How do get hold of many versions?

Started by 71 dB, April 15, 2007, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

val

In my case, the number of versions of an work depends on several factors:

1) How much I like that work. Regarding Rachmaninov's 2nd piano Concerto, a work that I don't like very much, I have one only version. Byron Janis with Dorati. Of course, I heard many others in concert, radio, or when I had only LP. But, since I like Janis and Dorati I don't feel the need to go any further.

2) When I like an work and find an interpretation that seems ideal to me according to the perspective I have of the work. It is not very frequent but it happens. An example would be Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky by Ancerl. Another one: Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony by Mravinski. I heard Svetlanov and Reiner in Prokofiev, they are good, I heard Svetlanov, Karajan, Furtwängler, Barenboim and many others in Tchaikovsky, some are very good, but in both cases none of them approaches my "ideal" version. So, why duplicate or triplicate my collection of CD ?

3) Works that I deeply love. There, one or even two versions are not enough. There are always new aspects of the work that an inspired version can reveal. I have 11 versions of Beethoven's opus 106: Brendel (VOX and PHILIPS), Backhaus, Kempff 1951, Arrau, Gulda, Schnabel, Gilels (my favorite), Richter, Solomon, Serkin. I had others that I gave away because they didn't interest me: Eschenbach, Kempff (stereo), Barenboim, Pollini.

And there is the case when we can have several versions and never find one that really pleases us. I have the example of Bach's Matthew Passion: there are many good things in Häfliger/Jochum, Equiluz/Harnoncourt, not as many as that in Karl Richter, Herreweghe, Wöldicke, Klemperer, Gardiner and none in Karajan, Pregardien/Harnoncourt, Corboz. This only to give some versions. So, I keep waiting for "my version" of the St Matthew Passion.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 16, 2007, 04:22:48 AM
It seems that people with several versions of the same works are interested of only those few works and can buy 10-100 versions of them. I am interested of basically every work ever composed operettas excluded. I prefer exploring hundreds of obscure composers instead of buying the same few well-known Symphomies and Piano Concertos over and over again.

I have only one version on Walton's 1st Symphony but I have also dedicated discs of such "obscure" composers as:

Tarquinio Merula, William Lawes, Caspar Kittel, Johann Adolf Hasse, Johann Friedrich Fasch, Michel-Richard Delalande, Louis-Nicolas Clérambault, Nikolaus Bruhns, John Blow, Alfonso X, Orazio Benevolo, Joseph Bodin de Boismortier, Antonio Caldara, Giacomo Carissimi, Francesco Onofrio Manfredini, Paolo Lorenzani, Leopold Hofmann, Francesco Geminiani, Georg Muffat, Johannes Schenck, Johann Baptist Vanhal, Francesco Maria Veracini, Sylvius Leopold Weiss, Johann Rosenmüller, Antonio Rosetti, Monsieur de Sainte Colombe, Sergey Ivanovich Taneyev, Barbara Strozzi, Harold Truscott, Philipp Wolfrum, Matthias Weckmann, Michael Haydn, Rued Langgaard, Jacques Paisible, Jacques-Martin Hotteterre, Jean-Nicolas Geoffroy, Joseph-Guy Ropartz, Kôscak Yamada, Michael Praetorius, Pierre de La Rue, Frederic Mompou, Christoph Graupner, and of course Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf.

At the same time I don't have a single disc of the following well-known composers:

Bartók, Bruckner, Ives, Janácek, Liszt, Lutoslawski, Mahler, Messiaen, Paganini, Penderecki, Poulenc, Respighi, Schoenberg, Johann Strauss jr & sr, Telemann, Vaughan Williams, Verdi, Weber & Webern.

The first list is awesome, and I expected as much from you my friend.

The second list in part I understand too! :)

Szykneij

Quote from: George on April 15, 2007, 12:35:26 PM
I also borrow from the library, but lately that experience has become too stressful, so I will be cutting down on that way.

C'mon, George. The real stress comes from knowing you have to give it back  ;)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on April 16, 2007, 03:43:53 AM
You're kidding, aren't you?

No, I don't remember hearing them. Have you heard Elgar's Piano Concerto (completed by Robert Walker) ?

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 16, 2007, 04:03:23 AM
I'll just say my collection of recordings (around 10,000 LPs, CDs, singles and cassettes) has more width than depth. I think the most versions of any single classical work I have is twelve or so. But I have close to 500 composers represented.

Sarge

Well that sounds very reasonable. ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

BachQ

Quote from: val on April 16, 2007, 04:25:40 AM
1) How much I like that work. Regarding Rachmaninov's 2nd piano Concerto, a work that I don't like very much, I have one only version. Byron Janis with Dorati. Of course, I heard many others in concert, radio, or when I had only LP. But, since I like Janis and Dorati I don't feel the need to go any further.

Not directed at Val necessarily, but if the single recording of a work you own is suboptimal, then that could be the reason you don't like the composition . . . . . . which would explain why you have only one recording (or a small handful or recordings) of the work and don't feel the need to branch out . . . . . .

Sergeant Rock

It seems that people with several versions of the same works are interested of only those few works and can buy 10-100 versions of them. I am interested of basically every work ever composed operettas excluded. I prefer exploring hundreds of obscure composers instead of buying the same few well-known Symphomies and Piano Concertos over and over again.

As my original post pointed out, collecting many versions of one work and collecting many different composers is not mutually exclusive...given enough time and money that is. Twenty years hence, dB, you might very well find yourself with a dozen versions of the Enigma plus hundreds more composers. Give it time and you too may become as insane as the rest of us  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 04:26:11 AM
The first list is awesome, and I expected as much from you my friend.

Thanks Harry. However, I think it pales compared to the list of your CPO/MDG discs by obcure composers!

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 04:26:11 AMThe second list in part I understand too! :)

You understand? It may be shocking for many that a classical music fan with 600-700 classical CDs does not have single dics by Verdi, Mahler or Brucker! I just haven't been interested of those composers yet.

71 dB

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 16, 2007, 04:35:07 AM
As my original post pointed out, collecting many versions of one work and collecting many different composers is not mutually exclusive...given enough time and money that is. Twenty years hence, dB, you might very well find yourself with a dozen versions of the Enigma plus hundreds more composers. Give it time and you too may become as insane as the rest of us  ;D

Sarge

Yes, you are right. I feel old but I have noticed most of people here are much older than me. Many of you started collecting music before I was born! What's the average age here? Over 40? I am 36. I was 25 when I started to get interested of classical music!  :o

Enigma variations is included on every other Elgar disc and I already have half dozen for orchestra and 2 for solo piano.  ;D I'm half-insane already.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 16, 2007, 04:42:06 AM
Thanks Harry. However, I think it pales compared to the list of your CPO/MDG discs by obcure composers!

You understand? It may be shocking for many that a classical music fan with 600-700 classical CDs does not have single dics by Verdi, Mahler or Brucker! I just haven't been interested of those composers yet.

Well that's why I said in part, the Bruckner/Mahler part I did not understand.
And Verdi, well I have a three cd box from Chandos with his overtures, balletmusic etc, and that is a firm recommendation, but my sympathy stops there! ;D

Bunny

I have only one version on Walton's 1st Symphony but I have also dedicated discs of such "obscure" composers as:

Tarquinio Merula, William Lawes, Caspar Kittel, Johann Adolf Hasse, Johann Friedrich Fasch, Michel-Richard Delalande, Louis-Nicolas Clérambault, Nikolaus Bruhns, John Blow, Alfonso X, Orazio Benevolo, Joseph Bodin de Boismortier, Antonio Caldara, Giacomo Carissimi, Francesco Onofrio Manfredini, Paolo Lorenzani, Leopold Hofmann, Francesco Geminiani, Georg Muffat, Johannes Schenck, Johann Baptist Vanhal, Francesco Maria Veracini, Sylvius Leopold Weiss, Johann Rosenmüller, Antonio Rosetti, Monsieur de Sainte Colombe, Sergey Ivanovich Taneyev, Barbara Strozzi, Harold Truscott, Philipp Wolfrum, Matthias Weckmann, Michael Haydn, Rued Langgaard, Jacques Paisible, Jacques-Martin Hotteterre, Jean-Nicolas Geoffroy, Joseph-Guy Ropartz, Kôscak Yamada, Michael Praetorius, Pierre de La Rue, Frederic Mompou, Christoph Graupner, and of course Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf.

