How do get hold of many versions?

Started by 71 dB, April 15, 2007, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: knight on April 18, 2007, 02:59:09 AM
Finally this, which may specifically interest you.
Scholl - German Baroque Cantatas
~ Johann Christoph Bach (Composer), Dietrich Buxtehude (Composer), Philipp Heinrich Erlebach (Composer), Giovanni Legrenzi (Composer), Concerto delle Viole

Mike

I have this.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: knight on April 18, 2007, 03:30:08 AM
I have never been able to endure Bowman who to my ears has an acidic voice. He is still hawking his bones around. As a bridge between the old guard and the new, Michael Chance was a very fine singer, ultra expressive in Bach's St John Passion. I sang in choir with him as soloist a number of times and he converted me to the sound of the Countertenor.

Deller was basically the first, he deliberately wore a beard so people knew he was not a castrato. His voice is really beautiful, but his technique does not permit much volume at all. Especially in the upper reaches, it is a real falsetto without any volume at all. He was a very tasteful musician and all those we hear now owe him a great debt as he basically invented the concept for public singing.

Mike

Agreed too! :)

knight66

Harry, I have two discs by Jarousky, both Vivaldi and I think he is rather special. I have never heard Mera, though I have read about him....However, I have just now ordered this.....The Best of Yoshikazu Mera
~ Sergey Rachmaninov (Composer), George Frideric Handel (Composer), Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Yoshikazu Mera

Mind you, the cover goes straight into the worst cover thread....yuck!

Thanks for prompting me. If you know of other up and coming voices, let me know.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: O Mensch on April 17, 2007, 11:43:36 AM
Wassermusik, I gather?

Well, it does have the phenomenal Lament Ach, dass ich Wassers g'nug hatte by the senior JC Bach (JSB's uncle). Worth the price of this (ludicrously over-packaged) disc alone.

My own buying habits - I tend to buy unknown pieces on frequent whims (which change every day, thus ensuring a pretty wide-ranging and comprehensive CD collection); alternative performances of pieces I already have when they turn up by chance; and those historical performances I want by more careful design and research.

Grazioso

Quote from: knight on April 18, 2007, 04:04:05 AM
Harry, I have two discs by Jarousky, both Vivaldi and I think he is rather special. I have never heard Mera, though I have read about him....However, I have just now ordered this.....The Best of Yoshikazu Mera

A great Mera disc off the beaten path is Mother's Songs: Japanese Popular Songs (BIS), a collection of art settings of folk tunes, accompanied by piano. That guy has an amazing voice and subtle control of it.

At least in his heyday, Gerard Lesne has a really a beautiful countertenor voice. I haven't heard anything recent to judge.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Harry

Quote from: knight on April 18, 2007, 04:04:05 AM
~ Sergey Rachmaninov (Composer), George Frideric Handel (Composer), Johann Sebastian Bach (Composer), Yoshikazu Mera

Mind you, the cover goes straight into the worst cover thread....yuck!

Thanks for prompting me. If you know of other up and coming voices, let me know.

Mike

Blimey the cover is indeed not that great.............
It should be interesting to hear him in Rachmanininov.
I always keep a close watch on new counters, so I will.

Harry

Quote from: Grazioso on April 19, 2007, 03:11:18 AM
A great Mera disc off the beaten path is Mother's Songs: Japanese Popular Songs (BIS), a collection of art settings of folk tunes, accompanied by piano. That guy has an amazing voice and subtle control of it.

At least in his heyday, Gerard Lesne has a really a beautiful countertenor voice. I haven't heard anything recent to judge.

Gerard Lesne's voice is also beginning to fall the wrong way, but luckely I have many highlights on cd from him. :)

knight66

Quote from: Grazioso on April 19, 2007, 03:11:18 AM

Grazioso, Thanks...the disc I mention seems to have about 10 of these art songs. I listened to some clips; as I wondered whether this was going to be cross-over muck, but they sound engaging.

Mike

knight66

Grazioso

Quote from: knight on April 19, 2007, 04:33:34 AM
Grazioso, Thanks...the disc I mention seems to have about 10 of these art songs. I listened to some clips; as I wondered whether this was going to be cross-over muck, but they sound engaging.

Mike

They're more like Lieder, not "popular songs" in our usual Western sense of Britney Spears :)
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mark

Quote from: 71 dB on April 15, 2007, 08:49:59 AM
Who the hell (except Harry) can afford 6 versions of any work?

Before my daughter came along, I had more money (and certainly, more time) to indulge in buying multiple recordings of works I love. It's well known here that I own about 20 versions of Rachmaninov's All-night Vigil, and 14 of Brahms' German Requiem. And to address the number of versions I have of the works you mentioned, I have about six or seven of both of Brahms' Piano Concerti.

For me, it's not a question of not wanting to hear other works by lesser-known (or even, well-known) composers, but one of balancing depth and breadth in my collection. How else can one make 'impartial' recommendations of recordings if one has only a single copy of any given work? ???

Harry

Quote from: Mark on March 08, 2008, 03:18:47 AM
Before my daughter came along, I had more money (and certainly, more time) to indulge in buying multiple recordings of works I love. It's well known here that I own about 20 versions of Rachmaninov's All-night Vigil, and 14 of Brahms' German Requiem. And to address the number of versions I have of the works you mentioned, I have about six or seven of both of Brahms' Piano Concerti.

For me, it's not a question of not wanting to hear other works by lesser-known (or even, well-known) composers, but one of balancing depth and breadth in my collection. How else can one make 'impartial' recommendations of recordings if one has only a single copy of any given work? ???

It is impossible to give impartial recommendations, even if you have multiple recordings of the same piece.
But then, I do not believe in objectivity.....
Recommendations can only be given out of personal experience, so it is always colored by your own subjectivity.
But that's okay..

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on April 07, 2009, 09:34:55 PM
You seem to have the future mapped out.  I don't know how many versions I'll be acquiring in the future; I just get the ones I'm interested in and let the inventory expand in a natural manner.

I tend to collect 10-20 versions of each of the masterpieces depending on whether there are that number of recordings out there that are worth collecting for that work, which include many of JS Bach works (both instrumental and vocal), Beethoven Symphonies and Piano Sonatas, Corelli 12 Concerti Grossi, Op. 6, Handel Messiah and Concerto Grossi Op. 6, Brahms Requiem, Tchaikovsky 5th and 6th, Vivaldi Four Seasons, etc.  I certainly do not believe there is any point for me to collect every version that is out there for a given work.