Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History*
April 4th
1957 Heitor Villa-Lobos' 10th Symphony premieres French Radio National Orchestra, conducted by the composer, in Paris
1922 Elmer Bernstein, American movie music composer (The Magnificent Seven, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Age Of innocence), born in NYC, New York (d. 2004)

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History"
April 5, 1902
Maurice Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante defunte" premieres in Paris

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History"
April 6, 1971
Igor Stravinsky dies of pneumonia at 88

Szykneij

April 7
1724 Johann Sebastian Bach's "St John Passion" premieres in Leipzig
1805 Premiere of Ludwig van Beethoven's "Eroica" (conducted by himself)

Szykneij

April 8,1692
Giuseppe Tartini, Venetian Baroque composer and violinist (Trillo del Diavolo), born in Piran, Venice (d. 1770)

Szykneij

April 9, 1939
Marian Anderson sings before 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Szykneij

April 10,1868
1st performance of Johannes Brahms' "A German Requiem"

pjme

https://www.youtube.com/v/mAONYTMf2pk

I didn't know enough of this concert and had to do some research. 

"The Lincoln Memorial concert made Anderson an international celebrity. It overshadowed the rest of her long life as a performer — she was 96 when she died in 1993. Eventually she did sing at Constitution Hall. By that time, the DAR had apologized and changed its rules. Anderson rarely spoke of that historic April day, and Keiler says when she did, there was no rancor.

"You never heard in her voice, a single tone of meanness, bitterness, blame, it was simply lacking," he says. "There is something saintly in that. Something deeply human and good."
Source: https://www.npr.org/2014/04/09/298760473/denied-a-stage-she-sang-for-a-nation

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on April 10, 2021, 02:53:05 AM

"You never heard in her voice, a single tone of meanness, bitterness, blame, it was simply lacking," he says. "There is something saintly in that. Something deeply human and good."
Source: https://www.npr.org/2014/04/09/298760473/denied-a-stage-she-sang-for-a-nation

Great story - Thanks for finding that!

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History"
April 11, 1830
Robert Schumann hears violinist Paganini play in Frankfurt

Szykneij

April 12, 1945
Richard Strauss completes his "Metamorphosen"

Szykneij

April 13, 1896
John Philip Sousa's "El Capitan" premieres at the Tremont Theatre in Boston

Szykneij

April 14, 1759
George Frideric Handel dies at 74 in London, possibly due to a failed eye operation

https://biography.yourdictionary.com/articles/how-george-handel-die.html

Szykneij

April 15, 1729
Johann Sebastian Bach's "St Matthew Passion" premieres in Leipzig

Papy Oli

A nice daily discovery, Tony.

I particularly liked the Stravinsky first day envelope further up.
Olivier

pjme

Plenty of discoveries, indeed. A Sousa operetta !...I confess not knowing that Sousa wrote more than marches...

Szykneij

Quote from: pjme on April 15, 2021, 05:40:29 AM

Plenty of discoveries, indeed. A Sousa operetta !...I confess not knowing that Sousa wrote more than marches...

Also, that Souza began his music studies playing the violin with John Esputa, Jr., a prominent violin and viola instructor and a fine cornetist. Esputa, who discovered Souza's perfect pitch and sight reading abilities, was able to give his student a strong foundation in music theory and harmony.

Szykneij

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 15, 2021, 05:26:18 AM
A nice daily discovery, Tony.

I particularly liked the Stravinsky first day envelope further up.

Thanks!

That first day cover was one I serviced myself back in 1982. The first class postal rate at the time was 20 cents, so additional postage needed to be added to the 2-cent Stravinsky stamp. The musical bulk rate and non-profit stamps made good complementary choices.

Florestan

A very nice and extremely informative thread, Tony, thank you.

I'm curious: how many stamps do you own? As a kid I collected stamps too, though music was not my interest back then. I should still have my stamp albums somewhere, must look for them.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy