Cookware - Your favourite kitchen tools

Started by Brahmsian, January 10, 2021, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Papy Oli

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 14, 2021, 05:25:43 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Do you think that would work on shredding cabbage (I'm thinking for borscht)?

Also, is it useful for shredding cheese?
Here's a link re cabbage (see the coleslaw recipe)...you can start seeing him using a mandoline starting at about 3 minutes into the video.  https://chefdepot.net/howtouseamandoline.htm  Here is also a link to the manual (Note mine is also metal--no rubber coating on 'feet/base').  https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1864335/Bron-Mandoline.html?page=2#manual

Never tried it for cheese; if grating a lot of cheese, I use a food processor.  I don't think that it would work well.  Has anyone here tried to use it for that?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2021, 12:07:53 PM

This is a German clay pot specially for baking potatoes, they come out wonderfully, I use it for Jersey Royals every April.

My parents have an old clay "bell" to bake potatoes à l'étouffée. I only know it as an old traditional cooking apparatus used in the north of France but i am sure there are other regional or national variations. it has that shape:

in our family, that was known as patates à'l'cloque (Cloque being the Northern patois for la Cloche, the Bell). Not had them since my teenage years but the taste was fabulous.

More info in French here :

https://douaivox.fr/les-patacons-une-recette-pas-si-cloche/
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 05:55:12 AM
My parents have an old clay "bell" to bake potatoes à l'étouffée. I only know it as an old traditional cooking apparatus used in the north of France but i am sure there are other regional or national variations. it has that shape:

in our family, that was known as patates à'l'cloque (Cloque being the Northern patois for la Cloche, the Bell). Not had them since my teenage years but the taste was fabulous.

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 05:37:20 AM
Another vote for "la cocotte Le Creuset" (from the Cerise collection for ours).

Love it. Boeuf bourguignon, Ratatouilles, Lamb couscous, etc... Yummy  :laugh:

Worth the investment (when on discounted sale). Their non-stick bakeware is expensive too but again well worth it if you can snap them discounted too.

Nice!  I haven't tried any of their non-stick bakeware before.

Regarding baking:  I'm a big fan of Silpat.  I have a couple of their silicone mats.  Haven't tried any of their molds...yet!  https://www.amazon.com/Silpat-Premium-Non-Stick-Silicone-Baking/dp/B00008T960/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=XocADgXsue3xtnKklCMaRg&hsa_cr_id=3175403580701&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=ab0123bf-18b5-4c36-8deb-7184ea6df10b&pd_rd_w=OU8W9&pd_rd_wg=osBSs&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img  I'm sure that there are other companies who have come up with something similar by now.

PD

p.s.  I just had breakfast, so I'm not hungry!  :D ;)

p.p.s.  Neat Papy!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Another favorite kitchen item:  a good digital kitchen scale.

Mine is a Soehnle.  Looks somewhat like the silver Roma one (purchased years ago).  The only thing about mine which I wish was easier to switch between is the grams vs. ounces switch. Perhaps they've changed the setup?  https://www.soehnle.de/en/kitchen-scales/digital-kitchen-scales/

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2021, 04:22:39 AM
Another favorite kitchen item:  a good digital kitchen scale.

Mine is a Soehnle.  Looks somewhat like the silver Roma one (purchased years ago).  The only thing about mine which I wish was easier to switch between is the grams vs. ounces switch. Perhaps they've changed the setup?  https://www.soehnle.de/en/kitchen-scales/digital-kitchen-scales/

PD

I was given a digital kitchen scale this past Christmas. First time using it last night.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 16, 2021, 05:07:38 AM
I was given a digital kitchen scale this past Christmas. First time using it last night.  ;D
Your ears must have been burning last night as I almost posted this yesterday!  :laugh: :)

How did you like it and what brand/style was it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2021, 05:30:12 AM
Your ears must have been burning last night as I almost posted this yesterday!  :laugh: :)

How did you like it and what brand/style was it?

PD

It works great. Not something I would necessarily use very often, but sometimes you wish you had one!

It is Pampered Chef. My girlfriend likes to buy a lot of things through Pampered Chef. Very high quality stuff!

She buys the things, but I am the main chef.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 16, 2021, 05:39:48 AM
It works great. Not something I would necessarily use very often, but sometimes you wish you had one!

It is Pampered Chef. My girlfriend likes to buy a lot of things through Pampered Chef. Very high quality stuff!

She buys the things, but I am the main chef.  :D
Nice!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2021, 05:50:57 AM
Nice!  :)

Do you use your digital scale often? More for baking, or cooking, or it's pretty even between the two?

Brahmsian

Wanting to post and ask people what their 10 favourite kitchen food staples are, but not sure whether to post here or in the "What are you eating?" thread?  ;D

I have my list ready to go.  8)

Mandryka

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 16, 2021, 06:16:55 AM
Wanting to post and ask people what their 10 favourite kitchen food staples are,

Negin saffron
Carnaroli rice
Castellucio or Puy lentils
Cirio brand chick peas, cannelini and borlotti beans
San Marzano tomatoes
Terra Creta Estate olive oil
"Just Natural" brand dried organic apricots, walnuts, porridge oats, butter beans, pearl barley. Just Natural inorganic almonds.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

The word étouffoir reminds me of one of my favourite French expressions - étouffe-chrétien.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mandryka on January 16, 2021, 07:41:30 AM
Negin saffron
Carnaroli rice
San Marzano tomatoes
"Just Natural" brand dried organic apricots, walnuts, porridge oats, butter beans, pearl barley. Just Natural inorganic almonds.

Well now that is a much more sophisticated list than my list will be!  :D

I will be trying to utilize San Marzano tomatoes in the future.

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 16, 2021, 06:16:55 AM
Wanting to post and ask people what their 10 favourite kitchen food staples are, but not sure whether to post here or in the "What are you eating?" thread?  ;D

I have my list ready to go.  8)

Onions
Garlic
Fresh thyme
Italian sausage
Homemade vegetable broth
Boneless chicken thighs
Dry white and dry red wine
Fresh dill
Grated parmesan cheese
Gnocchi

Pohjolas Daughter

Do you have your family recipe Olivier?  And who is the current owner of the family bell?  If it's unrealistic for them to lend it to you, perhaps you could find one of your own and have a go at it in the kitchen?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 16, 2021, 05:56:46 AM
Do you use your digital scale often? More for baking, or cooking, or it's pretty even between the two?
Don't use it that often.  Probably about half and half.  Very important for baking (best recipes have it by weight rather than volume), but have been using it more lately when making recipes by Yotam Ottolenghi [allow 3 days for those!  ::)  ;)].  Trust that your scale can be switched between grams and ounces?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on January 16, 2021, 07:41:30 AM
Negin saffron
Carnaroli rice
San Marzano tomatoes
The Terra Creta Estate olive oil sounds nice (looked at their website).  I'm guessing that you use it for making salad dressings or more as a finishing oil (vs. cooking with it)?

San Marzano tomatoes are wonderful though not the easiest to source in my area for 100% authentic SM ones; there are some that used to be labeled as such, but then changed their name/labeling as they come from California....though apparently, they are the same variety as those grown in Italy.  Would be interesting to do a side-by-side blind taste comparison.   :)

Saffron I use but very seldom.

Will have to think of my top staples list...

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian