Music, the Mail, and Ephemera

Started by Szykneij, January 11, 2021, 04:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Szykneij on May 04, 2021, 03:37:09 AM
*This Day in Music History*
May 4, 1878
Thomas Edison's Phonograph shown for first time at Grand Opera House, San Francisco.

That must have been an amazing thing to witness for the first time. :o

Szykneij

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 05, 2021, 05:28:51 AM
That must have been an amazing thing to witness for the first time. :o

Apparently, things didn't go smoothly. I had a lot of trouble finding background information about the event, but the attached PDF link gives some details.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/146079/jacquesb_1.pdf?sequence=1
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

*This Day in Music History"
May 6, 1800
Ferdinand Marcucci, Italian harpist and composer, born in Florence (d. 1871)

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

steve ridgway

Quote from: Szykneij on May 05, 2021, 06:57:15 AM
Apparently, things didn't go smoothly. I had a lot of trouble finding background information about the event, but the attached PDF link gives some details.

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/146079/jacquesb_1.pdf?sequence=1

This is a great read Tony, I'm half way through it already. Really interesting stuff about how people in the past tried to monetise the new technology of recording equipment and the attitudes people had to the machinery, artists and media. It's hard to imagine now that people would just buy a dozen records.

Szykneij

May 7, 1824
Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th Symphony premieres in Vienna.

Szykneij

"This Day in Music History"
May 8, 1924
Arthur Honegger's "Pacifica 231" premieres

Szykneij

May 9, 1707
Dietrich Buxtehude, German organist & composer, dies at about 69

Szykneij

May 5, 1855
Anatoli Liadov born in St Petersburg, Russia

Szykneij

May 11, 1881
Bedrich Smetana's opera "Libusa" premieres in Prague

Szykneij

May 12, 1845
Gabriel Urbain Fauré born in Pamiers, France (d. 1924)

Szykneij

May 13, 1767
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's first opera "Apollo et Hyacinthus", written when he was 11 years old, premieres in Salzburg

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on May 13, 2021, 03:28:37 AM
May 13, 1767
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's first opera "Apollo et Hyacinthus", written when he was 11 years old, premieres in Salzburg

You know what, I have 5-6 of those sets!  ;D  Not this one, but La Traviata, the Damnation of Faust and a few others.  Is that one of yours?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2021, 03:35:13 AM
You know what, I have 5-6 of those sets!  ;D  Not this one, but La Traviata, the Damnation of Faust and a few others.  Is that one of yours?  :)

PD

Yes, it's from a "Life of Mozart" set. The "Liebig's Extract of Meat Company" produced these trade cards between 1870 and 1975.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on May 13, 2021, 03:50:34 AM
Yes, it's from a "Life of Mozart" set. The "Liebig's Extract of Meat Company" produced these trade cards between 1870 and 1975.
I collected mine probably about 15ish years ago.  I also have (and pardon, but I'm being lazy with my French use today!):  Renowned opera theaters, the Mastersingers of Nuremberg, and the Magic Flute.  Do you happen to know, were they all issued in a series of 6 each?  All of the ones that I have are like that.  I've had mine matted and framed and are on a wall at the base of the stairway going up to the top floor.  They are fun to look at!  Do you have others in that series or others?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2021, 04:32:06 AM
I collected mine probably about 15ish years ago.  I also have (and pardon, but I'm being lazy with my French use today!):  Renowned opera theaters, the Mastersingers of Nuremberg, and the Magic Flute.  Do you happen to know, were they all issued in a series of 6 each?  All of the ones that I have are like that.  I've had mine matted and framed and are on a wall at the base of the stairway going up to the top floor.  They are fun to look at!  Do you have others in that series or others?

PD

They were mostly issued in sets of 6 or 12. I have the complete Mozart set and a few additional music-related cards from various other sets.

Szykneij

May 14, 1832
Felix Mendelssohn's concert overture "Hebrides" premieres in London

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on May 13, 2021, 12:03:55 PM
They were mostly issued in sets of 6 or 12. I have the complete Mozart set and a few additional music-related cards from various other sets.
Thanks!  By the way, how many are there in your Mozart set?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 14, 2021, 05:37:56 AM
Thanks!  By the way, how many are there in your Mozart set?

PD

Seems to be a set of 6.

Szykneij

May 15, 1567
Claudio Monteverdi, Italian composer and pioneer in development of opera (L'Orfeo, espro della Beata Vergine), baptised in Cremona, Italy (d. 1643)

Szykneij

*These Days in Music History*

May 16, 1868
Bedrich Smetana's opera "Dalibor" premieres in Prague

May 17, 1866
Erik Satie born in Honfleur, Normandy (d. 1925)

May 18, 1887
Emmanuel Chabrier's opera "Le roi malgré lui" (King, in spite of himself) premieres at the Opéra-Comique in Paris; after 3 performances the theatre burns down