If you had to choose just ONE.

Started by Dave B, November 02, 2023, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 06:22:25 AMWhy do we have a "like" button but no "loath" button!  >:(

I remember when we did!  Do you remember?  Certain posters were downvoted to oblivion no matter what they said.  I've never seen Rob kill a feature so fast!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on November 25, 2023, 07:54:58 AMI remember when we did!  Do you remember?  Certain posters were downvoted to oblivion no matter what they said.  I've never seen Rob kill a feature so fast!

I don't think I was here during that episode.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

San Antone

Quote from: LKB on November 25, 2023, 06:45:27 AMIf you're referring to the EMI recording of the organ version with Ledger & Co., I would most definitely support your choice - it's the only version l've ever owned. Between the atmospheric recording, tonal beauty of Ledger's King's College Choir and the pleading radiance of Dame Janet ( plus the Cello soloist whose name I've regretfully forgotten ), the recording approaches ( imho ) perfection.

Yep, that's the one.   :)

Sergeant Rock

Fauré Pavane

Favorite version: Barenboim conducting the choral version with the Berlin Phil
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

To Gratiana Dancing and Singing by W Denis Browne - another great loss from the First World War:
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=denis%20browne%20graziana%20dancing&mid=4771F0E695407B094C394771F0E695407B094C39&ajaxhist=0
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Henk

An Impromptu by Schubert. Modest choice, but really some very fine music.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

kyjo

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 06:22:25 AMWhy do we have a "like" button but no "loath" button!  >:(

Calm down.... ::)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

Samuel Barber, Second Essay for Orchestra - absolute youth sentiment, 'discovered' when I was 15.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

DavidW

If we had a loath button I would be holding my breath everytime I posted about Pettersson!!

steve ridgway

You just have to note how many people didn't like your post :-X .

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on December 24, 2023, 07:30:20 AMIf we had a loath button I would be holding my breath everytime I posted about Pettersson!!

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot