Cookware - Your favourite kitchen tools

Started by Brahmsian, January 10, 2021, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2021, 04:20:12 AM
True (re ratings).  I suspect that it can also be a case of 'the more buttons and whistles that come with it, the more chances are that something will break/go wrong'.

PD

Yes.  Mine has only one button which is cook.  It is idiot proof.  They even have a scoop and numbers on the pot so you fill the water to the # of scoops you used of ice (only difference is that is for white rice, you have to use a table in the manual for brown rice).

Had I known about the versatility of Ben's pressure cooker though I would have bought that instead.

SonicMan46

Another consideration in the kitchen is work surface and storage.  We have a modest size kitchen which we had renovated in the early 2000s (including all new appliances), but there was no room for a central island - so, I ordered a rolling island kit from HERE (construction took a few hours w/ basic tools) - in the first three pics below - the cart is stored in the corner (had to remove a chair but now mainly a 2-person house) - then rolled out and leaves open for an additional 20" x 40" work surface which is near the gas stove top - virtual doubles the room to work.

Of course, a convenient spice rack is always useful especially near the food prep area - the last pic shown is my third iteration for this space w/ an increase in depth which now holds 60% more spice bottles of small/medium size.  I made this one from ambrosia maple.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 20, 2021, 08:45:17 AM
Another consideration in the kitchen is work surface and storage.  We have a modest size kitchen which we had renovated in the early 2000s (including all new appliances), but there was no room for a central island - so, I ordered a rolling island kit from HERE (construction took a few hours w/ basic tools) - in the first three pics below - the cart is stored in the corner (had to remove a chair but now mainly a 2-person house) - then rolled out and leaves open for an additional 20" x 40" work surface which is near the gas stove top - virtual doubles the room to work.

I like the idea of a collapsible rolling island, Dave. Especially if space is at a premium.