Partial Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycles

Started by Oldnslow, February 03, 2022, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldnslow

Just re-listened to Hungerford's recordings on the Piano Classics set. Just wonderful and I agree if he had completed the set he would be in the top tier IMHO

SurprisedByBeauty

For consideration in this thread:

I don't suppose no list of "incomplete cycles" could really be complete (unless it listed every recording of what... any two sonatas? ever made?), but this is an attempt:

Beethoven Sonatas - A Survey of Complete Cycles
The Great Incomplete Cycles

https://ionarts.blogspot.com/2015/07/beethoven-sonatas-survey-of-complete.html

Todd

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 10, 2022, 03:33:36 PMI don't suppose no list of "incomplete cycles" could really be complete (unless it listed every recording of what... any two sonatas? ever made?), but this is an attempt:

I'd set the threshold at 16 sonatas.

Incidentally, the upcoming complete Gieseking edition should have newly remastered versions of all the LvB sonatas for EMI.  Combined with the radio set, and it's nearly complete.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Todd on December 10, 2022, 03:44:09 PMI'd set the threshold at 16 sonatas.

You're more generous than I was, taking 9 as the cut-off.

Quote from: Todd on December 10, 2022, 03:44:09 PMIncidentally, the upcoming complete Gieseking edition should have newly remastered versions of all the LvB sonatas for EMI.  Combined with the radio set, and it's nearly complete.

Uh! Juicy news!

George

Pianists I wish did a whole cycle:

Ivan Moravec
Rudolf Serkin
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: George on September 12, 2023, 07:30:30 AMPianists I wish did a whole cycle:

Ivan Moravec
Rudolf Serkin

I agree with that.  The problem with wish lists is that they can grow and grow.  I mean, what about Lamond, Richter, Cortot (who purportedly did complete a cycle), Kempff's pre-war near-cycle, Foldes, Gelber, etc.

And then there are all those slacker pianists of today who should but have not yet recorded cycles . . .

premont

Quote from: George on September 12, 2023, 07:30:30 AMPianists I wish did a whole cycle:

Ivan Moravec
Rudolf Serkin

Let me add

Paul Koomen
Solomon
Bruce Hungerford
Jörg Demus
Emil Gilels
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: Todd on September 12, 2023, 07:47:26 AMI agree with that.  The problem with wish lists is that they can grow and grow.  I mean, what about Lamond, Richter, Cortot (who purportedly did complete a cycle), Kempff's pre-war near-cycle, Foldes, Gelber, etc.

Sure, I was just naming the two that were at the top of my list. Richter (in his prime years) would be right up there too. If I could only pick one though, it would surely be Moravec.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: George on September 12, 2023, 08:00:42 AMSure, I was just naming the two that were at the top of my list. Richter (in his prime years) would be right up there too. If I could only pick one though, it would surely be Moravec.   

A tough call on that, but I'd probably go Richter.  At least today.