Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.

Started by Mandryka, January 28, 2021, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Currently enjoying this - suggestions for more music in a similar vein, or not, appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/v/PQe7SACPQy4

Streaming everywhere

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mandryka

Finnissy's third quartet starts out like a not unattractive piece of conventional music, blocks of intense string writing sound out as confidently as any quartet from the first half of the 20th century. This music is as serious as Janacek or Schoenberg. The first inkling that something more experimental is going to happen is when some birds start to sing as they're playing. These birds increasingly gain the upper hand. The string players become hesitant, they even start (with limited success) to try to imitate the sparrows, their music develops into something  fragmented and incoherent as they try, and fail, to find a way to play with the birds. The music ends with a long dawn chorus, all the musicians can do is listen.

Some of the writing for strings is stunningly beautiful here, especially in the central part of the quartet.

Szykneij

Fascinating composition! A clue to the arrival of the birds (other than the cd cover) is the pecking pizzicato notes just prior. The initial bird sounds are recognizable to me. I have several bird feeders in my yard, and the house sparrow and starling chirps, with the occasional crow caw, are familiar. The string quartet "interruptions" don't seem to phase the birds at all. The bird chorus at the end includes a new "basser"  avian voice I don't recognize. Finnissy's work is completely new to me. Thanks for posting.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mandryka

Steve Peters Morning Ragas is basically the dawn chorus over a low drone. And the birdsong gets some electronic processing. You can try it for free here

https://stevepeters.bandcamp.com/album/morning-ragas.

Just speaking personally, when I listen to it it completely effaces the memory of other music. Who needs Bach and Beethoven?! 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2021, 04:01:02 AMJust speaking personally, when I listen to it it completely effaces the memory of other music. Who needs Bach and Beethoven?!

People who actually want to listen to music and not bird sounds I suppose.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2021, 06:43:09 AM

Haha!  Perfect!

Mandryka I think I have your perfect music listening experience then:

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2021, 06:43:09 AM

Organised, arranged and even electronically processed bird sounds. That's music. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2021, 07:29:23 AM
Organised, arranged and even electronically processed bird sounds. That's music.

Nope. Not even close. Nice try, though.

Mirror Image

T. D.

I prefer plants.

I actually own copies of these recordings.  :D They're not bad. But I passed on the piano version. The original pieces are microtonal, and I doubted that'd carry over to piano.
I may not be totally insane...iirc, on a Japanese composers thread someone else expressed a liking for Fujieda's music.

ritter

There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/v/yPdcBxDmJIg
I find much to admire and enjoy in  Jonathan Harvey's music, but I'm no really that keen on this piece....

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2021, 07:15:15 AM
Haha!  Perfect!

Mandryka I think I have your perfect music listening experience then:

I really enjoy his Cantus Arcticus.  The recording that I have is on Ondine.  Actually, that would be a good one for today (as it's snowing).  :)

EDIT:  I'm listening to my own C.A.--currently a silent piece of music; I looked out of my kitchen window a few minutes ago to see a pair of red-tailed hawk hanging out in two trees in a neighbor's yard.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

North Star

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2021, 10:39:19 AM
I really enjoy his Cantus Arcticus.  The recording that I have is on Ondine.  Actually, that would be a good one for today (as it's snowing).  :)

EDIT:  I'm listening to my own C.A.--currently a silent piece of music; I looked out of my kitchen window a few minutes ago to see a pair of red-tailed hawk hanging out in two trees in a neighbor's yard.   :)
But... most of the birdsong is from species that migrate to the south for winter. ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on February 01, 2021, 11:29:07 AMThread-duty - Maiden-listen Monday
Tallis
The Complete Works, Volume 1 - The Early Works
Chapelle du Roy
Alistair Dixon

[asin]B000YPWBP8[/asin]

Wrong thread. ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: North Star on February 01, 2021, 11:29:07 AM
But... most of the birdsong is from species that migrate to the south for winter. ;)
Oh interesting to know!  Of course, that makes sense.  I was thinking that it had been recorded in warmer months...it was more the Arctic part that I was thinking of--particularly lately as it had been bitterly cold...slowly warming up here.

PD

EDIT:  I was surprised to find out that there are snowy owls in my area during the wintertime.  Hoping to see one as the photos of them are amazing!
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Just remember folks: if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's an aardvark. :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2021, 12:36:52 PM
Just remember folks: if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's an aardvark. :D
Pardon?  Sorry, lost you there John....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

North Star

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2021, 11:51:46 AM
Oh interesting to know!  Of course, that makes sense.  I was thinking that it had been recorded in warmer months...it was more the Arctic part that I was thinking of--particularly lately as it had been bitterly cold...slowly warming up here.

PD

EDIT:  I was surprised to find out that there are snowy owls in my area during the wintertime.  Hoping to see one as the photos of them are amazing!
Some of the bird calls were taken from archives, additionally, Rautavaara gathered the recordings from marshlands about 10 kilometers south from where I live, popular with migratory birds, and bird watchers.

But yes, it's about -20 deg C / -4 deg F here right now, quite enough cold for me.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: North Star on February 01, 2021, 12:44:47 PM
Some of the bird calls were taken from archives, additionally, Rautavaara gathered the recordings from marshlands about 10 kilometers south from where I live, popular with migratory birds, and bird watchers.

But yes, it's about -20 deg C / -4 deg F here right now, quite enough cold for me.
Oh, neat that some of the recordings were from so close to where you live!  :)  May I ask, are you much of a birdwatcher?  I'm slowly learning about different birds (have horrible binocs though).  -4 F....burr!  I hadn't know about some of the bird calls being taken from archives.  At least, I had thought/remembered that he had recorded them all by himself.

Snowing away here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter