Cookware - Your favourite kitchen tools

Started by Brahmsian, January 10, 2021, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Brewski on January 10, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
Good topic! I confess that a dutch oven is also my favorite. Though I did splurge, just a little, on my first piece of Le Creuset earlier this year. (They had a sale with everything 50% off, so I couldn't resist.) I'm not familiar with the brand you mention, but am sure it is competitive.

In any case, yes, it's now the star of my kitchen. Most recent use: gumbo for Christmas Day, and a pot of black-eyed peas for New Year's. Soon I'm going to investigate using it for bread.

--Bruce

Love these cast iron pans!  :)

Ours is a similar one by another brand, perhaps less known outside Europe?

Q

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2021, 11:46:46 AM

Q
Staub is well known here in the States.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Que on January 12, 2021, 11:46:46 AM

Q

I see PD was quicker than me.  :D

Yes, Staub is a highly reputable brand!

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

When my mom cooks any large pasta dish (i. e. lasagna, shells w/ cheese, etc.), she swears by this: Calphalon Contemporary multi-pot -

Mandryka

This is a German clay pot specially for baking potatoes, they come out wonderfully, I use it for Jersey Royals every April.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Originally for grinding meat, I use mine for making breadcrumbs with stale bread.

Mandryka

Before COVID I used to buy salt cod from a Portuguese shop, but it's a journey and since March 2019 I've learned to make my own. But after the salting process you need to dry it for a couple of weeks - and I use a lovely butchers hook to impale the fish and hang it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on January 13, 2021, 12:16:16 PM

Before COVID I used to buy salt cod from a Portuguese shop, but it's a journey and since March 2019 I've learned to make my own. But after the salting process you need to dry it for a couple of weeks - and I use a lovely butchers hook to impale the fish and hang it.
Where do you hang it and how much of a mess does it make in terms of liquid dripping down?

The clay pot looks interesting; I haven't used one before...been tempted in the past to buy a tagine.

Like you, I have an (old) heavy duty grinder with several different grinding plates.  Used to use it to make a family stuffing recipe--for grinding the vegetables, fruit, etc. that went into the bread stuffing.  Clever idea of yours to use it for making breadcrumbs!   :)  I normally use either a food processor (or a mini-prep sized one) or a coffee/spice grinder--depending upon the amount I need.  By the way, do you ever freeze breadcrumbs for future use?  Sometimes (if I have a big chunk of leftover baguette or batârd), I'll cube it and then slowly dry it out further in a low and slow oven.  When dry, measure it out (need 4 cups for a favorite bread pudding recipe), and then put it into a ziplock plastic bag and store it in a freezer.  Then, when I'm in the mood for bread pudding, all I have to do is go into my freezer.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 14, 2021, 02:55:02 AM
Where do you hang it and how much of a mess does it make in terms of liquid dripping down?

None. It is dry. You hang it after it has been salted to get it dryer. Recommended if you like Bacalao, it's easy to do and fun. I hang it in a cool spot in the kitchen, a pantry.  I'll try and take a photo later, I've got a couple of pieces in there now. No smell whatsoever, the salting really works.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 14, 2021, 02:55:02 AM
  By the way, do you ever freeze breadcrumbs for future use?  Sometimes (if I have a big chunk of leftover baguette or batârd), I'll cube it and then slowly dry it out further in a low and slow oven.  When dry, measure it out (need 4 cups for a favorite bread pudding recipe), and then put it into a ziplock plastic bag and store it in a freezer.  Then, when I'm in the mood for bread pudding, all I have to do is go into my freezer.  :)

Yes exactly that -- I just put a slip knot on a plastic bag!

Mandryka

I like mashed potatoes, this ricer makes a perfect mash. It doesn't get used often but I'll do it if I'm having a dinner party (beef daube and mash, for example) and people notice the wonderful consistency of the puree.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2021, 04:03:19 AM

I like mashed potatoes, this ricer makes a perfect mash. It doesn't get used often but I'll do it if I'm having a dinner party (beef daube and mash, for example) and people notice the wonderful consistency of the puree.

Interesting! At first, I thought it was a garlic press.

Cooking tip: If you need to peel a lot of garlic cloves, chop the ends off each clove, and plop all the cloves into a medium or large sized glass container (like an empty pickle jar), and shake for about 20 seconds. Voilà.

