Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Quote from: Florestan on April 15, 2021, 11:49:44 AM
A very nice and extremely informative thread, Tony, thank you.

I'm curious: how many stamps do you own? As a kid I collected stamps too, though music was not my interest back then. I should still have my stamp albums somewhere, must look for them.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Most of my career was in education, but there were years I spent in the collectibles business. When I first graduated from college, music teaching jobs were hard to come by, so I got into that field. In addition to music at the time, I enjoyed collecting stamps, so I got a job with one of the major stamp firms. I subsequently worked for a couple of others and was a dealer on my own for a while. I learned more about history and geography from those jobs than from anywhere else.
My main area of interest now is in postal history, collecting items dealing with music and my home town. Definitely try to find your old albums. They'll bring back memories and possibly rekindle an interest in a hobby that has waned in overall popularity over recent years.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History"
April 16, 1854
Franz Liszt's symphonic poem "Mazeppa" premieres

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
April 17, 1568
Christophe Thomas Walliser, French composer, born in Strasbourg, France (d. 1648)

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on April 17, 2021, 07:29:00 AM
Walliser : a rare, unknown composer, for sure!

Lovely.

Some dates definitely require deeper digging than others!

The YouTube caption to the video you posted mentioned "Walliser's father-in-law was actually the publisher, though Cum natus is delightful, and certainly deserved to be there alongside works by Gabrieli, Marenzio, Hassler, and others".

A beautiful composition, and great to see it still being performed more than 450 years later!

Szykneij

April 18, 1819
Franz von Suppé, born in Spalato, Dalmatia, Austrian Empire (d. 1895)

Szykneij

April 19, 1774
Christoph Willibald Gluck's opera "Iphigenia in Aulis" premieres in Paris

Szykneij

April 20, 1759
George Frideric Handel is buried in Westminster Abbey, London

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History+
April 21, 1780
Ferdinand Zellbell the younger, Swedish composer and co-founder of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music, dies at 60

Szykneij

April 22, 1916
Yehudi Menuhin, American-British violinist, conductor and teacher, born in NYC, New York (d. 1999)

Szykneij

April 23, 1939
First performance of Béla Bartok's 2nd Concerto for violin

Szykneij

April 24, 1801
First performance of Haydn's oratorio "Die Jahreszeiten"

pjme

Ferdinand Zellbell the younger, turns out to be another rare and (for me) completely unknown composer.
https://www.swedishmusicalheritage.com/composers/zellbell-ferdinand/

There are some Swedish recordings, very elegant music!

https://www.youtube.com/v/EwkYUpVjwa8

Szykneij

April 25, 1926
Giacomo Puccini's opera "Turandot" premieres in Milan

Szykneij

April 26, 1835
Frederic Chopin's "Grand Polonaise Brillante" premieres in Paris

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History"
April 27, 1810
Ludwig van Beethoven composes "Für Elise.

Szykneij

Need to list a few days in advance this morning:

*This Week in Music History"
April 28, 1892 - 1st performance of Antonín Dvořák's overture "Carnival Overture"
April 29, 1879 - Thomas Beecham born in St Helens, Lancashire (d. 1961)
              1895 - Malcolm Sargent born in Bath Villas, Ashford, Kent (d. 1967)
April 30, 1902 - Claude Debussy's opera "Pelléas et Mélisande" premieres in Paris
May 1, 1786 - Mozart's opera "Marriage of Figaro" premieres in Vienna with the composer conducting
May 2, 1660 - Alessandro Scarlatti born in Palermo, Sicily (d. 1725
)

Szykneij

May 3, 1917
1st performance of Ernest Bloch's symphony "Israel"

Szykneij

May 4, 1878
Thomas Edison's Phonograph shown for first time at Grand Opera House, San Francisco.

Szykneij

May 5,1891
Music Hall (Carnegie Hall) opens in New York, Tchaikovsky is guest conductor