My play "Capriccio Radio" receives its first public reading

Started by (poco) Sforzando, January 20, 2021, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 7pm ET, the Zoom-based online Variations on a Theme Called COVID. Theater Company will present the first public reading of my play "Capriccio Radio" over Facebook. The subject of this play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. I will provide a link once it's available, and the play will also be saved for later viewing on YouTube.

No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." On and off over the past ten years, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened, dating from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages.

More to the point, no play I have written means as much to me. As someone who, like my characters Noah and Sylvan, once planned to become a composer, I have remained deeply involved in classical music as a pianist, writer, and concert-goer for some 60 years. And while there have been a small number of other plays about classical music - Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus," Terrence McNally's "Master Class," Ronald Harwood's "Quartet," Michael Hollinger's "Opus," Itamar Moses's "Bach at Leipzig" among them - each focuses on a particular composer or performer, and I believe "Capriccio Radio" is the only play that treats its subject in the larger context described above.

I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision. You will see:

Bryon Azoulay as James Godfrey
Laura Coccimiglio as Roberta Siegel
Tom Ciorciari as Sylvan Phillips
Jonathan Minchew-Gonzalez as Claude Feierstein
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Ginny Stahlman Crooks as Lydia Morolla
Tyler Holmes as Noah Brock
Alice Rhoades as Jackie and Stage Direction Reader

The script has also received several gratifying reviews on New Play Exchange and elsewhere:

"A loving and incisive look inside the box to see what makes the music come out, and the characters are just as you'd imagine in the world where money and culture clash. But in this case, the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together." -
Philip Middleton Williams on New Play Exchange

"The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. The characters, many of them on the downhill side of middle age, struggle to preserve their dignity (and livelihoods) in a brave new world that no longer values their intelligence or accrued knowledge. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, 'Capriccio Radio' will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status." -
Robert Weibezahl on NPX

"'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate." -
Doug DeVita, on NPX

"An excruciatingly human look at those of us who have dedicated our lives to a dying art form and are finding it difficult to reconcile integrity with accessibility." -
Alex Perez, on NPX

"Bracingly intelligent, and speaks to your experience in and knowledge of the theatre and effective stagecraft." -
Brian Reinhart, classical music critic for the Dallas Observer and MusicWeb International.

So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 20, 2021, 08:18:53 PM
On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 7pm ET, the Zoom-based online Variations on a Theme Called COVID. Theater Company will present the first public reading of my play "Capriccio Radio" over Facebook. The subject of this play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. I will provide a link once it's available, and the play will also be saved for later viewing on YouTube.

No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." On and off over the past ten years, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened, dating from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages.

More to the point, no play I have written means as much to me. As someone who, like my characters Noah and Sylvan, once planned to become a composer, I have remained deeply involved in classical music as a pianist, writer, and concert-goer for some 60 years. And while there have been a small number of other plays about classical music - Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus," Terrence McNally's "Master Class," Ronald Harwood's "Quartet," Michael Hollinger's "Opus," Itamar Moses's "Bach at Leipzig" among them - each focuses on a particular composer or performer, and I believe "Capriccio Radio" is the only play that treats its subject in the larger context described above.

I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision. You will see:

Bryon Azoulay as James Godfrey
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Tyler Holmes as Noah Brock

The script has also received several gratifying reviews on New Play Exchange and elsewhere:

"A loving and incisive look inside the box to see what makes the music come out, and the characters are just as you'd imagine in the world where money and culture clash. But in this case, the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together." -
Philip Middleton Williams on New Play Exchange

"The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. The characters, many of them on the downhill side of middle age, struggle to preserve their dignity (and livelihoods) in a brave new world that no longer values their intelligence or accrued knowledge. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, 'Capriccio Radio' will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status." -
Robert Weibezahl on NPX

"'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate." -
Doug DeVita, on NPX

"An excruciatingly human look at those of us who have dedicated our lives to a dying art form and are finding it difficult to reconcile integrity with accessibility." -
Alex Perez, on NPX

"Bracingly intelligent, and speaks to your experience in and knowledge of the theatre and effective stagecraft." -
Brian Reinhart, classical music critic for the Dallas Observer and MusicWeb International.

So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting!

Wonderful, and bravo! Count me in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 21, 2021, 07:30:52 AM
Wonderful, and bravo! Count me in!

Topic: Capriccio Radio: A Virtual Read
Time: Jan 23, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada). Room opens 7pm, reading 7:30-9:45

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83810587898?pwd=WUNDNEo3b09kS0pneUxCd1QyUDIxQT09

Meeting ID: 838 1058 7898
Passcode: 759692
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,83810587898#,,,,*759692# US (New York)
+13017158592,,83810587898#,,,,*759692# US (Washington D.C)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 838 1058 7898
Passcode: 759692
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/ktpaQTYJY

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Can't make the Zoom, but I'd like to see it. Will you please inform us when it's up on YouTube?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

As Seen on Facebook:

Some here may remember the first public reading this past January of my full-length play "Capriccio Radio." After some revisions but largely with the same cast, the play will be seen [this] month at the online Rogue Theater Festival. First date will be July 23, 6-8pm et, but the play will be available on demand between July 26-August 1. Tickets: $15 at www.roguetheaterfestival.com. Direct ticket links:
Initial Streaming: July 23, 6-8 PM ET at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/53776
On-Demand 48-hour access: July 26-August 1 at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162
As I first stated in January, the subject of the play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. The script is on NPX and has received eight recommendations thus far, including such comments as "'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate" (Douglas McNamara DeVita), "the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together" (Philip Middleton Williams), and "The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, 'Capriccio Radio' will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status" (Robert Weibezahl).
Let me qualify the last statement by saying that my seven characters range in age from 17 to 79. I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, D.C., and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision.
You will see:
Bryon Albert Isaac as James Godfrey
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Gabriel Brumberg as Noah Brock
No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." While the idea first occurred to me in 2007, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened over the past ten years, evolving from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages - even though much new material was added.
But "Capriccio Radio" is not only about classical music, and my cast has assured me that a knowledge of this music is not needed to enjoy it. That's because the play is also about friendship, workplace issues, parent-child relations, and more. And as one of my actors has noted, the play will challenge both those who love this kind of music and those who think they hate the stuff.
I've added some photos for you to see the look of the play as it has been filmed. My videographers Alex Vart and Chris Hassell went far beyond the typical Zoom look to provide virtual backgrounds to simulate a set and add stage directions and music. By the way, to avoid copyright infringement, most of the short musical extracts were notated in Finale and generated as .WAV files — with the exception of two vocal pieces that were performed by soprano Julie Allison, accompanied in one Mahler song by Teruhiko Toda.
So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting! More content to come in upcoming weeks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 10, 2021, 05:52:28 PM
As Seen on Facebook:

Some here may remember the first public reading this past January of my full-length play "Capriccio Radio." After some revisions but largely with the same cast, the play will be seen [this] month at the online Rogue Theater Festival. First date will be July 23, 6-8pm et, but the play will be available on demand between July 26-August 1. Tickets: $15 at www.roguetheaterfestival.com. Direct ticket links:
Initial Streaming: July 23, 6-8 PM ET at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/53776
On-Demand 48-hour access: July 26-August 1 at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162
As I first stated in January, the subject of the play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. The script is on NPX and has received eight recommendations thus far, including such comments as "'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate" (Douglas McNamara DeVita), "the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together" (Philip Middleton Williams), and "The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, 'Capriccio Radio' will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status" (Robert Weibezahl).
Let me qualify the last statement by saying that my seven characters range in age from 17 to 79. I am truly delighted by my cast, selected from numerous fine candidates from New York, New Jersey, D.C., and Texas, and all of whom have shown both exceptional talent and a remarkable dedication to this playwright's vision.
You will see:
Bryon Albert Isaac as James Godfrey
Marco Cunha as Ed Ramsey
Gabriel Brumberg as Noah Brock
No play of mine has undergone so lengthy an evolution as "Capriccio Radio." While the idea first occurred to me in 2007, the play has steadily been reshaped and tightened over the past ten years, evolving from an early draft of 25000 words/120 pages in 2011 to its present lean form of 18000 words/85 pages - even though much new material was added.
But "Capriccio Radio" is not only about classical music, and my cast has assured me that a knowledge of this music is not needed to enjoy it. That's because the play is also about friendship, workplace issues, parent-child relations, and more. And as one of my actors has noted, the play will challenge both those who love this kind of music and those who think they hate the stuff.
I've added some photos for you to see the look of the play as it has been filmed. My videographers Alex Vart and Chris Hassell went far beyond the typical Zoom look to provide virtual backgrounds to simulate a set and add stage directions and music. By the way, to avoid copyright infringement, most of the short musical extracts were notated in Finale and generated as .WAV files — with the exception of two vocal pieces that were performed by soprano Julie Allison, accompanied in one Mahler song by Teruhiko Toda.
So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting! More content to come in upcoming weeks!

I've bought my ticket!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 10, 2021, 05:52:51 PM
I've bought my ticket!

Thanks to Karl for his advocacy! Please see new post above for updated details!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

I am rather disappointed, to be honest, at how little interest this play of mine has aroused, even from people who know me well here.

You have until tomorrow, August 1, to see my production on-demand for a mere $15, the cost of one CD! And I believe you'll find a play that dramatizes a lot of significant issues facing the world of classical music today. To quote one audience member (who asked to remain anonymous):

QuoteI loved the play last night! We were amazed how you managed to put this together and the editing was just extraordinary as was of course the acting. And I have to say this is a play the likes of which I haven't seen in a while, one that makes you think, that has a depth, humanity, and contrast to so much of the current fare which chases headlines in the name of sounding in tune with the latest political trends. Bravo!

For tickets, click here: through August 1 at https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162
For a brief video trailer, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vol8lxguhzka8hk/CR%2045-second%20trailer%20final.mp4?dl=0
For a 25-minute video interview with me, click here: https://youtu.be/paEFzMRf5yU

Thank you,
(poco)

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 31, 2021, 10:36:56 AM
I am rather disappointed, to be honest, at how little interest this play of mine has aroused, even from people who know me well here.

You have until tomorrow, August 1, to see my production on-demand for a mere $15, the cost of one CD! And I believe you'll find a play that dramatizes a lot of significant issues facing the world of classical music today. To quote one audience member (who asked to remain anonymous):

For tickets, click here: through August 1 at https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162
For a brief video trailer, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vol8lxguhzka8hk/CR%2045-second%20trailer%20final.mp4?dl=0
For a 25-minute video interview with me, click here: https://youtu.be/paEFzMRf5yU

Thank you,
(poco)

My friend in San Diego watched, though I have not yet talked about the play with him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2021, 11:25:55 AM
My friend in San Diego watched, though I have not yet talked about the play with him.

Thank you.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Hello, friends.

Some of you may have already seen my 2-hour play about the classical music world, "Capriccio Radio," which is available in a filmed version at the Rogue Theater Festival. Some of you may be tired of me posting on the subject (perfectly understandable)! The original cutoff date was August 1; however, the on-demand period has been extended to end of day tonight, August 4. If you're interested, please purchase a ticket no later than about 9:45 US eastern time this evening, as everything expires at midnight. Here is the link for tickets: https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162

If you're interested but not available or can't afford a ticket, I will offer a private link on request for one-time viewing at a later date. I will not charge, but if you care to make a small contribution to offset some of my expenses, that would be appreciated.

Best,
(poco) Sfz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 04, 2021, 06:34:22 AM

If you're interested but not available or can't afford a ticket, I will offer a private link on request for one-time viewing at a later date. I will not charge, but if you care to make a small contribution to offset some of my expenses, that would be appreciated.

Darn, I missed your ticket announcement. Can I take the private link option please? And yes, I am willing to make a small contribution.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 06, 2021, 03:04:02 PM
Darn, I missed your ticket announcement. Can I take the private link option please? And yes, I am willing to make a small contribution.

Yes, of course. I'll be in touch by Message in a day or two.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Well, I just watched Capriccio Radio for the first time (thanks for the link, (poco)), and my reaction is:

Wow, this is good!

What did I like about it? Based on a mere first viewing, the following:

All of the characters come across as sympathetic and rounded human beings, even when they are showing not the best sides of themselves. It's very difficult to do this in any literary form, I think. Even the "villain" of the piece, Mr. Godfrey, gets some sympathy - at least you can understand where's he's coming from and why he has to act as he does.

It helps that the play is tackling a topic that I've always found interesting (the clash between art and commerce; or more broadly, the clash between the practical necessities of life and the aesthetic, spiritual aspects that make life meaningful).

From a dramatic POV, I was impressed with the structure and sense of motion - hardly anything superfluous here, all working smoothly, no boring patches or places where I wondered "what's going on?" There were some good laughs too.

I think my favorite character is Sylvan, because he stands for uncompromising aesthetic standards, but is not a snob and doesn't condescend to people. I also think the actor playing him was excellent, rather low-key in his approach but with a real sense of commitment. The acting was pretty solid throughout.

Not so crazy about the Zoom-ed appearance of everything, but at least I could see the actors. That said, I think the play would work well on the radio.

And as a veteran of these boards, I'm glad you worked the phrase "atonal crap" into it.  ;D

So in sum, a play I can highly recommend to people interested in classical music or the fine arts in general (and that means pretty much everyone here, right?).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 18, 2021, 04:31:13 PM
Well, I just watched Capriccio Radio for the first time (thanks for the link, (poco)), and my reaction is:

Wow, this is good!

All of the characters come across as sympathetic and rounded human beings, even when they are showing not the best sides of themselves. It's very difficult to do this in any literary form, I think. Even the "villain" of the piece, Mr. Godfrey, gets some sympathy - at least you can understand where's he's coming from and why he has to act as he does.

It helps that the play is tackling a topic that I've always found interesting (the clash between art and commerce; or more broadly, the clash between the practical necessities of life and the aesthetic, spiritual aspects that make life meaningful).

From a dramatic POV, I was impressed with the structure and sense of motion - hardly anything superfluous here, all working smoothly, no boring patches or places where I wondered "what's going on?" There were some good laughs too.

I think my favorite character is Sylvan, because he stands for uncompromising aesthetic standards, but is not a snob and doesn't condescend to people. I also think the actor playing him was excellent, rather low-key in his approach but with a real sense of commitment. The acting was pretty solid throughout.

Not so crazy about the Zoom-ed appearance of everything, but at least I could see the actors. That said, I think the play would work well on the radio.

And as a veteran of these boards, I'm glad you worked the phrase "atonal crap" into it.  ;D

So in sum, a play I can highly recommend to people interested in classical music or the fine arts in general (and that means pretty much everyone here, right?).

Outstanding!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on August 18, 2021, 04:31:13 PM

Wow, this is good!

Thank you so much, Mr. Archaic. The "Zoom-ed" appearance was unavoidable given the conditions set by the festival, but it did allow me to use actors simultaneously from all over the country (NY, NJ, DC, and TX). I truly hope others on this board will be interested as well; links to the play and some supplementary trailers/interviews are available on request via PM.

The phrase "atonal crap" dates back of course to my late and lamented friend Ralph Stein, whom I met numerous times in New York City and was a constant presence on ClassicalMusicGuide.com.

(poco)