Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 18, 2021, 03:29:00 AM
*This Day in Music History*
February 18, 1902

Jules Massenet's opera "Le jongleur de Notre-Dame" premieres in Monte Carlo at the Opéra Garnier

I can't read/see the abbreviations next to the names very well.  May I ask what they are and what they mean?  Also, if the designer and engraver were two different people, was there a standard as to which side of the stamp that their names appear?

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2021, 01:06:03 AM
Jean Antonin Delzers, né le 17 août 1873 à Castelsarrasin et mort en 1943, est un dessinateur, graveur de timbres et enseignant français. (designer, engraver and teacher)

I'm  not a stamp collector (my grandfather was), so I didn't know that French "timbres poste" mentioned the designer/engraver.

Paul-Pierre Lemagny is another designer, but not an engraver.
I didn't either!

Quote from: Szykneij on February 19, 2021, 04:02:11 AM

February 19, 1923
Jean Sibelius' 6th Symphony premiered by the Helsinki  Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by the composer.

Love the Sibelius one!  Is this from your own collection?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 19, 2021, 04:29:50 AM
I can't read/see the abbreviations next to the names very well.  May I ask what they are and what they mean?  Also, if the designer and engraver were two different people, was there a standard as to which side of the stamp that their names appear?

Love the Sibelius one!  Is this from your own collection?

PD

There was and are no standards as to what should appear on stamps, other than the country name. Great Britain is the only nation not required to print its name because it was the first ever to issue stamps. The French postal authorities apparently thought highly enough of their designers and engravers to include their names on postal issues, which most countries don't.

Most pictures I post are from my own collection, although I occasionally need to snag something online when I can't find an appropriate image for a "This Day in Music History" post. The Sibelius cover is an envelope I own.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

pjme

Quote from: Szykneij on February 19, 2021, 04:05:33 AM
The stamps of France are among those most respected by collectors for their design, production quality, and subject matter. The engravers had great skill and artistic ability.

Is your grandfather's collection still around? He must have had some interesting items.

At the moment I cannot remember where the collection went. Probably with one of my brothers. I'll ask. But grandfather died in the mid sixties...so, much has changed since then.

Szykneij

February 20, 1724

George Frideric Handel's opera "Giulio Cesare in Egitto" premieres at the King's Theatre in Haymarket, London

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

February 21, 1911
Gustav Mahler conducts his last concert, an all Italian program, at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

Szykneij

February 22, 1749
Birth of Johann Nikolaus Forkel, German musicologist and first biographer of Johann Sebastian Bach

Szykneij

This Day in Music History*
February 23, 1886
Tchaikovsky's "Manfred" symphony premieres in Moscow.

Szykneij

This undated postcard featuring a young Thomas Beecham was produced before he became Sir Thomas Beecham in 1916. The photograph was taken by Dover Street Studios, one of the leading firms of its day to specialize in theatrical portraiture and active between 1906 and 1912. The Augener Ltd.  Company that distributed the card was a music publishing firm founded in 1855 as "Augener and Company", changing its name to Augener Ltd. after a 1904 business merger.

Szykneij

February 24, 1939
Roy Harris' 3rd Symphony premieres in Boston

Szykneij

February 25, 1911
Victor Herbert's opera "Natoma" premieres at the Metropolitan Opera House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

pjme

Wow! "Natoma" - "probably the biggest flop of all time"!! ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natoma_(opera)

More at : https://www.allmusic.com/composition/natoma-opera-in-3-acts-mc0002361876?cmpredirect
But how does it sound?
The "Dagger dance" from Natoma : https://youtu.be/u6F4yzuHJk0
Risë Stevens sings in 1959 "Beware of a hawk, my baby" : https://youtu.be/yqiDylC-_Ws
Prelude to act 3: https://youtu.be/nMlo-4ibV8Y (Feroce - Maestoso e patetico - Largamente grandioso!)

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on February 25, 2021, 05:22:38 AM
Wow! "Natoma" - "probably the biggest flop of all time"!! ;D

I guess Santa Barbara was a better setting for a soap opera than for a real opera!  :)

Szykneij

The "Dagger dance" from Natoma : https://youtu.be/u6F4yzuHJk0

It's really hard to tell one pentatonic composition with a Native American theme from another.

An interesting note from this video, though, is that the album cover lists George Liberace as one of the performers. George was an orchestra leader and the famous Liberace's "my brother George", frequently mentioned on the pianist's TV show.

Satirized here by Bugs himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7NZza-C-AY

Szykneij

February 26, 1770

Giuseppe Tartini, Venetian Baroque composer and violinist (Trillo del Diavolo), dies at 77.

Szykneij

.*This Day in Music History*
February 27, 1814

Ludwig van Beethoven's 8th Symphony in F premieres in a concert at Vienna that also included his Seventh Symphony and "Wellington's Victory".

Szykneij

February 28, 1819

First public performance of Franz Schubert's "Schäfers Klagelied".

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History"
March 1, 1810   
1810 Frederic Chopin, Polish-French pianist and composer (Concert in F Minor), born in Żelazowa Wola, Duchy of Warsaw (d. 1849)

.. and, if this was a leap year

February 29, 1836
Giacomo Meyerbeer's opera "Les Huguenots," premieres in Paris

Szykneij

March 2, 1969
Dmitri Shostakovich completes his 14th Symphony

Szykneij

March 3, 1875

Georges Bizet's opera "Carmen" premieres in Paris

Szykneij

March 4, 1877

Tchaikovsky's ballet "Swan Lake" has its world premiere, performed by the Bolshoi Ballet in Moscow.