Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

As the title "Egypta" piqued my curiosity, I quickly found out that Chenery's magnum opus wasn't the only exotic production with that name. Possibly, choreographer Ruth St. Denis may have been inspired by it ....????

Ruth St.Denis in her 1910 version of "Egypta"

Szykneij

And Ruth St. Denis' production was reperformed (adapted?) in 1995 by Laurel Victoria Gray.

http://www.egypta.org/about-egypta.html
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Fun to read your postings!  I used to collect ephemera, but haven't purchased anything new in the past few years.  I have some old postcards (all blank I believe)...a combo of opera singers...trying to remember whether or not I've purchased any of old opera houses?  I remember looking at some in the past.

PD

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 12, 2021, 07:14:18 AM
Fun to read your postings!  I used to collect ephemera, but haven't purchased anything new in the past few years.  I have some old postcards (all blank I believe)...a combo of opera singers...trying to remember whether or not I've purchased any of old opera houses?  I remember looking at some in the past.

PD

I'm glad you enjoy them!

One of my favorite threads before my posting hiatus was "Old Instruments and Modern Reproductions". I was going to post this postcard there, but that thread was locked for some reason, so here it is. It was posted in 1925 from Marienbad, Czechoslovakia.

I also found the information below. It appears Hans Haubner was an inventor as well as a dealer in string instruments of all kinds.

H. HAUBNER TUNING PEG FOE STBINGED INSTRUMENTS.

APPLICATION FILED JULY 25 1907.

Patented Apr. 20, 1909.

HANS HAUBNER, OF MARIENBAD, AUSTRIA-HUNGARY.

TUNING-PEG FOR STRENGED INSTRU'MENTS

Specification of Letters Patent Application filed July 25, 1907.

Patented April 20, 1209.

Serial No. 385,563.

To all whom it may concern:

7 Be it known that l, Hans HAUBNER, a subject of the Emperor of Austria-H ingary, rcsiding at Marienbad, Bohemia, Austria-flungary, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in 'luningfegs l'or Stringed Instruments; and I do hereby declare the ro llowing to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

Here is the reverse:

Szykneij

*This day in music history*
January 12, 1723
George Frideric Handel's opera "Ottone" premieres at the Kings Theatre, London.

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
January 13, 1882
Richard Wagner completes his opera, "Parsifal"

The new erato

Very fine idea for a thread. Hope you can keep up posting!

Szykneij

Quote from: The new erato on January 13, 2021, 04:23:13 AM
Very fine idea for a thread. Hope you can keep up posting!

Thanks!
Much more to come.

Gurn Blanston

Tony, I unlocked that thread. I haven't the vaguest idea why it was locked, I read the last 20 posts or so and there is not even a whiff of anything untoward there. Actually, I'm glad you pointed out the anomaly, I always enjoyed that thread.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Szykneij

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2021, 06:18:47 AM
Tony, I unlocked that thread. I haven't the vaguest idea why it was locked, I read the last 20 posts or so and there is not even a whiff of anything untoward there. Actually, I'm glad you pointed out the anomaly, I always enjoyed that thread.

8)

Awesome!

Szykneij

This envelope was mailed to the Metropolitan Opera in 1953. The special delivery rate at the time was 20-cents plus 3-cents for regular postage, so there was 5-cents postage due. (Normally, a 3-cent stamp plus a 20-cent special delivery stamp would be used.) Special Delivery service in the U.S. was discontinued in 1997 after the introduction of Express and Priority mail.

One has to wonder what important enclosure this envelope contained from a colonel in the United States Navy. I was able to locate some info about our Colonel Lenart in a 1935 edition of The New York Guardsman.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 13, 2021, 07:44:04 AM
This envelope was mailed to the Metropolitan Opera in 1953. The special delivery rate at the time was 20-cents plus 3-cents for regular postage, so there was 5-cents postage due. (Normally, a 3-cent stamp plus a 20-cent special delivery stamp would be used.) Special Delivery service in the U.S. was discontinued in 1997 after the introduction of Express and Priority mail.

One has to wonder what important enclosure this envelope contained from a colonel in the United States Navy. I was able to locate some info about our Colonel Lenart in a 1935 edition of The New York Guardsman.
Perhaps trying to get ahold of some last-minute tickets for a superior officer and/or a visiting dignitary?

MusicTurner

I'd think all such stuff isn't that easy to find ...

Do you get it from a variety of sources?

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 13, 2021, 07:54:11 AM
Perhaps trying to get ahold of some last-minute tickets for a superior officer and/or a visiting dignitary?

Yes, that sounds like a likely possibility.

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 13, 2021, 07:58:38 AM
I'd think all such stuff isn't that easy to find ...

Do you get it from a variety of sources?

Yes, a variety of sources over a large number of years, but not all that difficult to find if you keep your eyes open. Because it's not all that valuable monetarily, it's usually in with large lots of papers and correspondence in antique shops or stamp dealer bourses. (It also helps if you work for some of the larger stamp and collectible firms as I did in my younger years.)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 13, 2021, 09:16:23 AM
Yes, a variety of sources over a large number of years, but not all that difficult to find if you keep your eyes open. Because it's not all that valuable monetarily, it's usually in with large lots of papers and correspondence in antique shops or stamp dealer bourses. (It also helps if you work for some of the larger stamp and collectible firms as I did in my younger years.)
Ephemera shows are fun to attend and can yield all kinds of goodies.  Do you go to philatelic shows?

PD

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on January 13, 2021, 09:16:23 AM

It sounds like great fun :)

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 13, 2021, 09:30:39 AM
Ephemera shows are fun to attend and can yield all kinds of goodies.  Do you go to philatelic shows?

PD

I haven't gone in a while, but I think once this Covid craziness is over, it would be fun to start again.

Szykneij

These are tickets to the New York Grand Conservatory of Music commencement exercises of 1900. Apparently, Mabel wasn't able to attend.