Author Topic: My play "Capriccio Radio" receives its first public reading  (Read 533 times)

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
My play "Capriccio Radio" receives its first public reading
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 7pm ET, the Zoom-based online Variations on a Theme Called COVID. Theater Company will present the first public reading of my play "Capriccio Radio" over Facebook. The subject of this play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. I will provide a link once it's available, and the play will also be saved for later viewing on YouTube.

No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." On and off over the past ten years, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened, dating from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages.

More to the point, no play I have written means as much to me. As someone who, like my characters Noah and Sylvan, once planned to become a composer, I have remained deeply involved in classical music as a pianist, writer, and concert-goer for some 60 years. And while there have been a small number of other plays about classical music - Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus," Terrence McNally's "Master Class," Ronald Harwood's "Quartet," Michael Hollinger's "Opus," Itamar Moses's "Bach at Leipzig" among them - each focuses on a particular composer or performer, and I believe "Capriccio Radio" is the only play that treats its subject in the larger context described above.

I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision. You will see:

Bryon Azoulay as James Godfrey
Laura Coccimiglio as Roberta Siegel
Tom Ciorciari as Sylvan Phillips
Jonathan Minchew-Gonzalez as Claude Feierstein
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Ginny Stahlman Crooks as Lydia Morolla
Tyler Holmes as Noah Brock
Alice Rhoades as Jackie and Stage Direction Reader

The script has also received several gratifying reviews on New Play Exchange and elsewhere:

“A loving and incisive look inside the box to see what makes the music come out, and the characters are just as you'd imagine in the world where money and culture clash. But in this case, the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together.” -
Philip Middleton Williams on New Play Exchange

“The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. The characters, many of them on the downhill side of middle age, struggle to preserve their dignity (and livelihoods) in a brave new world that no longer values their intelligence or accrued knowledge. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, ‘Capriccio Radio’ will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status.” -
Robert Weibezahl on NPX

“'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate.” -
Doug DeVita, on NPX

“An excruciatingly human look at those of us who have dedicated our lives to a dying art form and are finding it difficult to reconcile integrity with accessibility.” -
Alex Perez, on NPX

"Bracingly intelligent, and speaks to your experience in and knowledge of the theatre and effective stagecraft." -
Brian Reinhart, classical music critic for the Dallas Observer and MusicWeb International.

So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: My play "Capriccio Radio" receives its first public reading
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 7pm ET, the Zoom-based online Variations on a Theme Called COVID. Theater Company will present the first public reading of my play "Capriccio Radio" over Facebook. The subject of this play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. I will provide a link once it's available, and the play will also be saved for later viewing on YouTube.

No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." On and off over the past ten years, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened, dating from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages.

More to the point, no play I have written means as much to me. As someone who, like my characters Noah and Sylvan, once planned to become a composer, I have remained deeply involved in classical music as a pianist, writer, and concert-goer for some 60 years. And while there have been a small number of other plays about classical music - Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus," Terrence McNally's "Master Class," Ronald Harwood's "Quartet," Michael Hollinger's "Opus," Itamar Moses's "Bach at Leipzig" among them - each focuses on a particular composer or performer, and I believe "Capriccio Radio" is the only play that treats its subject in the larger context described above.

I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision. You will see:

Bryon Azoulay as James Godfrey
Laura Coccimiglio as Roberta Siegel
Tom Ciorciari as Sylvan Phillips
Jonathan Minchew-Gonzalez as Claude Feierstein
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Ginny Stahlman Crooks as Lydia Morolla
Tyler Holmes as Noah Brock
Alice Rhoades as Jackie and Stage Direction Reader

The script has also received several gratifying reviews on New Play Exchange and elsewhere:

“A loving and incisive look inside the box to see what makes the music come out, and the characters are just as you'd imagine in the world where money and culture clash. But in this case, the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together.” -
Philip Middleton Williams on New Play Exchange

“The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. The characters, many of them on the downhill side of middle age, struggle to preserve their dignity (and livelihoods) in a brave new world that no longer values their intelligence or accrued knowledge. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, ‘Capriccio Radio’ will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status.” -
Robert Weibezahl on NPX

“'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate.” -
Doug DeVita, on NPX

“An excruciatingly human look at those of us who have dedicated our lives to a dying art form and are finding it difficult to reconcile integrity with accessibility.” -
Alex Perez, on NPX

"Bracingly intelligent, and speaks to your experience in and knowledge of the theatre and effective stagecraft." -
Brian Reinhart, classical music critic for the Dallas Observer and MusicWeb International.

So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting!

Wonderful, and bravo! Count me in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
Wonderful, and bravo! Count me in!

Topic: Capriccio Radio: A Virtual Read
Time: Jan 23, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada). Room opens 7pm, reading 7:30-9:45

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83810587898?pwd=WUNDNEo3b09kS0pneUxCd1QyUDIxQT09

Meeting ID: 838 1058 7898
Passcode: 759692
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,83810587898#,,,,*759692# US (New York)
+13017158592,,83810587898#,,,,*759692# US (Washington D.C)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 838 1058 7898
Passcode: 759692
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/ktpaQTYJY
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline david johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 04:06:26 PM »
Can't make the Zoom, but I'd like to see it. Will you please inform us when it's up on YouTube?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach