, Op. 15
Zygmunt Stojowski: Piano Concerto No. 2 in A-flat major, Op. 32
Alexis de Castillon: Piano Concerto in D major, Op. 12

Big thumbs up for the Auster, Schulhoff, Pizzetti (what a glorious ending!), Alwyn, and Castillon especially!

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on March 03, 2023, 06:18:48 PMList #2:

Eyvind Alnaes in D major (probably the most gloriously melodic PC I know by anyone, even above Rachmaninoff!!)
William Alwyn no. 2
Einar Englund no. 2
Lukas Foss no. 2
Milosz Magin no. 3
André Mathieu no. 4
Zara Levina no. 2
George Lloyd no. 4
Selim Palmgren no. 2 The River
Emil von Sauer no. 1

+1 on the André Mathieu 4th Piano Concerto in E minor. The "French Canadian Rachmaninov". 😎 I think it is quite the work!