At the same time I don't have a single disc of the following well-known composers:

Bartók, Bruckner, Ives, Janácek, Liszt, Lutoslawski, Mahler, Messiaen, Paganini, Penderecki, Poulenc, Respighi, Schoenberg, Johann Strauss jr & sr, Telemann, Vaughan Williams, Verdi, Weber & Webern.

Well, what are you waiting for?  Get Cracking!  ;)

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2007, 04:50:10 AM
Well that's why I said in part, the Bruckner/Mahler part I did not understand.
And Verdi, well I have a three cd box from Chandos with his overtures, balletmusic etc, and that is a firm recommendation, but my sympathy stops there! ;D

Well, I have never found Bruckner or Mahler that interesting. Years ago a working pal borrowed me all Bruckner symphonies and I found it a boring process to go thru them. Also, I am pissed off by the fact that people keep these guys in so high esteem while Elgar's superb symphonies are kept in marginal, especially the 2nd. So, it takes some mental effort from my part to explore these composers "again".

I found it easy to get used to "romantic" opera singing but getting used to Verdi's and Rossini's music has been hopeless so far. Puccini I like a lot, he is operatic Italian Elgar!

Quote from: Bunny on April 16, 2007, 05:36:59 AM
Well, what are you waiting for?  Get Cracking!  ;)

I'm waiting for their turn! I am awaiting the arrival of Bach/Suzuki 18 and the new album of Swedish pop band Standfast. I also have 7 Naxos discs inside plastic wrapping to be listened to. The next disc I buy is most probably by Persian world music group Axiom of Choice. So, the world of music is crowded and even the best composers in history need to wait for their turn.

Don

Quote from: 71 dB on April 16, 2007, 06:56:16 AM
Well, I have never found Bruckner or Mahler that interesting. Years ago a working pal borrowed me all Bruckner symphonies and I found it a boring process to go thru them. Also, I am pissed off by the fact that people keep these guys in so high esteem while Elgar's superb symphonies are kept in marginal, especially the 2nd.

There are always some aspects of life that are not pleasing.  You'll just have to bite the bullet on this one.

Harry Collier

I'm similar to Sarge: I've been actively buying recordings since 1955, my home is paid off, my children out in the world, and my money now goes on music, books, food, wine and travel. After well over 50 years, I've accumulated a lot of recorded baggage, but still keep on buying since I'm interested in different players and interpreters, as well as in different music and composers. I now have recordings of approximately 12,000 pieces of music (I index by piece of music, rather than by physical medium). So as far as I am concerned, rather than possessing 71 recordings of the Brahms Violin Concerto, over the years I have assembled 71 different performances of Brahms' Op 77.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry Collier on April 16, 2007, 07:17:12 AM
I'm similar to Sarge: I've been actively buying recordings since 1955, my home is paid off, my children out in the world, and my money now goes on music, books, food, wine and travel. After well over 50 years, I've accumulated a lot of recorded baggage, but still keep on buying since I'm interested in different players and interpreters, as well as in different music and composers. I now have recordings of approximately 12,000 pieces of music (I index by piece of music, rather than by physical medium). So as far as I am concerned, rather than possessing 71 recordings of the Brahms Violin Concerto, over the years I have assembled 71 different performances of Brahms' Op 77.

How many performances of Brahms' Op 77 did you have when you were 36? I don't have any version of the work yet! I think the times have changed and new fans of classical music have much broader universe to explore. I might be mistaken but I bet the selection of composers and works were very limited back in 1955. So, it was about performances. Nowadays we have labels like Naxos, MDG and CPO providing us with never-before-heard repertoire. So, I have been busy exploring for example middle baroque cantatas and Brahms' Op 77 has never had it's change...

Greta

How to get a hold of them-

Search in unlikely places, I found CDs selling used at Amazon.co.uk for a decent price that weren't even available (or at high price) in the U.S. Great for British composers, which is what I was checking out (Holst and Elgar :D).

Always if you can buy from the small shops on Amazon, using the "Used & New" Link beside the product. I have foudn their descriptions of condition to be spot on and some use insanely fast shipping, even if you selected the cheapest option!

I also borrow from friends to audition discs. I have a lot of musical friends and we swap CDs, or if they're online we send a few tracks back and forth on a messenger. This is invaluable to really know if you want to purchase a CD (even if I have a copy, I want to have the actual disc in in its full original sonic glory.)

