Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History"
March 12, 1710
British Composer Thomas Arne born in London (d. 1778)

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
March 13, 2004
Luciano Pavarotti performs in his last opera, New York Metropolitan Opera's "Tosca"

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

*This Day in Music history*
March 14, 1879

Albert Einstein is born in Ulm, Germany, the first child of Hermann and Pauline Einstein.
He played piano and violin starting at an early age and as an adult, credited his violin playing as a way to help work through big ideas.  While living in Berlin, he would often play his beloved instrument named 'Lina" with friends, including violinist Fritz Kreisler and pianist Artur Schnabel.

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music ... I get most joy in life out of music.  Life without playing music is inconceivable for me," he once said.

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History"
March 15, 1908
First performance of Maurice Ravel's "Rapsodie Espagnole"

Szykneij

Szykneij

March 16, 1894
Jules Massenet's opera "Thaïs" premieres in Paris.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 14, 2021, 04:24:01 AM
*This Day in Music history*
March 14, 1879

Albert Einstein is born in Ulm, Germany, the first child of Hermann and Pauline Einstein.
He played piano and violin starting at an early age and as an adult, credited his violin playing as a way to help work through big ideas.  While living in Berlin, he would often play his beloved instrument named 'Lina" with friends, including violinist Fritz Kreisler and pianist Artur Schnabel.

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music ... I get most joy in life out of music.  Life without playing music is inconceivable for me," he once said.
Loved the Einstein stories and quote (and stamps)!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Slow day for classical music.

March 17, 1926
Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart's musical "Girl Friend" premieres in NYC

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Szykneij

March 18, 1902
Italian operatic tenor Enrico Caruso becomes 1st well-known performer to make a record

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 18, 2021, 03:16:19 AM
March 18, 1902
Italian operatic tenor Enrico Caruso becomes 1st well-known performer to make a record

Cool!  8)
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History*
March 19, 1859
Charles Gounod's opera "Faust" premieres in Paris

Szykneij

March 19, 1873
Max Reger, German composer, pianist and professor (Leipzig University), born in Brand, Bavarian Empire (d. 1916)

March 20, 1873
Sergei V Rachmaninov, Russian/US pianist/composer born near Semyonovo, Russia

Szykneij

March 21, 1826
Beethoven's "String Quartet No. 13" in B flat major (Op 130) premieres in Vienna

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on March 21, 2021, 03:34:35 AM
March 21, 1826
Beethoven's "String Quartet No. 13" in B flat major (Op 130) premieres in Vienna

🙂 ... which BTW makes one wonder: we practically never hear about India's Western-CM life ... I can mention Mehta, and that's about it.

Iota

Quote from: Szykneij on March 12, 2021, 03:02:34 AM
March 12, 1710
British Composer Thomas Arne born in London (d. 1778)

Blimey, if Thomas Arne as is came in to audition for a part as one of the seven dwarfs, I have a pretty good idea which one I might suggest ..

Very much enjoy the interesting facts and images this thread turns up.  :)

Szykneij

Quote from: Iota on March 21, 2021, 10:53:13 AM
Blimey, if Thomas Arne as is came in to audition for a part as one of the seven dwarfs, I have a pretty good idea which one I might suggest ..

Very much enjoy the interesting facts and images this thread turns up.  :)

Yes, not a very flattering portrayal.  :)

Wikipedia says about the artist Francesco Bartolozzi RA (Florence, 21 September 1727 – 7 March 1815, Lisbon) was an Italian engraver, whose most productive period was spent in London. He is noted for popularizing the "crayon" method of engraving.

Szykneij

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 21, 2021, 09:31:00 AM
🙂 ... which BTW makes one wonder: we practically never hear about India's Western-CM life ... I can mention Mehta, and that's about it.

In addition to Beethoven, India has honored Schubert, Handel, and Bach with stamps.

The country has produced a lot of music-related stamps, but most feature Indian musicians and instruments.

Szykneij

March 22, 1687
Jean-Baptiste Lully, Italian-born French composer, dies at the age of 54

Szykneij

Quote from: Old San Antone on March 22, 2021, 04:18:07 AM
Please excuse the duplication if this has been posted previsously.

No, it hasn't been posted. It was part of this U.S. series.

Szykneij

March 23, 1743
George Frideric Handel's oratorio "Messiah" premieres in London