DaveF

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 14, 2021, 04:14:11 AM

Yes, my initial thought too, speaking of which: does anyone have a really good garlic press?  I'm fed up of those feeble ones that manage to crush out about half of the inside of a clove, while leaving behind a sort of skin blocking the holes.  Not the dry outside skin, which I've already peeled off, but a soft skin of which you're hardly aware when chopping a clove, but which substandard presses seem unable to deal with.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Brahmsian

Quote from: DaveF on January 14, 2021, 04:20:29 AM
Yes, my initial thought too, speaking of which: does anyone have a really good garlic press?  I'm fed up of those feeble ones that manage to crush out about half of the inside of a clove, while leaving behind a sort of skin blocking the holes.  Not the dry outside skin, which I've already peeled off, but a soft skin of which you're hardly aware when chopping a clove, but which substandard presses seem unable to deal with.

I wish I had the answer, Dave. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect garlic press, but it hasn't been invented yet.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2021, 04:00:16 AM
None. It is dry. You hang it after it has been salted to get it dryer. Recommended if you like Bacalao, it's easy to do and fun. I hang it in a cool spot in the kitchen, a pantry.  I'll try and take a photo later, I've got a couple of pieces in there now. No smell whatsoever, the salting really works.

Yes exactly that -- I just put a slip knot on a plastic bag!
Ah, great minds think alike!  :D ;)

Don't believe that I've ever had salted cod in anything before?  Will have to look into it more.  :)
Quote from: Mandryka on January 14, 2021, 04:03:19 AM

I like my ricer too.  The one that I own was made by Cuispro and comes with 3 different discs.  I believe that I've only ever used the one with the smallest holes before though.  Like you, it helps to make great mashed potatoes.  I've sometimes also used it for making things like carrot mash or turnip mash (or a combo of potatoes and turnips).  Do you use yours for other things too?  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisipro-reg-stainless-steel-potato-ricer/1012307667/

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 14, 2021, 04:14:11 AM

Cooking tip: If you need to peel a lot of garlic cloves, chop the ends off each clove, and plop all the cloves into a medium or large sized glass container (like an empty pickle jar), and shake for about 20 seconds. Voilà.
Nice idea!  I'll give it a try.  I've used garlic presses in the past, but found that they were a so-and-so to use; very hard on the hands--at least with the press that I have.  I normally just mince it/them by hand.  Plus it also seems like you waste a fair bit of the garlic (sticks to the press)...same thing re using a micro grater.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

A couple of other favorites of mine:

A Bron mandoline:  https://www.amazon.com/Bron-Coucke-Stainless-Mandoline-20638CHB/dp/B0001BMZ38

Great for slicing and shredding--particularly when you are doing smaller amounts and don't feel like hauling out the food processor (and then hand washing it afterwards!  ::) ).

Also, my Mouli (Moulinex Food Mill):  great for making things like applesauce (don't need to bother peeling the apples) and tomato sauce.  Comes with three different graters/discs.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/moulinex-food-mill/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 14, 2021, 05:11:41 AM
A couple of other favorites of mine:

A Bron mandoline:  https://www.amazon.com/Bron-Coucke-Stainless-Mandoline-20638CHB/dp/B0001BMZ38

Great for slicing and shredding--particularly when you are doing smaller amounts and don't feel like hauling out the food processor (and then hand washing it afterwards!  ::) ).

Hmmm, interesting. Do you think that would work on shredding cabbage (I'm thinking for borscht)?

Also, is it useful for shredding cheese?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 14, 2021, 05:11:41 AM

Also, my Mouli (Moulinex Food Mill):  great for making things like applesauce (don't need to bother peeling the apples) and tomato sauce.  Comes with three different graters/discs.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/moulinex-food-mill/

PD

Umm, this is going on my next year's Christmas list!  ;D I can most definitely see myself using this.

Papy Oli

Another vote for "la cocotte Le Creuset" (from the Cerise collection for ours).

Love it. Boeuf bourguignon, Ratatouilles, Lamb couscous, etc... Yummy  :laugh:

Worth the investment (when on discounted sale). Their non-stick bakeware is expensive too but again well worth it if you can snap them discounted too.

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 14, 2021, 05:37:20 AM
Another vote for "la cocotte Le Creuset" (from the Cerise collection for ours).

Love it. Boeuf bourguignon, Ratatouilles, Lamb couscous, etc... Yummy  :laugh:

Maintenant, j'ai faim, Olivier!  8)