And only in the last resort, there are other ways, that I'm not fond of using. But I have that to thank for introducing me to new composers, and at least getting to just hear a work I've never heard before.

When looking to buy multiple recordings, I have come to always look up recomendations on here first, I take the comments, consider the interpretation that sounds as if it would best suit me, and haven't regretted a purchase yet. :D

I will want to add more recordings of a work if 1.) I love it 2.) I like it but feel another interpretation would help my appreciation 3.) if I see one particular recording get consistent raves

I find with research I'm usually pretty happy at 3 for anything I like, some exceptions are: a work I love but also just adore the recording, and there are few other alternatives for it; Mahler symphonies, because I just love to hear how different interpreters vary in certain sections and am already passing 3 on a few; and warhorses that are rewarding with many interepretations, such as The Rite of Spring, (maybe 6 or 7 there), Scheherazade, Daphnis and Chloe (4 each); and the the one work I would like to be a completist on someday, Holst's Planets. (I'm in the mid-30s on it so far.) LOL A weakness from when I was really young, and I still get excited with anticpation just like a kid each time I get a new one. Even the subpar ones are interesting in certain ways.

knight66

Now, 71Db, I vividly recall offering to send you some versions of your favourite music, but you told me basically you were not a charity case. Being given CDs has added quite a few versions of pieces to my collection.....so, think on lad.... as they say in parts of England.
Like Sarge, I have been collecting for a long time. Also, certian pieces seem open to a wide range of interpretation and I do add to my fovourite pieces if I find an offer at a tempting price.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

71 dB

Handel's Messiah is one work that I feel several versions would be nice. I have 2 versions:

Naxos: The Scholars Baroque Ensemble (small scale performance)
Decca: Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Solti (large scale performance)

Quote from: Greta on April 16, 2007, 07:48:33 AM
Always if you can buy from the small shops on Amazon, using the "Used & New" Link beside the product. I have foudn their descriptions of condition to be spot on and some use insanely fast shipping, even if you selected the cheapest option!

I use Amazon Marketplace a lot.  ;)

Poetdante

I agreed with val mostly.
Here I just want to tell my experience.

Collecting nearly 10 years,
I often had to decide between 'expanding repertoires' and 'one more recording that makes me curious'.
Actually, I have been considering about this until now.  :)

In my case,
I have 12 versions of Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 with CD - not include computer files -,
6 versions of Chopin Preludes, and even 7 versions of complete symphony set of Beethoven.
To tell the truth, I listen just 'SOME' recordings what I really like.
Especially, in aspect of Beethoven symphony set, I have not heard whole playing of some sets.
Because of these facts, recently I control myself to 'expanding repertoires'.

However, likely val already wrote, if the piece is what I really love, I cannot bear to listen a new version.
If someone really loves a piece, he will listen many times, even he will see the scores or play the music.
Then he will know or feel about the music better, and he can find a delicate difference in between different recordings.
For example, in the 'Etudes Symphonique' of Schumann, every details of every pianists in the playing are so different.
There can be a 'fantastic' or 'perfect' recordings, but other recordings can show us a different side of the music.
Chopin, forever.

knight66

Quote from: 71 dB on April 16, 2007, 07:47:43 AM
How many performances of Brahms' Op 77 did you have when you were 36? I don't have any version of the work yet! I think the times have changed and new fans of classical music have much broader universe to explore. Nowadays we have labels like Naxos, MDG and CPO providing us with never-before-heard repertoire.

But....Brahms piano concertos are never-before-heard repertoire to you; so why do you feel digging into the obscure to be a superior preference?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

71 dB

Quote from: knight on April 16, 2007, 08:04:23 AM
Now, 71Db, I vividly recall offering to send you some versions of your favourite music, but you told me basically you were not a charity case. Being given CDs has added quite a few versions of pieces to my collection.....so, think on lad.... as they say in parts of England.
Like Sarge, I have been collecting for a long time. Also, certian pieces seem open to a wide range of interpretation and I do add to my fovourite pieces if I find an offer at a tempting price.

Mike

Well, of course it feels strange to receive music from strangers.  ;)

I don't know how to respond such offer....