Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Listed among the distinguished faculty members were Adrian Boult, Herbert von Karajan, and Bruno Walter.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
January 26, 1790

Mozart's "Cosi Fan Tutte" premieres in Vienna

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

MusicTurner

A tiny remark, but the stamp below shows The Magic Flute, cf. title in Hungarian (I once had a Hungarian LP version) ... :)

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 26, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
A tiny remark, but the stamp below shows The Magic Flute, cf. title in Hungarian (I once had a Hungarian LP version) ... :)

Yes, I had trouble finding a Cosi Fan Tutte stamp, so that was as close as I could get.

Thanks for the comment. I'm enjoying posting these things, but it's not the kind of thread that would generate much discussion. Good to know someone is looking!  :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on January 26, 2021, 12:22:15 PM
Yes, I had trouble finding a Cosi Fan Tutte stamp, so that was as close as I could get.

Thanks for the comment. I'm enjoying posting these things, but it's not the kind of thread that would generate much discussion. Good to know someone is looking!  :)

It's nice & I've decided to take an extra look at old envelopes etc. when later frequenting our local flea markets and bric-a-bracs  :)

pjme

:) The variations in style, colours and design are well worth discovering I'm curious what else will show up.

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 26, 2021, 12:25:32 PM
It's nice & I've decided to take an extra look at old envelopes etc. when later frequenting our local flea markets and bric-a-bracs  :)

It's worth keeping your eyes open. There are a lot of things to find that aren't monetarily valuable, but have significant historical interest. Not music related, but I did come across the bottom of a naval requisition among a bunch of papers in a Cape Cod antique shop that was signed by George Dewey before he became Admiral of the U.S. Navy The date is missing, but his title at the time was "commodore", so it had to be from between 1896 and 1903.

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on January 26, 2021, 12:44:11 PM
:) The variations in style, colours and design are well worth discovering I'm curious what else will show up.

Yes, many stamps are miniature works of art -- especially those that were printed from beautifully engraved plates from years ago.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on January 26, 2021, 12:55:48 PM
It's worth keeping your eyes open. There are a lot of things to find that aren't monetarily valuable, but have significant historical interest. Not music related, but I did come across the bottom of a naval requisition among a bunch of papers in a Cape Cod antique shop that was signed by George Dewey before he became Admiral of the U.S. Navy The date is missing, but his title at the time was "commodore", so it had to be from between 1896 and 1903.

Yes, from my collecting of other stuff I know that one of the tricks is to have to some specialized knowledge & then one will discover details, that many people will totally overlook ... maybe not of any monetary value, or maybe perhaps of some monetary value; but certainly of historical or anecdotal interest, at least.

Mirror Image

Pretty interesting: stamps of Arnie and Alban!

Pohjolas Daughter

Do you think that the quality of the stamps--in terms of artwork, engraving and paper quality, ink used, etc., have diminished over the years?  If so, starting when?

On the flip side, any 'newish' stamps that you really love?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 07:49:02 PM
Pretty interesting: stamps of Arnie and Alban!

Yes, Austria is highly-respected in the philatelic world for issuing country-related themed stamps, and in the area of music, there is a wealth of possibilities.
Here are some lesser-know composers/musicians honored on Austrian postage stamps:

Thomas Koschat, Edmund Eysler, Leo Slezak, Leo Ascher, Franz Schmidt, and Carl Michael Ziehrer.

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 03:37:25 AM
Do you think that the quality of the stamps--in terms of artwork, engraving and paper quality, ink used, etc., have diminished over the years?  If so, starting when?

On the flip side, any 'newish' stamps that you really love?

PD

Back when I was involved in the field (early 1990s), the number of postage stamps ever issued required a 4 volume catalog to list with about 1,000 pages per volume. Today, it has expanded to 12 volumes! The number of different stamps countries produce each year has increased dramatically and, while some are still very well done, overall I think the quality has diminished greatly. Now that stamps are mostly self-adhesive and those used on mail rarely get cancelled, they're not as interesting either.

I'm not up-to-date at all on recent stamps. This is one of my favorite of all time - issued for Franz Liszt in 1934.

Szykneij

January 27, 1778
Niccolo Piccinni's opera "Roland" premieres in Paris

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 27, 2021, 04:10:52 AM
Yes, Austria is highly-respected in the philatelic world for issuing country-related themed stamps, and in the area of music, there is a wealth of possibilities.
Here are some lesser-know composers/musicians honored on Austrian postage stamps:

Thomas Koschat, Edmund Eysler, Leo Slezak, Leo Ascher, Franz Schmidt, and Carl Michael Ziehrer.
Nice!
Quote from: Szykneij on January 26, 2021, 12:58:16 PM
Yes, many stamps are miniature works of art -- especially those that were printed from beautifully engraved plates from years ago.
Yes, I love the engraved ones.

Quote from: Szykneij on January 27, 2021, 04:23:33 AM
Back when I was involved in the field (early 1990s), the number of postage stamps ever issued required a 4 volume catalog to list with about 1,000 pages per volume. Today, it has expanded to 12 volumes! The number of different stamps countries produce each year has increased dramatically and, while some are still very well done, overall I think the quality has diminished greatly. Now that stamps are mostly self-adhesive and those used on mail rarely get cancelled, they're not as interesting either.

I'm not up-to-date at all on recent stamps. This is one of my favorite of all time - issued for Franz Liszt in 1934.
Wow!  That's a lot of catalogues!  And like the Liszt!

And, yes, like you, I tend to be more fascinated with older things--like prints (engravings, lithographs, etchings, woodblock prints--Ukiyo-e, etc.) and their stories (though I have also collected some contemporary work too).  :)  I've also collected some opera ephemera too (think that I might have mentioned that earlier?).
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2021, 05:13:06 AM
And, yes, like you, I tend to be more fascinated with older things--like prints (engravings, lithographs, etchings, woodblock prints--Ukiyo-e, etc.) and their stories (though I have also collected some contemporary work too).  :)  I've also collected some opera ephemera too (think that I might have mentioned that earlier?).

Post some here. I'd like to see them!

I also changed the title of the thread to be more encompassing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Szykneij on January 27, 2021, 04:10:52 AM

Very cool! 8)

Szykneij

May Beegle (October 23, 1882 – December 8, 1943) was an American concert promoter known as the "dean of Pittsburgh impresarios."

She brought outstanding international musicians to Pittsburgh for 28 years from 1913 through 1944, such as Enrico Caruso, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Ignace Jan Paderewski, Yehudi Menuhin, Fritz Kreisler, Arturo Toscanini & the NBC Symphony Orchestra, and Arthur Fielder & the Boston Pops.

Szykneij

Szykneij

January 28, 1936

Pravda criticizes Dmitri Shostakovich's opera "Lady Macbeth"