Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Today, if we want to get information about a piece of music we're listening to, we can just grab our smart phone and google. Listeners in 1941 (possibly using their Amrad system) didn't have that luxury, but they did have the "Music Lovers Handy Dial"! Keep this dial in a handy spot near your radio ... to get important facts about the great composers as you listen. Whoever owned my Handy Dial must have been a real opera buff due to the significant wear on that side.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
February 10, 1881

Jacques Offenbach's opera "Les Contes d'Hoffman" premieres in Paris

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

This Day in Music History*
February 11, 1903

Anton Bruckner's 9th Symphony premieres in Vienna

Szykneij

February 12, 1924

George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" premieres at the Aeolian Hall, New York City

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 12, 2021, 03:12:35 AM
February 12, 1924

George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" premieres at the Aeolian Hall, New York City

Love the envelope and stamp!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

February 13, 1914
American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP) founded at Hotel Claridge in NYC

Szykneij

February 14, 1670
Georg Gabriel Schutz, German composer, born in Nuremberg, Germany (d. 1716)

Szykneij

February 15, 1686

Jean Baptiste Lully's opera "Armide" premieres in Paris

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on February 15, 2021, 04:14:13 AM
February 15, 1686

Jean Baptiste Lully's opera "Armide" premieres in Paris

That's a bit funny, a spelling of his name quite rarely seen, and the French postal services even using his original, Italian name ... ?! :)

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 15, 2021, 04:44:08 AM
That's a bit funny, a spelling of his name quite rarely seen, and the French postal services even using his original, Italian name ... ?! :)

Yes, he was born Giovanni Battista Lulli. I thought that, perhaps, the spelling that was used had something to do with the original artwork reproduced on the stamp, but I couldn't find any background on it. The stamp is part of a set issued in 1956 to commemorate "famous men who lived in France" and includes Benjamin Franklin. Each stamp of the set bears a different name on the lower right, which I assume credits the artist.  The Lully stamp reads "Mazelim" which doesn't help much.

pjme

Here is Charles Mazelin!

Charles Mazelin, né Charles Firmin Mazelin le 14 février 1882 à Elbeuf et mort le 21 août 1968 dans le 15e arrondissement de Paris, est un dessinateur et graveur de timbre français

So, indeed, mr.Mazelin is a stamp designer and engraver. He looks Tres French, with the "beret alpin'!!

https://www.timbres-de-france.com/collection/graveurs/mazelin.php

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on February 15, 2021, 06:11:28 AM
Here is Charles Mazelin!

So, indeed, mr.Mazelin is a stamp designer and engraver. He looks Tres French, with the "beret alpin'!!

https://www.timbres-de-france.com/collection/graveurs/mazelin.php

Great find!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on February 15, 2021, 05:58:23 AM
Yes, he was born Giovanni Battista Lulli. I thought that, perhaps, the spelling that was used had something to do with the original artwork reproduced on the stamp, but I couldn't find any background on it. The stamp is part of a set issued in 1956 to commemorate "famous men who lived in France" and includes Benjamin Franklin. Each stamp of the set bears a different name on the lower right, which I assume credits the artist.  The Lully stamp reads "Mazelim" which doesn't help much.

Still, the series theme probably explains it.

Likely based on this portrait:

Szykneij

February 16, 1854

Franz Liszt's symphonic poem "Orpheus" premieres. It was conducted by the composer as an introduction to the first Weimar performance of Christoph Willibald Gluck's opera, Orfeo ed Euridice.

Szykneij

The original Russian Choir of the Ural Cossacks Regiment was discontinued in 1917, but was re-established at Paris in 1924. This postcard was mailed from Germany in 1929 with the writer reporting she saw the Ural Cossacks Choir perform at Schleiz the night before. Today, the group is still active and has been based in the Netherlands since 1974.

Szykneij

February 17, 1904

Giacomo Puccini's opera "Madame Butterfly" premieres in Milan

Szykneij

February 18, 1902

Jules Massenet's opera "Le jongleur de Notre-Dame" premieres in Monte Carlo at the Opéra Garnier

pjme

Jean Antonin Delzers, né le 17 août 1873 à Castelsarrasin et mort en 1943, est un dessinateur, graveur de timbres et enseignant français. (designer, engraver and teacher)

I'm  not a stamp collector (my grandfather was), so I didn't know that French "timbres poste" mentioned the designer/engraver.

Paul-Pierre Lemagny is another designer, but not an engraver.

Szykneij

February 19, 1923
Jean Sibelius' 6th Symphony premiered by the Helsinki  Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by the composer.

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2021, 01:06:03 AM
Jean Antonin Delzers, né le 17 août 1873 à Castelsarrasin et mort en 1943, est un dessinateur, graveur de timbres et enseignant français. (designer, engraver and teacher)

I'm  not a stamp collector (my grandfather was), so I didn't know that French "timbres poste" mentioned the designer/engraver.

Paul-Pierre Lemagny is another designer, but not an engraver.

The stamps of France are among those most respected by collectors for their design, production quality, and subject matter. The engravers had great skill and artistic ability.

Is your grandfather's collection still around? He must have had some interesting items.