Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
January 29, 1954
Arnold Schoenberg's "De Profundis" premieres in Cologne

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

January 30, 1940

Benjamin Britten's "Les Illuminations" premieres in London

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

The Schubert Club of St. Paul, Minnesota, presented its first public recital in 1893 and  "is today one of the nation's most vibrant music organizations, enriching Minnesota with dynamic concerts, music education programs and museum exhibits."

During World War I, The Schubert Club added a War Services Committee to its operations. The efforts of this committee included distribution of the "Music Will Help Win the War" stamps. It appears these particular seals were issued to club violinist Anthony D. Grosso on November 27, 1918 – after the German surrender on November 11th, but before the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

ritter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 30, 2021, 03:17:13 AM
January 30, 1940

Benjamin Britten's "Lesson Illuminations" premieres in London

Great thread, always interesting!...But I think autocorrect has played some games in the post above   ;).

Regards,

Szykneij

Thanks!  :P

Fixed.

Glad you find these things of interest.

Iota

Really enjoyed reading through this thread.  :)

Particularly liked unexpectedly coming across the various stamp entries. I *loved* stamp collecting as a child, a passion initiated by my grandfather who sent me first day covers every time a new issue came out. Sadly the enthusiasm was eclipsed by lure of the opposite sex and music as my teens approached, but I still get a frisson of the magic I used to feel when I see some images (.. and a strange pang for how much simpler life was back then).

Lovely one of Britten above, but really enjoyed seeing all of them. Intrigued by and enjoyed reading many of the other entries too, a really interesting thread, thanks for setting it up. 

Szykneij

Quote from: Iota on January 30, 2021, 10:17:59 AM
Really enjoyed reading through this thread.  :)

Particularly liked unexpectedly coming across the various stamp entries. I *loved* stamp collecting as a child, a passion initiated by my grandfather who sent me first day covers every time a new issue came out. Sadly the enthusiasm was eclipsed by lure of the opposite sex and music as my teens approached, but I still get a frisson of the magic I used to feel when I see some images (.. and a strange pang for how much simpler life was back then).

Lovely one of Britten above, but really enjoyed seeing all of them. Intrigued by and enjoyed reading many of the other entries too, a really interesting thread, thanks for setting it up.

I'm glad you enjoyed! Not too late to rekindle that stamp collecting passion! I'm excited to be able to combine it with my love of music.

A third passion is gardening, so it's probably good that the winter temps around here in New England lately have been in the single digits (F) with snow on the ground, or I'd probably be out with the shovel and clippers.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 30, 2021, 12:03:36 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed! Not too late to rekindle that stamp collecting passion! I'm excited to be able to combine it with my love of music.

A third passion is gardening, so it's probably good that the winter temps around here in New England lately have been in the single digits (F) with snow on the ground, or I'd probably be out with the shovel and clippers.
Hey!  Another gardener here!  Yippee!  ;D  So, you'll have to tell us (in the gardening thread) what you like to grow.  :)

PD

p.s.  And yes, like Iota, I'm enjoying your posts!
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 30, 2021, 12:51:26 PM
Hey!  Another gardener here!  Yippee!  ;D  So, you'll have to tell us (in the gardening thread) what you like to grow.  :)

PD

p.s.  And yes, like Iota, I'm enjoying yours posts!

Oh, there is a gardening thread? Interesting! It is more my girlfriend's thing, as far as the flower gardening goes. I'm more interested in the tomato and herbs garden.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 30, 2021, 01:01:31 PM
Oh, there is a gardening thread? Interesting! It is more my girlfriend's thing, as far as the flower gardening goes. I'm more interested in the tomato and herbs garden.  ;D
It's called "The GMG Green Thumb Club" I believe (under Diner).  And it's not just about flower gardening, but gardening in general.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 30, 2021, 01:07:18 PM
It's called "The GMG Green Thumb Club" I believe (under Diner).  And it's not just about flower gardening, but gardening in general.

PD

Cool, thank you PD! For me in Winnipeg, still some time to wait. Gardening doesn't really start until late May.  :D

Szykneij

January 31, 1679
Jean-Baptiste Lully's opera "Bellerophon" premieres at the Palais-Royal in Paris

Szykneij

This postcard picturing the Leipzig Conservatory of Music was mailed in 1905 to a Harry Zehm at Elizabeth College in North Carolina. The school was a women's educational institution founded in 1897 that later moved to Virginia in 1915.

Some research reveals that Herr Zehm was a musical director, organist, composer, and teacher at the college. Due to the great skill he exhibited playing the organ at an early age, his father took him at the age of 17 to study abroad for six years. A portion of that time was spent at Leipzig. Perhaps acquaintances he made during his stay were the senders of the postcard.

Szykneij

These are screenshots from what was possibly a newsprint biography and from the 1905 yearbook "The Elizabethan".

Szykneij

February 1, 1893

Giacomo Puccini's opera "Manon Lescaut" premieres in Turin

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 01, 2021, 04:29:59 AM
February 1, 1893

Giacomo Puccini's opera "Manon Lescaut" premieres in Turin

Puccini! ❤️❤️❤️ 😀

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

February 2, 1731

George Frideric Handel's opera "Poro" premieres in London

And Happy Ground Hog Day!

Szykneij

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P94DN0EVfQI&feature=youtu.be

Jack Fina was a big band leader during the 1940s and 1950s, but was classically trained and had great chops. He was born in New Jersey and was educated at the New York College of Music. Unfortunately, he died young of a heart attack at the age of 56 while playing a gig at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Although Liberace was probably better known for it thanks to his television show exposure, it was Fina who turned Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee" into "The Bumble Boogie". See the link!

Iota

Quote from: Szykneij on January 30, 2021, 12:03:36 PM

Never say never etc, but I think it will probably remain a fond memory now, I'm not really a natural collector (probably placing me firmly in a minority on this site!). But am enjoying your enthusiasm for all this ephemera, which has sparked off some pleasant connections.  :)

Szykneij

February 3, 1844

Hector Berlioz's "Carnaval Romain" premieres in Paris